“Should have been the ONLY place we dug in Arkansas.”
Review of Arrowhead Crystal Mine - CLOSED

Arrowhead Crystal Mine
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Arrowhead was just one stop of many we made while we were there. We read the reviews well ahead of time, as we always do--amazing how beneficial these review sites turn out to be. Of all the places we went while we were in Arkansas, myself, my wife and our five children ALL wish we would have just gone back to Arrowhead each day we were there. I think this mine sets the bar pretty high. There are dozens and dozens of places we'd like to go to dig across the U.S. We only hope our experiences at other dig sites aren't paled by our experience at Arrowhead. I'll tell you what though--making Arrowhead your last stop in Arkansas is both a blessing and a curse: You'll wish you'd been able to spend more than just a day there, but if you dig anywhere else in the Mt. Ida area beforehand, you'll be glad you saved the best for last. Arrowhead is what defined our trip to Arkansas. We went home thoroughly happy, and sad we had to leave. *Tips: Bring plenty of water and snacks--you won't want to leave to get more once you get started there. *Bring toilet paper (I know, I know... But, hey, we're all adventurists, right?) *Bring plenty of canvas bags and/or buckets/containers. When you think you've got enough, throw a few more in. We filled two green canvas military duffle bags, two more smaller canvas buckets and three buckets. This was with the stuff that would FIT in a bag or bucket--there were things I brought home that I had to just lay in the back of the van. *DON'T FORGET THE SUNSCREEN!! *There are plenty of tree lines around to take refuge from the sun--you can even pick through the piles of tailings while you're resting.

11  Thank MMWILLIS

Reviewed May 16, 2010

This will be a great experience for the whole family. I went with my son and found so many crystals we had to buy a suitcase to bring them home and they are BIG!! The man at the site was extermly helpful and knowlegable. Bring some snacks, water and dig away. We will be BACK..

3  Thank maddoghenning
Reviewed May 14, 2010

We love digging for gems and fossils with our grandsons and found the Arrowhead Crystal Mine just a six hour drive from where we live in Springfield, Missouri. You must call ahead and make a reservation to dig. Prices depend on if you just want to take your chances on finding something, or if you want them to open a pocket for you. YOU WILL FIND CRYSTALS HERE! So many of the places we've been gem, crystal, or fossil hunting, you pay a lot and don't come away with much. Arrowhead Crystal Mine is different. Once the owner opens a pocket for you, it's just a matter of carefully extracting the crystals. If you don't want to get dirty, just walk around and pick up small crystals off the ground.

It's very hot down in that part of Arkansas, so we decided on a weekend in October and it was still very hot. There is no shade in the area where you will dig, so bring a big beach umbrella, a hat, and plenty of water. We brought a picnic lunch as well. Take plenty of breaks.

For more information or to make a reservation, checkout their website: http://www.arrowheadcrystals.com/

5  Thank Sailorsgirl
Reviewed November 11, 2009

My friend and I dug for crystals at Arrowhead Mine earlier this week and it was everything we had hoped for and more!! We did the $100 Option (check out their website) and found lots of beautiful crystals. We had about 5 hours to dig before we had to hit the road and it was hard to tear ourselves away. You can stay all day and keep anything you find within the large digging area. Brian, the mine volunteer who helped us was extremely friendly, helpful, and obviously wanted everyone to have a satisfying and safe experience. The road back to the mine was a little rugged but we made it fine in my Focus going slow. We would definitely go to this mine again!!