“Highlight of our trip through South America”
Review of Refugio El Padrino

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Williams
Refugio El Padrino
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Highlight of our trip through South America”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We stayed at El Padrino for a few nights this year. This was one of our best experiences during our travels through South America. The vibe here is absolutely fantastic. There is always something going on that makes you stick around, be it a delicious dinner cooked by our amazing host Cecilia, drinks and chats with fellow travelers, lunches on the terrace in the sun, a warm coffee in the afternoon. Cecilia is such a warm and lovely person. She does her best to make your stay relaxed and fun and always with a big smile on her face and a few jokes in her pocket. She picks you up and drops you off at the airport or ferry, she prepares delicious dinners for her guests, but most of all she creates an atmosphere of fun and joy. This is Patagonian hospitality at its best. We spent a few amazing nights here and met so many lovely people, most of all trekkers through Patagonia like us. It was really hard to leave this place, but we will definitely come back one day. Highly recommend El Padrino. Cecilia, "no worries, be happy/ mucho confusion" ;)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laura M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2014

From the moment we got off the ferry and met Cecilia I knew we'd made the right choice. A cosy, social (but not noisy) hostel with small rooms so you can stay as couples (e.g. rooms with a single bunk / twin).

Plus points:
* Location - beautiful!
* Advice - if Cecilia doesn't know the answer she'll know someone on the island that does
* Breakfast - SA classic but with eggs and other treats
* BBQ - enquire, trust me it's worth it!
* Atmosphere - everyone was so pleased to be there!

The treks are incredible and you know you have a warm shower and comfy bed to come back to. Couple of tips - book your transport on AND off in advance in the peak season - though getting stuck here is part of the charm, if you get the 36 hour ferry you can stay the night (as it arrives at midnight) on the ferry for free!

Thanks Cecilia for our stay - it's one of the highlights of seven months in South America. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steve M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Cecilia, the owner of El Padrino, is the embodiment of Patagonian hospitality. From the moment she met us at the airport, giving us warm hugs as if we were old friends, to bundling us into her 4WD, where we were squeezed up next to some fellow guests, to the beers she gave us as soon as we got in, we knew we were going to feel at home at El Padrino. Cecilia is a fountain of knowledge about the area and able to help with advice from trekking, day hikes, where to eat and drink, to the cheapest supermarkets to shop at. She even helped us get seats on an unscheduled ferry back to the mainland. On more than one occasion she cooked group meals for everyone in the hostel and wouldn't take any extra money from guests. And every day she would buy a whole selection of things for breakfast, from fresh rolls, to eggs, to Christmas cake (we were there at the end of the holiday season). The refugio itself is pretty basic but met all our needs, with comfortable bunk beds in all the rooms, two bathrooms (which was plenty for the size of the group we were) and a well equipped kitchen. There's a cosy wood burning stove in the main living area to help you thaw out after a day's hiking, and a cleaner comes in everyday so the place is always clean. If you are doing the Dientes it would make a perfect start/end base for your trek - you can turn up any time in the day and see if there's a bed free. Ceclila will be along later, and you can be sure of the warmest welcome to the end of the world.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

We have spent 4 days at the El Padrino. It was our greatest hostel stay. There was such an amazing easy cool and family vibe feeling! Cecilia is so cool and has a good heart. She is always willing to help you, sometimes you cook all together or at least eat all together.

Cecilia's most loved words are "no confusion - relax" ;)) So...enjoy Puerto Williams, the Hostel atmosphere and: relax!! ;))

Cecilia....un abrazo de los Suizos (originales) Mario y Sabina :-*

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pascal76100
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed at El Refugio El Padrino for 3 nights. As soon as you arrive you feel like being at home. It is a very cosy and charming place. But most of all, the host Cecilia will make your stay absolutely unforgettable. I stayed in hundreds of hostels in my life and it is the first time that I honestly felt sad to leave this place and Cecilia. She is simply the best hostel owner ever. She will drop by every morning to bring fresh bread for breakfast. The breakfast is very good (fresh bread, butter, jam and free eggs). She will look after you as if you were part of her family. She always come at dinner time to chat with the guests and often cook or bring free food for them. When I was there she made some gluhwien for us and offered us some pizza! How cool is that?!
So do not hesitate one second if you go to Puerto Williams!
I was going to forget. The only favor she will ask you is to look after the fire. Put some logs into it and if you feel like doing some exercise, chop some wood!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Pascal76100
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

What makes this place great is Cecilia, the owner. She goes above and beyond for her guests. She picked me up when I arrived by boat late at night, cooked dinner for me and the other guests every evening, and even took us to the discoteca and danced with us! And she helped me and the other guests arrange flights and boats out of Puerto Williams and dropped us off at the airport etc. I was amazed at her generosity and loved her sense of humour. Staying at Refugio El Padrino is a unique and wonderful experience!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Erica_L111
Toronto
Reviewed May 19, 2013

In my Patagonia trip last December, I flew from Punta Arenas to Puerto Williams (by Aero DAP) for the purpose to take ferry (Austral Broom) back Punta Arenas on next day; to experience the beautiful scene of Beagle Channel, glaciers and cruising through numerous islands in Southern Chile. So I stayed one night at Refugio El Padrio.

This is a wonderful hostel all because of the wonderful lady owner (hostess), Cecilia. She picked me up at airport in early morning; so I had almost one full day experience at this hostel. Cecilia is an extremely open minded and friendly mother-like figure. She treated everybody from different countries like her own family. She drove us to the foothill, so we could climb to top and had a good view of Puerto Williams. Her own family members/friends/relatives also mingled with us and prepared a lunch with lobster and later a BBQ for dinner. Everybody in the hostel cooked, ate, drank (wine/alcohol), chatted and laughed together. A strong family reunion atmosphere prevailed through out the whole house. Remarkable and unforgettable.

The hostel locates right in front of the Beagle Channel. In that evening, suddenly a group of dolphins showed up swimming upstream and everybody rushed out to watch. That sure was an extra unexpected experience. In the next morning, the ferry anchored right in front of the hostel (just cross the street). Cecilia stood in front of the boat and hugged everybody goodby.

After I came back home I sent her an email with my home address and telephone number. I sincerely hope that she will have a chance to visit my city and be my guest in future. I also initiated a review about this hostel as I couldn't find any information on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately, my review didn't appear and I could have not submitted my review properly. Today I am so happy to notice that there are two reviews about Pefugio El Padrino and I immediately jump in to add mine again.

Cecilia, Thanks again. Cheers!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
#1 of 67 in Punta Arenas
No photo provided
Hostal Cabo de Hornos
#2 of 2 in Puerto Williams

Been to Refugio El Padrino? Share your experiences!