“everything you can ask for”
Review of Hotel Don Lucas

Hotel Don Lucas
Ranked #5 of 14 Ancud B&B and Inns
Santiago, Chile
“everything you can ask for”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

It is simple and sligthly spartan in acommodation, but you are going to be at the sea side, two blocks from the main square, and the staff could not be more helpfull.
Everything was really clean, and unless you're looking for 300 / 400 cotton sheets, you will find yourself in a comfortable room

Room Tip: ask for front rooms, trafic will be not a problem
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Orange City, Florida
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Unable to locate a vacant hotel prior to our arrival, we visited the tourism office at the main plaza in Ancud. Hotel Don Lucas was recommended as a newer hotel that might have vacancy since they were less well known. As we drove up our spirits were buoyed by the exterior appearance and we were relieved to find that they had rooms available. We knew that the other hotels and hostels in Ancud were booked to capacity for Saturday night, but didn't realize that there were hardly any guests staying at this property. I saw only four other people the entire stay. This should have alerted me to something being amiss, but we were just so happy to have a room we were blind to these signs.

The rooms, although small, were well appointed with a small television and free WiFi. There is no elevator and only one handicapped room on the ground floor, so if climbing stairs is a concern, confirm that this room is available. If you have heavy bags, they do have a person who can carry them up to your room.

The accompanying photos provide views of the rooms, restaurant, etc.. There is hotel parking below and behind the hotel. This is a clean and comfortable hotel, albeit overpriced.

The management problems revolve around the quoted/posted room price and the "Factura de Exportación." For those of you not familiar with the Factura de Exportación, I will explain: Chile, in an attempt to promote tourism, offers foreign visitors an exemption on the hotel tax if paying with Dollars on a foreign credit card or in cash. This means that you do not have to pay the 19% IVA tax that is normally charged on everything you buy in Chile.

When we inquired about the room rate we were told USD$114 or 56,000 CLP. I then asked if they offered Facturas de Exportación and was told, "Yes we do, but you have to pay in dollars." Then I asked if the rate included IVA or not and they told me, "No, IVA is added on." That meant that this room which is really only worth about USD$70-80 would cost me the full $114. (I then understood why there were rooms available.) The real problem came at check-out. I asked about the Factura de Exportación and was told that the price is the same if I pay in Dollars or Pesos and, by the way, we cannot take any credit cards other than the local Redbank cards. This means that they DO NOT offer Facturas de Exportacion and that we were lied to on the previous day. I travel a lot, as some of you know from my other reviews. I made a decision to stay at this property based on what I was told prior to check-in. I really resent being lied to, which is exactly what they did. When I demanded to speak with a manager or the owner of the property I was informed that they weren't available and could not be reached, even by cell phone. I paid my bill in Pesos and we departed.

Due to the misleading, if not deliberately deceptive, practices which I experienced, I cannot recommend patronizing this property until they begin an honest pricing and payment policy. Either state that you do not offer Facturas de Exportación or, better yet, actually offer them; likewise, at these rates, only accepting Redbank cards should be made known prior to check-in to avoid problems or embarrassment at check-out . If those changes occur then this would be an acceptable alternative should it fit your price range. Until then, CAVEAT EMPTOR!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GJY2001

Travelers are raving about these Ancud hotels