“Good place!”

Hostal Torre de Babel
Ranked #4 of 31 Castro B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights in a double room and it was definitely nice. The bathroom was huge and clean, and even had a bathtub! The room was also good, and had WIFI and TV. We did not see the owner a lot, but he was around and helpful in the morning when we were figuring out our plans for the day. The breakfast was also basic but good - bread, cheese, yogurt, coffee, etc. A nice place to stay in Castro!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here in a double room for 3 nights,

This place is definitely one of the most luxurious I've stayed in during my 10 months travelling. The room was spacious, clean, the bed was so comfortable and to top it all off there were English speaking channels on the tv -yay!!!

The shared bathroom was immaculately clean and towels included. I was excited to see a bath tub but alas, there was no plug :-(

We didn't see the owner too much but when we did he was friendly and helpful.

The breakfast was included in rate and consisted of fabulous coffee, bread, eggs and jams.

The kitchen facilities were good, everything you needed.

The place really felt homely.

Likes:

Homely feel
Uk tv channels (I know it's sad!!)
Cleanliness
Breakfast
Location

Dislikes / improvements

I would have really liked a bath in that tub. A plug would have been great.

Would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I've travelled across Chile and this was by far the best breakfast I've had at a hostel. Hot showers and comfortable rooms. This isn't a hostel for meeting people, but if you're looking for a quaint cozy place in Castro, I highly recommend it.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I didn't know what to expect of this hostel because we weren't able to find out much about it when we made the booking. All I can say is, it was lovely, and I would definitely recommend it! The rooms were clean and the owner and staff very friendly. Breakfast in the kitchen was very nice and home-like. The location is not amazing, it's a bit of a walk from the center, but we were fine with that. Very nice place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed for several nights at the Torre de Babel while I explored Chiloé and found it an absolute delight. Luis, the owner, is incredibly friendly and has great English if you need it, but he's also more than happy to suffer through gringo Spanish kindly which I always really appreciate. He gave me lots of great tips on how to get around and saved me a small fortune by giving me the ins and outs of the local buses and hitchhiking protocol on the island (yes, it is safe and yes, it is a great way to get around on Chiloé). The breakfasts were simple but delicious and Luis was always available to help me review my plans for the day and offer suggestions. He suggested some churches that were not on the UNESCO list but were my favorites even so, and by the time I had to leave I found myself wanting to stay much longer. The owner of a place so often sets the mood, and the way that Luis is the center of the house at breakfast both helps with questions like mine and brings guests together. I don't think it was any coincidence that almost all of the guests staying there while I was started gathering and chatting in the afternoons and evenings. My room was comfortable (a smallish double bed) and the shared bathrooms were too few for the people in the house, but by showering when I got back in the afternoons I was able to avoid the traffic jam. The only trouble was the last night I was there, which was Easter, when Luis had some friends over and things got a little rowdy on the porch, outside my window. To their credit, though, they were really polite and quieted down as soon as they realized I was headed to bed, though it was early and they were clearly having a great time. I recommend the Torre de Babel 100% and it is one place I'll absolutely return one day.

Room Tip: the rooms on the lower floor can be loud, especially the ones closest to the kitchen. If you aren...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank onimity
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in feb, the guesthouse is on the other side of town to the bus terminal bus it's a small town so only a ten minute walk. The owner luis is very friendly and helpful. Our issue with the guesthouse is the rooms, we stayed in two, one with a double bed which was okay but not very big and the bed was small and not overly comfortable. The second night was in bunk beds. The bunk beds were in a private room but I have seen bigger closets, tiny uncomfortable beds and no room to leave bags so we could hardly see the floor when our stuff was on it.
The breakfast was simple and fine nothing special.
As I said the owner was very nice but the rooms are very poor value and the guesthouse is a bit gloomy. We have been travelling for many months and this was the worst value room we have stayed in at CLP 26000 for two people or nearly $52.
We have no problem staying in more basic rooms as long as the price reflects that and even though as a married couple we were moved from the double to the tiny bunk beds the price didn't drop. Since it was a local festival there was no opportunity to switch guesthouse which we would have done.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I Was there three days with my boyfriend and we really like it. Everything Was perfect, specially the breakfast, you can eat as much as you can. Luis, the owner is very friendly. We recommended 100% that place.

• Stayed: November 2012