$69
$66
Daisy Motel(Kirby)(Great Value!)
$68
Country Inn Lake Resort(Hot Springs)(Great Value!)
$88
$55
$52
$99
Home2.com
All reviewslake ouachitamountain harborhorseback ridinghot tubboat rentalsfamily reunionfishing guidegreat view of the lakecatfishguest roomsrelaxing stayback porchhome away from homethe cottagescondolodgepati
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I will and have always loved you guys. I have been on Lake Ouachita since I was a baby this is my home away from home my children know everyone on Dock S and everyone in the office, and at the Marina. You are really a part of the family. When my father passed away a year ago. I came strait here and hid out for 2 weeks too deal with it left to get my affairs in order for a week and came back another 2 week. You helped the kids and myself and husband more than you will ever know. I could feel him with us the whole time we where there. I went to chrystal as well, because this is where my dad became in love with Lake Ouachita, we had a home away from home a originally had one of the boats Tommy is very close to our family as well. I can say that I love Mt.Harbor just as much, nothing beats this place during the 4 of July. Everyone is nice and I love the fact that my puppy can stay with you guys in the office she loves you too! When we want to go straight to the restraunt after we get docked and dont have to go straight to the Condo to drop her off I know she is getting spoiled beyond repair. At the Marina it is just as wonderful everyone is very nice and really care about you it is not just a job to you guys, you treat everyone like family. You can see that you are doing your best to keep this a place to remember. Thankyou and see you soon!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
sparesort, Manager at Mountain Harbor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for your great review! You've touched on everything that we try to accomplish in our service and our committment to our customers - especially our desire to nurture the feeling of family in everything we do. We are a big family and many of our staff have been here 20+ years. It's a huge matter of pride to us when someone calls us family. From all of the staff and families of Harbor, thank you for being a friend...and thank you for being a part of our Harbor family.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We just returned from a wonderful weekend at Mountain Harbor. We originally booked a King Studio at the Lodge but were able to take advantage of a condo special and upgrade to one of the 2-bedroom, 2 bathroom condos. Everyone (staff and guests alike) were very friendly; it definitely felt like we were being welcomed into part of a family. Here are some specifics:

1. The condo. We stayed in one of the condos in East Harbor by Turtle Cove Spa. There were four units in each building with parking in front. Once inside the condo, you felt completely secluded and surrounded by the beautiful trees. It was nice to be able to step outside and realize you were only a short walk from the spa, the lake, and the workout circuit. We met one of the owners of the other condos while unloading our car and they were very friendly and invited us to knock on their door if we needed anything. I think this speaks to the hospitality of the area. There was also a pool by the spa, but we choose to swim at the Lodge pool since there seemed to be more children for our son to play with. The kitchen was very well stocked. The dishes were newer, and there was dish detergent and dishwasher cubes. My only complaint about the room was that it had a slightly "musty" odor when we first arrived. I think this is to be expected (given the rustic setting and proximity to the lake), and a few sprays of Febreze took care of it. The shower pressure was wonderful and the AC (it was just under 100 degrees the weekend we were there) was cold. There was also a deck outside with a grill and table with four chairs. We didn't use the deck because we were so busy and it was hot. If you want to use the deck at night I would recommend some type of bug spray or repellent since you are literally sitting in the trees.

2. The Lodge. Up at Lodge there are two pools - a tiny kiddie pool and a larger pool in back between the Lodge and the marina. The restaurant is in the Lodge and the food is really good. They have a nice soup/salad bar that comes with most entrees or can be ordered separately. It was nice to be able to keep my family filled up with veggies - so often during vacation we eat unhealthy meals. At least one night try the huge sundae with the fudge brownie - YUM!! Across the parking lot from the Lodge is a laundry room and a small playground for kids. One of my favorite spots was on the deck outside the restaurant; I took a few minutes and sat outside with a glass of wine on a rocking chair overlooking the lake. Beautiful!! The Lodge also has "supplies" for purchase - we forgot bug spray and were able to stock up. Other than the outer deck area, I didn't see a "common" area that you find in some lodges (with a fireplace, chairs for socializing, books/videos to borrow, etc.) This area might exist but we didn't see one.

3. The Marina. Wow - the floating store and Subway are really great. Over the course of the weekend we purchased gallons of water for taking onto the lake, snacks, paper cups, sandwich bags, and two life jackets for our son (a traditional one and one for water play.) They also had convenience groceries, water sports supplies, and fishing supplies. It seemed very well-stocked, which is helpful because the nearest store is several miles away (and honestly, is not as well stocked.) Another favorite experience was taking our Subway sandwiches out onto the back dock and taking in the million-dollar view. You cannot help but relax in that setting. Obviously the prices are higher since it is on resort property but we it was worth the convenience.

4. The grounds. We drove around and explored the grounds our first morning. Make sure to check out the view from Micah's point (North Harbor). The Joplin campground area has a nice swimming area; we saw several families with young children swimming there. I'm sure there are many more neat spots but we didn't have time to see it all.

5. The lake. Another wow! I grew up boating on several lakes in Phoenix, AZ. None of those can compare to the beauty of Lake Ouachita. It really is stunning and peaceful. To save money, we drove about 30 miles to Lake Ouachita State Park and rented a 16-ft. fishing boat from the marina ($70 for a full day). The state park also has a pontoon boat for rent that is much cheaper. It took us about 45 minutes to get there one way, but was worth the money savings for us. Even though we weren't renting a boat from the Mountain Harbor marina, the staff at the marina took several minutes to tell us about the lake and recommend places to visit. They are the reason we went out to Hotel Island, which was perfect - easy to find and shallow water for swimming.

All in all a great family getaway! Here are a few more tips that we will remember for next time:

- remember all the supplies (ice chest, sunblock, hats, bug spray)

-remember it is a rustic setting - we went in the middle of the late-summer "spider" season. We could tell the condo had been treated for pest control because many of the "critters" we saw inside were dead, but we did have to share the condo with several 8-legged friends. I am more calm about this now than I was then! Next time I head into relative "wilderness," I will bring peppermint essential oil (as I have heard it repels the spiders).

-even if you are newbies like us you should probably bring some basic camping supplies to spend the day on the lake (e.g. a snake bite kit). We were talking to some fellow guests at the pool who saw some cottonmouths out on the lake. We didn't see any but it pays to be prepared.

-Remember MH is in a dry county. If you do not bring your own wine/beer/etc., you can head out to Lewis Liquor, about 8 miles back down the 270 and over the county line.

We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The Lodge rooms seem to be more in the center of activity but have a few of the lake/marina. The condos are pretty secluded.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank lalagirl22
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have visited Mountain Harbor for 3 years and just love it! I am about to make other reservations for a fall trip. The folks there are so friendly and professional and the cabins are so clean and comfortable! Cant wait to get back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jtreegrl
sparesort, Manager at Mountain Harbor Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thanks for the terrific review! We're so glad you're coming back to see us this fall!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I recently spent 4 days on Lake Ouachita @ Mountain Harbor Resort (MHR) with my wife and sons. The cabin we stayed at on the lake was very clean, quaint, convenient and "just right" for what we needed for the stay. The A/C worked very well even though temps during our stay routinely topped 100 degrees. The hot tub on the back porch was clean, new and operationally perfect. We enjoyed using it every night. Other strong points on the cabin was its comfortable furniture, clean and useful kitchen, and better-than-expected WiFi performance. The family room TV had a DVD player, as did the master bedroom. The upstairs spare room did not however (not a huge deal). The convenience of this property in relation to the main reason for our visit - water recreation on the lake - was perfect. We rented a speed/ski boat at the local marina (which we could see from our deck), and were able to leave the cabin and be in the boat on the lake in less than 15 minutes. The marina people were all friendly and helpful. The boat was practically brand new and performed well for our entire stay. We also used another provider at the marina for some wave-runner rentals. The wave-runners were fun, but a little pricey, especially compared to the hourly price of the ski boat. Also, one of the wave-runners we rented was damaged and the handle bars/starter-button behaved erratically - but still a good time, if not, once again, pricey (for the wave-runners). The marina had a built-in Subway and very well stocked convenience store, which came in very handy for supplies of food, H&B aids, suntan lotion, etc. If you rent a ski boat, be advised that they do NOT come with canopies, so you will be completely exposed to the sun while on the lake - I highly recommend SPF 50+. We could return to the marina in the middle of the day, the staff would meet us at tie-off our boat (there were also free slips you could use that were covered) and we could cool off, have some lunch and relax, then return to the boat for more fun to complete the day - very enjoyable. The lake water was a little low due to the overall drought in the area, but very manageable and no major impact whatsoever. The staff alerts you to areas of particular concern for the lower-water. That said, the lake was HUGE and most of the lake was very deep, so areas over 100'. The lake water was also cleaner than many other locations I've been, probably due to it being within a national park with little private or commercial development along the lakefront itself. We ate one night at the local "Mount Ida Café" which had gotten some suggestions and positive comments on-line. It was just fine with a friendly waitress and comfort-food menu. They don't take credit cards. Another night we ate at the resort's restaurant and it was very similar to Mt. Ida Café. The food was good and the service was friendly; they do take credit cards. Keep in mind this is all a very rural, country setting so the overall patrons at the restaurants was very, very casual - too casual for my liking in one case at the resort's restaurant where we saw a couple of people waiting to be seated in wet bathing suits and no shirts. To be honest, outside our cabin itself, the entire property has more of a "summer camp" feel rather than any sort of "resort" I've ever been to. But that's not necessarily a bad thing as the cabin was perfect, clean and super convenient, friendly. Just don't expect a bunch of high-end environment. If you're coming for a good time on a very nice lake, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I personally liked the more single, isolated cabins ... maybe a little further from the marina, but quieter and more personal. Our cabin was obviously built with handicapped people in mind. Wide doors, walk/roll-in shower, ramps, etc. Not sure if this was just the one cabin or perhaps something related to code.
3  Thank 80sTiger

Your review is exactlly what we enjoy so much about our relationship with Trip Advisor! Great feedback for us and pertinent information for readers from a customer's viewpoint ! We're certainly looking forward to cooler temps next week! We were concerned about the comment about guests in line for seating in the restaurant without appropriate clothing (wearing only wet bathing suits). This is strictly against our policy, however, since our lobby serves both our restaurant and our lodging area, sometimes guests from the pool are in the lobby. We did want to assure that we do not seat guests in swimwear in the dining room without appropriate cover-ups. That being said - you are so right about our casual atmosphere. We love being the place where everyone feels comfortable! Thank you for your review! We're sure that your readers will enjoy it as much as we did. Come back and see us!

Reviewed July 4, 2012

We were picking up our grandson at a camp located near this hotel and was so glad that I found this on Trip Advisor. I had originally booked Embassy Suites in Hot Springs. The food was all delicious, I highly recommend the cheeseburger and onion rings. My husband had a massage at the spa and loved it. We were in a lodge room which was roomy and had a patio with a view of the lake, so relaxing. In the room description it had said "cozy", which usually means tiny, but was pleasantly surprised. The pool was never crowded and in general the property was very serene. We'll be back if he returns to camp in the area. A must see in Hot Springs is the Blade Maxwell magic and comedy show, great family entertainment.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms were close to the lodge/restaurant, could walk and enjoy the quite surroundings.
1  Thank mycountryheart