“Rustic and perhaps too rustic for some”

Panamericana Hotel Ancud
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ancud
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I was at this hotel with a group. We left at 8:30am and returned at 6pm, which is when I discovered that the door to my room was open, with the official room key in the lock. The office had no explanation. They can question all they want the way I left the room, the fact is that I was gone all day and housekeeping was in the room at some point. The bigger gotcha is that they apparently have only one key per room. Per their instructions I had left the key with the front desk. Clearly they gave it to someone who then went in my room.

I did not even get an "I'm sorry" from anyone at the hotel. I was on a 5-week trip with lots of bits and pieces so it would be easy for something to be gone and I not know for days/weeks.

If this had not happened I would be happy to give it more stars. It has a rustic vibe (OK, to some people it’s actually shabby) and a great view of the water. Inside a fire was going in the lobby, which made for a great place to relax in the evening. We had dinner there one night and the food was just fine.

We had been warned that the rooms would be small. They are not. What they are is consumed by too-large beds. That’s why it was a challenge to use the room. On the upside, you probably are there for the sights and not the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife and I stopped here for one night during a birding trip to Chiloe Island. The hotel's location is outstanding but it has little else to recomment it. The rooms are tired and need updating. The staff, although polite, seem listless. We were there for New Year's eve and signed up for a special dinner (see review for Hotel Ancud Restaurant). The food was barely edible and the service poor. We left at 10 pm hungry rather than finish our meals.

I do not know if there are better choices in Ancud. I hope so.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DoctorPaul
Reviewed March 26, 2013

First thing to say is that Chiloe is well worth a visit. It is a haunting place (see pictures on http://justaddpictures.wordpress.com). But there may be no good hotels on the island, certainly not this one. Public areas are fine and food was actually pretty good. But rooms are very small, decaying and uncomfortable. Window would not close properly in our room, and all rooms are ground floor. The bed seemed clean but that is much as I can say. But don't be put off from visiting Chiloe; it was a highlight of our time in Chile

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James H
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Bear in mind that this may be the only hotel in Ancud. At least that is what I was told. Not much worked well in the hotel or our room but it is a place to sleep. Not much in the way of the normal amenities and the furnishings are not much to speak of. However, Ancud and the entire Island of Chiloe are worthwhile as a place to visit if you enjoy a holiday that is short on tourist activities but long on great experiences with the local people and their culture mixed with some great seafood and excursions to see the penguins and sea birds.

Room Tip: Didn't see much to choose from. Simply grin and bear it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank troutbum2
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The public rooms in this lodge-type hotel are lovely; the restaurant is excellent and the staff very friendly. The hotel is located next to the fort so it is an easy walk to see the cannons and the historical site. I had room 111 - which can best be described as “cabin-type.” It was clean and had everything I needed including a flat-screen TV with CNN and BBC. It had a sea-view and is small-ish. I moved the furniture around in order to get better lighting for reading and a little more room to move around in

The restaurant in the hotel is excellent with good service. Wi-fi is fast and complimentary. I enjoyed working on the balcony over the restaurant -- great ocean views.

Its about a 15 min. walk down the hill to the main square.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms have a better view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Esther P
Reviewed May 26, 2012

The hotel has a good location not far from the village center and there is a beautiful view to the village and to the sea from the dining room. Unfortunately the rooms having a nice view were under renovation. The room where I stayed was very small, cold and in need of renovation. The price was far too much compared to other hotels in Ancud. The staff did not speak English.
Taina, Finland

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed January 27, 2012

The rooms are small, but the views from the deck are great. Limited options in Ancud make this a good choice.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank EclipseChaser8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ancud
Hotel Balai
#5 of 8 in Castro
Hotel Unicornio Azul
Hotel Unicornio Azul
#7 of 8 in Castro

Been to Panamericana Hotel Ancud? Share your experiences!