“Mine has been sold, name changed and is closed”
Review of Arrowhead Crystal Mine - CLOSED

Arrowhead Crystal Mine
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This mine has been sold to new owners and the name has been changed. The previous owner is still conducting business under the arrowhead mine name, operating a website under that name offering mining trips and pretending he still owns the mine which is causing a lot of confusion.

The new owners are very nice people but at this time they have not opened the mine to the public. Beware of anyone doing business under the arrowhead mine name as they no longer own the mine.

I included a link to the new owners website.

31  Thank CrystalMiner

Reviewed March 15, 2012

Well I tried to contact these guys several times. Their number was still valid and I left 2 msgs for them. No return call. On facebook they did not respond, nor did they respond via email.

I am pretty sure they are defunct. Do us a favor and remove your website and change the phone msg. Don't leave us hanging.

11  Thank raevyn007
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I had read some great reviews on Arrowhead Mines, and was very excited to go in September. I was planning my trip a month in advance and called the number on their website to see if they were planning to be open while I was in town. The mailbox was full and I couldn’t leave a message. I sent an email through their “contact us” form. When I didn’t hear back I sent an email through another address on the website. Still no response. A crystal mining forum said that Arrowhead stopped active mining, and I wasn’t going to risk a 400 mile trip if no one was there. After a few more calls and no answer, I had to make other plans.

9  Thank Karen S
Reviewed May 11, 2011

We tried a couple of times to get the operators to meet us at the mine to dig. The first time, he had a flat tire and said he couldn't make it. He replied back that he could make it the next day, but email him to confirm. He would not respond to email or voice mail. We told him there were several of us and we wanted to do "Option 1", but, guess they have other things to do. May 6-9, 2011.

16  Thank dogchipper
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We started out for a weekend trip to Crater of Diamonds, an hour south of here and the woman boarding our dogs suggested we go here "first" so our 12 year old son would have some "success" first THEN hit the diamond crater and when he didn't find anything, at least he had his crystals. So we discussed it as a family on the drive to Arkansas from Texas and decided it would be fun if nothing else. We arrived right at opening (which my Arkansas guide book recommended we do) and the owner told us we were the first to dig in this newly blasted mine. We felt a little overwhelmed. We had stopped (again, at the advice of the guidebook) at Wal Mart on our way in and bought some screwdrivers and leather garden gloves to dig with. The others who showed at opening had trailers, rakes, tools, buckets, teams of people...you name it! The owner showed us a mound of dirt and we hit it. A serious collector (who sold them to the tourist shops, we think) was tickled at us because we were so excited at the HUGE landscaping rocks we were finding! He kept showing us the smaller, clear crystals we were SUPPOSED TO BE looking for, but we were ecstatic that these smaller, clear crystals were jutting out of these huge 50 lbs rocks we were finding for our garden at home! 3 hours later, my husband forced my son and I to leave for fear that our small SUV (Toyota Rav) would never make it home as weighed down as we were.
This place is dirty. Don't wear your good shoes or vacation clothes. The red dirt in Arkansas is iron laden and stains. You can stay as long as you like and take as much as (or whatever) you like. There are others up the road, but we were told by the "pros" in this mine that the others were cheaper in cost, but they also "assigned" you the bucket of dirt, meaning, it was seeded or at least they knew more or less what you were going to find in there,so you weren't getting an "all you care to take" of crystals deal at the others. Bummer. We couldn't STOP finding crystals and had a difficult time getting out of here. It is a great afternoon for the kids, our son loved it and has told his friends at school. Have had parents calling and emailing us for information ever since. It is really a great activity for all kids. Not easy access and no wheelchair access. You have a good unsteady hike to the mines. But fun, fun, fun for anyone who still LOVES to dig in the dirt and find fun stuff! Kind of like an Easter egg hunt!
The owner told us the business was sold to a couple, but there were possibly going to be some hang ups with the sale of the business so you definitely need to call before you go out there to make sure they are open when you are planning to go. Be sure you take the gardening gloves (leather ones) as the crystals are sharp and some paper to wrap them in for the drive home. We only lost "one" crystal for failure to wrap. A suggestion we have for you is stop along the way and grab those free advertising newspapers at gas stations and use those to wrap! OH! and no restroom. Make sure you go before you get here! And bring a picnic lunch! Great to stay for an afternoon!

16  Thank Wanetta W