“Coming back every year!”

Rocking Chair Resort
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mountain Home
Rocking Chair Resort
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Mountain Home
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Coming back every year!”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I spent a week at the Rocking Chair Resort this past summer and I am already calling to book next summer. This word that constantly comes to mind is "peaceful." I have two children (a 4 year old boy, and a 11 year old girl) and the enviroment is perfect for them. The resort is enclosed so you can let your childrem roam free. There seemed to be an enormous amount of children staying there and they all got along. My little girl actually broke down into tears when we had to leave because she was upset about leaving all her "new friends." Their pool is very nice, which is located in the center of the resort. It felt as if the bottom of the pool had just been redone. Our cabin (15) was a large, well-constructed cabin. I've been to other resorts where it feels like you are sleeping outside in the grass with how terrible the cabins are. Not here! Central cooling system. Full sink. Living area. Cable tv and they even had high speed internet in case you need to sneak away to get some work done. The biggest inviting feature the resort had was the friendliness of the staff. The owner Jane always had a smile on her face even when it seemed like she was busy. She was always willing to stop and have a pleasant conversation to make sure we were happy with our stay. Though we had never met before, I felt midweek, that Jane and I had been friends for years. She and the entire resort staff just makes you feel welcome. At night time, after the kids wore themselves out my wife and I had a few wine nights on the patio connected to our cabin. We built a bonfire (which every cabin looked like they had their own pit) one night and another night one of the other ladies staying there built a volley ball net and we all got together to play. Over all, I think the Rocking Chair Resort is a wonderful place. I heard of a lot of fun things to do in the town that is located outside the resort (Mountain Home) but I never got a chance to do them because I was having so much fun relaxing at the resort. I guess there is next year! Thanks again Jane for the wonderful time!

Room Tip: Depending on your need, the resort has many differant types of cabins and condos. From small cabins...
3 Thank BrocAustin

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Jackson, MS
Reviewed July 27, 2011

First thing that I noted when we drove up to our cabin: trash and old patio tables scattered around the parking area/ yard of the cabin. This is a full smoking resort -- the cabin reeked as did the office/general store. This resort does not have any lake or mountain views, but is a short walk to the dock and a short drive to some beautiful views. The cabins are pretty run down and not very well cleaned -- we found crumbs on the floors, the refrigerator was leaking and the coffee pot had very old grounds in it. One of the grills right outside the cabin didn't have a bottom in it and should have been taken to the dump. The children's play area was about 30 feet from a huge trash heap and some of the play equipment was broken and unsafe. The pool was empty for half of our stay (this was beginning of summer, and we were not told that the pool would be out of service - huge disappointment for the kids). When the pool was finally fixed & filled, the owners and what seemed to be all of their friends/relatives were partying there. There were several nights that we heard the resort owners well into the night (smoking and drinking). The game room was a joke. The pool table felt was ripped and stained, and the sofa had stuffing coming out. Needless to say, the few amenities that were offered we were not able to take advantage of because of the horrible condition.

A highlight of our trip was renting a boat to take out onto Norfork lake. The lake was beautiful and the boat was in fairly decent shape. The boat rental rates were comparable to the marina rates, but the marina boats appeared to be in better condition.

One quirky-nice thing was that they had chickens running free. We were welcome to fresh eggs our entire stay. This one perk hardly made up for the disappointment of the rest of the resort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank clh77Jackson_MS
rockinmom6, Owner at Rocking Chair Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2011
We are sorry you were so disappointed and truly wished you had said something to us while you had stayed here. We are a family run resort, not corporately owned. We pride ourselves with personal friendly service. Clean cabins is most important for the survival of our resort. If it did not meet your expectations we would of immediately corrected it. This is our home and yours and we want you to return here not put us out of business. Again we wish you would of told us your concerns.
Due to the heavy rains this Spring the construction on the newly surfaced pool was delayed, it was just as upsetting for us as it was for you. It was filled before your stay was over.
We provide a rustic comfortable atmosphere, .. family friendly. Campfires are allowed, and smoking is allowed.
Our game room has always been a problem because kids do not respect things like they used to. No matter what we put in there, it will get broke by end of week. None of the kids ever complain (they always have a great time) but the parents who don't even watch their kids in the game room do.
As for the playground, the chicken coop and burn pile is what you are referring and is over 100 feet away from play area. There is nothing but paper , box's and chicken eggs over there. Hardly dangerous.
Our daughter graduated High School that weekend and family came in from out of town. Owners are allowed to have a good time occasionally too.
Your complaints are acknowledge, we will always take them serious and correct anything that will make our business suffer. However, it's obvious by your complaints a family owned resort will never meet your expectations and suggest you stay at a 4 star hotel instead,
Nesbit, Mississippi
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We just got back from a week long stay in one of the "condo" style units. I saw the pictures before we traveled and wasn't expecting anything extravagant. I WAS expecting clean and functional. The unit was anything but clean; toilet had black mold ring that vanished after a spray of bleach which tells me it wasn't cleaned prior to our arrival, dirty ash tray in living room (gag!-we don't smoke), pillows were absolutely disgusting-1 covered with black mold spots. Refrigerator took a whole day to reach a cold enough temp to safely keep food. Mgmt's solution was to provide (filthy) coolers and ice while we waited for the refrigerator to cool to adequate temp. Stove had 3 non-functional burners. Oven would randomly and repeatedly turn itself off during 'pre-heat'. Microwave had no functional display. Queen size bed in "master" had a full size fitted sheet crammed onto it. One of the outlets in the other bedroom was missing the cover! If I had been traveling with small children this would have been quite concerning. We were travelling with teenagers who wanted to enjoy the gameroom but that was a bit difficult since it was not air-conditioned - yikes!

6 Thank ColleenHF
rockinmom6, Owner at Rocking Chair Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2011
I have no idea where you got that pillow, but I expected this bad review from you. Upon your arrival you were very upset that our refrigerator could not get cool after you loaded it with all your warm beverages. As we explained, this will happen during hot weather , when you constantly open and close a refrigerator the first day it makes its impossible for the fridge to get back to normal temp.
We asked for you to keep your beverages in a cooler (we provided with free ice) for one night so the refrigerator could "recover"..you said I accused you of breaking our fridge? Everyone else in your party had a wonderful time. You never told me about any other issue with our condo during the rest of your stay. There was nothing wrong with the microwave or stove. Outlet cover has been replaced and we certainly wished you had told us about that while you were here!
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed July 18, 2011

We had a family reunion. We stayed in the 4 BR secluded house as well as the cabin near the 4 BR house. The house was really nice inside , but strange sleeping arrangements. Hospital beds in Master BR. Many sleeping sofas, So I guess this is what they count as sleeping arrangements. We rented Pontoon boat , which was in Horendous conditions, torn seats, filthy deck, nothing worked, Radio had artificial baits in cassette port. After we left, the owner , Jane, called us during trip home and said that we had punched hole in wall of Master bedroom and wanted us to pay for it. ( The hole was in the wall when we arrived at site ). During the week that we stayed, we had to call them to empty the trash during the week.. The hot water heater was not big enough to half fill the tub in the bathroom. We spent over $4000.00 at this place during the week and really had a decent time considering the way it is being run. Please consider other options in the area.

8 Thank chetro
Sorry you feel that way our brand new 4 bedroom 2,400 square foot home is considered our prized possession. It was very easy to detect a hole in the dry wall. The cabin can sleep 14 persons comfortably, children under 13 are free. The king bed is a sealy posterpedic with remotes for your head and feet .
Everyone else enjoyed the ride.
The boat was a 150 hp deck boat. We keep our boats affordable for all, you would of payed way more at a Marina just because you had nice seats. No radio is because it drains your battery and then we have to rescue you on the lake. That happens with all boat rentals and persons who are not familiar with renting a boat. Garbage pick up is 3 times a week, but we always accommadate when you need a pick up sooner. We truly aim to please and you voiced no concerns during your stay. We do hope you give us another try.
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I enjoyed going! I went with my friend and his family and we had a blast! I met a bunch of new friends down there and the lake and pool was fun! I enjoyed all the tree's and the lake. Everyone was so nice there as well. Can't wait to go again! :)

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank ChristopherMeneghini
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Our purpose in traveling to rocking chair ranch resort was a family vacation with kids. Unfortunately we found most of our neighbors to be drinking, smoking, and or using foul language with our next-door neighbors taking each to extremes. The pool was a good size, but was not cleaned ONCE during our week-long stay. By the last of the week, the bottom of the deep-end was covered in algae. The trash and abandoned personal items stayed in the same place on the pool deck all week. The cabin was clean and acceptable, however the playground and grounds were not. I would not recommend this place for families with young children.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank LEARNfromME
wisconsin
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Thanks again for everything. Like I told you when we saw you I loved it down there and I want to move down there when we retire.
We loved the cabin, sitting on the deck looking out over the mountains was very relaxing. Plan on coming back to catch some fish.
Oh yeah we tried El Charros’ on your recommendation and thought it was great.
If any one asks where to stay in Mountain home we’ll send them your way.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family