“a lovely setting” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Castro
givatayim, Israel
“a lovely setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spend three nights in this hotel in late October. We, very wisely, chose to pay the supplement in order to have a room in the new wing. We don't know about the old section, but our room ( the hotel calls it a matrimonial suite) is very large and beautifully furnished, and the cream of it was the spectacular view, all the fiord and the peninsula right from the bed.
The hotel in general is nice, with a feeling of a Swiss chalet, all made of logs. the restaurant also have the view. We had dinner the first night and it was really good.
The breakfast was as average, like in all the other hotels we have been in Chile.

Our only but important complain is about the shower. Something is wrong with the plumbing because during all our stay the hot water came dirty, with an brownish color.of corrosion. We had our daily shower with cold water, very clean but, in Chiloe in October the weather isn't very warm.

Room Tip: It's worth to pay the price for a room in the new wing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Nice place, good location. I stayed with my wife and two daughters (2 year and 3 months) over a long weekend. The room was fine, with a nice view. The heating system was disappointing, very unstable, on and off in a weird pattern. Service was very nice, friendly people with good will. The problem was that the hotel lacked of personnel, breakfast time was disastrous! 2 girls serving more than 40 people at a time in a buffet style, no way they could do it!
There was a major issue that I considered "a very wrong decision " by the administration: they installed an ashtray in the hall, separating outside with the main entrance, so people would gather to smoke right on the main way in/out, also, smoke made it's way in trough the main lobby, unacceptable ...

Overall I liked the place, the prices were very good ad the food was nice, if they solve the "smoking issue " (easily) I would recommend the place.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank birutilla
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Be careful when you book in this hotel and make sure you are set up in the new area. I cannot stress how important this is. I stayed for 3 weeks straight on a business trip in the old part of the hotel and the rooms where smaller than my college dorm room. The shower was ridiculously small and the shampoo and soap we were given was bad. The new rooms are very nice but availability I very limited.
The staff was extremely friendly and the food at their bar was ok. I stayed up at the bar because I did not like the service in the actual restaurant. Breakfast was however terrible, typical south American food which is ham, cheese and bread along with juice, yogurt and cereal; but the quality of the food was not good.
I did hear everywhere that this is the best hotel in town so I really would not like to imagine how any of the others are. If you visit Castro wait until the end of the year when the new hotel is open by the newly built casino.

Room Tip: Be sure to request the NEW part of the hotel where the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Camilo S
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here for one night in December 2011. The hotel is located within walking distance of the town's main square, where most of the bars and restaurants are.

The free parking for guests is much appreciated (although it was very crowded and it took me quite some manoeuvering to get out of my spot again in the morning).

The rooms are quite spacious, and very clean - nothing to complain about here. Staff are very friendly.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 1800 for a 3-night stay to find our room in the new wing has been given away, in spite of us booking 1 month in advance with a confirmation voucher to prove this. We had no choice to stay the first night in the old part. Tiny room and very shabby. Moved to the new wing for the remaining 2 nights. Large airy room with picture windows looking out to the water. Restaurant very popular in the evening - breakfast not so good - a fairly limited choice.
Internet in the new wing good, old wing not good.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Valencia, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

When we arrived we were asigned a bedroom which had nothing to do with the photos you see in their website. It was tiny, the bedroom was very old and the bathroom was in badly need of refurbishments. We were looking forward to get to the hotel because we had seen how nice it looked like and at the vision of such room we were really disapointed. We complained at the reception that these kind of rooms are not shown in their website and they do not tell you the rooms are this old. The thing is that part of the hotel has been remodelated and the other part hasn't. We waited for a while and finally we got the room the lovely,new, big room with the huge bed you see in the publicity. All the staff was kind and the breakfast was really nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

I went to Chiloe at the last minute, so I didn't have any reservations for places to stay/sleep. I night they had an open room, so I stayed. Here is my honest and unbiased review of Hosteria de Castro:

From the outside the hotel look nice, but a little oddly built. It looks like it has solar panels on the roof. It has a water view of the bay, which is nice for some rooms. My room was on the side and did have somewhat of a water view. Inside the hotel was clean and nicely decorated. There was nothing special that really stuck out about it to me.

The front desk workers were pleasant and nice. They did speak some English, but I spoke my broke, but half decent Spanish with them.

The room was a single bed with your basic nightstand, suitcase holder, TV, and desk. The bathroom was clean and presentable. Again, nothing really that stood out to me. The room rate was $41.000 CLP or around $85 USD. The value was ok.

The breakfast, which is included in the room rate, was your typical Chilean hotel breakfast: coffee, tea, pastries, bread, juices, jelly, cheese, and deli meats. Again nothing that really stood out to me.

The worst part of my experience was the lazy barman! He did absolutely nothing to make you feel like a customer. I sat at a table and I had to ask him for a menu, a drink, food, and walk up to the bar to get his attention for the check! As Donal Trump would say, "YOUR FIRED"! The man should definitely find another line of work that does not involve customer service. It reflected in my tip as well!

All in all the Hosteria de Castro is a nice place to stay. A lot better than some of the hostals I stayed in. Nothing special about the place, but a half decent option.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Gringo66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castro
Enjoy Chiloe Hotel de la Isla
Tierra Chiloe
Tierra Chiloe
#4 of 8 in Castro
Panamericana Hotel Ancud

Been to Hotel de Castro? Share your experiences!