“Excellent hostel”

Ranked #4 of 29 Castro B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent hostel”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I didn't know what to expect of this hostel because we weren't able to find out much about it when we made the booking. All I can say is, it was lovely, and I would definitely recommend it! The rooms were clean and the owner and staff very friendly. Breakfast in the kitchen was very nice and home-like. The location is not amazing, it's a bit of a walk from the center, but we were fine with that. Very nice place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed for several nights at the Torre de Babel while I explored Chiloé and found it an absolute delight. Luis, the owner, is incredibly friendly and has great English if you need it, but he's also more than happy to suffer through gringo Spanish kindly which I always really appreciate. He gave me lots of great tips on how to get around and saved me a small fortune by giving me the ins and outs of the local buses and hitchhiking protocol on the island (yes, it is safe and yes, it is a great way to get around on Chiloé). The breakfasts were simple but delicious and Luis was always available to help me review my plans for the day and offer suggestions. He suggested some churches that were not on the UNESCO list but were my favorites even so, and by the time I had to leave I found myself wanting to stay much longer. The owner of a place so often sets the mood, and the way that Luis is the center of the house at breakfast both helps with questions like mine and brings guests together. I don't think it was any coincidence that almost all of the guests staying there while I was started gathering and chatting in the afternoons and evenings. My room was comfortable (a smallish double bed) and the shared bathrooms were too few for the people in the house, but by showering when I got back in the afternoons I was able to avoid the traffic jam. The only trouble was the last night I was there, which was Easter, when Luis had some friends over and things got a little rowdy on the porch, outside my window. To their credit, though, they were really polite and quieted down as soon as they realized I was headed to bed, though it was early and they were clearly having a great time. I recommend the Torre de Babel 100% and it is one place I'll absolutely return one day.

Room Tip: the rooms on the lower floor can be loud, especially the ones closest to the kitchen. If you aren...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank onimity
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in feb, the guesthouse is on the other side of town to the bus terminal bus it's a small town so only a ten minute walk. The owner luis is very friendly and helpful. Our issue with the guesthouse is the rooms, we stayed in two, one with a double bed which was okay but not very big and the bed was small and not overly comfortable. The second night was in bunk beds. The bunk beds were in a private room but I have seen bigger closets, tiny uncomfortable beds and no room to leave bags so we could hardly see the floor when our stuff was on it.
The breakfast was simple and fine nothing special.
As I said the owner was very nice but the rooms are very poor value and the guesthouse is a bit gloomy. We have been travelling for many months and this was the worst value room we have stayed in at CLP 26000 for two people or nearly $52.
We have no problem staying in more basic rooms as long as the price reflects that and even though as a married couple we were moved from the double to the tiny bunk beds the price didn't drop. Since it was a local festival there was no opportunity to switch guesthouse which we would have done.

• Stayed February 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I Was there three days with my boyfriend and we really like it. Everything Was perfect, specially the breakfast, you can eat as much as you can. Luis, the owner is very friendly. We recommended 100% that place.

• Stayed November 2012
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A friend and I spent two days in Castro during Fiestas Patrias and chose Torre de Babel based on a friend's recommendation. The hostel is very easy to find, but its location can be off-putting at first - it's about a 10 minute walk from the plaza and is on a dirt road that veers slightly off of the main road. It's actually a very safe neighborhood and we (two very foreign-looking girls) felt comfortable walking around at night.

Pros:
- Luis, the owner, was probably one of the nicest hosts I've come across. He went out of his way to make our stay as comfortable as possible.
- Although the rooms were a bit cold (September is still the end of winter down south and there's no central heating), the beds were amazing and kept us warm all night.
- The common areas were kept spotless and warm and were actually used by all the guests.
- The breakfast was amazing!! Fresh and local food, a variety of tea, and REAL coffee! (that might've just been a special occasion, but I'll take it) Luis also made sure that breakfast was served until late - no worries about waking up too late for breakfast here.

Cons:
- The only con is the bathroom situation. There are two very large bathrooms, but as the owner warned us upon arrival, they don't handle the morning demand very well. I had the bad luck of having the gas run out in the middle of my shower (for the record, Luis called the gas company - on a holiday - and got more to the house within an hour) and the pipes clogged up from simultaneous use of both bathrooms. Other than that, the bathrooms were great - just try to use them during off-hours.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Asuncion, Paraguay
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Stayed there for 5 days and we really enjoyed it. Not far from the bus station and a couple of nice restaurants in the area. Place is very clean, bathrooms spotless clean and a very healthy breakfast. Luis, the owner knows a lot about the island and can help you out for a couple of outdoor activities. WiFi included.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank DutchPete54
Geneva
Reviewed November 19, 2011

It's a good place to make a break in Chiloe. The breakfast is very good.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo