“Like coming home ... satisfying all around ... food, service, view”
Review of Petone Beach Cafe - CLOSED

Petone Beach Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 2, 2014

"Lets find a good cafe near water and with a good view."
"Yes! The kind of place where we can feel really comfortable, that has good food and great coffee."
Found it! It is Petone Beach Cafe ... formerly Hoopers Cafe.

I love to go to the Petone Beach Cafe. I feel really comfortable there. Lets start with the staff and service. Amy is one of the owners. I think she took over the business when her father passed on. From the first time I visited the cafe, she was friendly and engaging. Now each time I visit, she makes a point to come over and say hello. And this friendliness and level of service has been passed on to the people who work at the cafe. It may sound silly, but it's really nice to feel this welcome.
The coffee ... really good. So much so that I had to ask what coffee they use. It's a local one.
The food ... really tasty and good size portions. I decided to indulge this past few week because I was so hungry and it had been an emotionally challenging day. I ordered pancakes. They came stacked with bananas and bacon. The portion size was perfect (because sometimes a serving of pancakes at a cafe can be too large). I ate it all with delight.
The atmosphere ... there is a small car-park and parking on the street. Although the street is busy, parking always seems to be available. The cafe is upstairs, spacious with wood floors and the doors open up to Petone Beach. The view to the left is Eastbourne and Days Bay ... to the right is the coastline to Wellington ... in the middle is Somes Island and the Bay opening to Cooks Strait. Although most of the seating is indoors, there are a few tables on the deck overlooking the beach. I almost always have been able to sit outside if I wanted to.
I think they are serving dinner now, and there is a bar as well. Because of its location and the amount of space the cafe has, they also hire-out for events. I keep thinking that I'd love to have a party here.