“fun on the Fu had to pinch myself”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Futaleufu
Futaleufu River Bio Bio Expeditions Camp
Sacramento, Ca.
“fun on the Fu had to pinch myself”
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My two friends and I are long time lovers of whitewater rafting. We have had our eyes on the Futaleufu for the past 5 years and this was our year to finally make it happen. I expected a great river but what I got was so much more. Amazing food, a setting that was breathtaking, flush toilets, hot showers, and hot tubs and a sauna. I had to pinch myself. I truly an ruined now from all those river trips that don't have beds and a massage therapist on standby. The blue green color of the river was gorgeous and the waves where huge. Our head guide Stan and his crew expertly guided us down some gnarly white water. Us 3 are all in our 50's and we hung pretty well with the 20 and 30 year olds, even riding the wild "duckies" down the Rio Azul. Bio Bio runs their operation like a big family and now that I have joined them in their Patagonia paradise I truly feel like I have been adopted into the tribe.

Room Tip: get a tent away from the bar and the rooster on the hill for a better nights sleep
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I travelled from the UK for this Bio Bio Multi adventure and, if I had travelled a thousand times the distance, it would still have been totally worth it to experience this trip. The camp itself is in a magical setting and is certainly worthy of the description "luxury camping". In fact, staying here with all the excellent facilities felt a bit like cheating! The staff, without exception, are extraordinary people. Friendly, helpful, patient and a lot of fun-they worked so hard to ensure that our group had a great holiday whilst everyone stayed safe and comfortable. Cookie's food, at EVERY meal, would not have disgraced a 5 star restaurant and was worth the journey alone! The activities were so well planned and organised and the rafting was a thrill that a week later I can't stop smiling about. You will not regret this trip. If you are hesitating, these words from Mark Twain may help: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover!"

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2012

It was, quite simply, one of the best times I have ever had. EVERYTHING I read about Bio Bio Expeditions and the Futaleufu trip prior to leaving was spot-on...only MORE. The staff, the locale, THE FOOD...and the water. Wow, the WATER!!! This was an experience I will never forget - not only for the beauty of Patagonia and the amazing hospitality we received from the Bio Bio group, but for the new friends made while on this adventure. YOU MUST GO!!!

Room Tip: Remote tents are quieter than those near the bar/hot tub area.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed March 9, 2012

No hestitation giving a 5 star rating on this one. Bio Bio makes the long trek to Chile meaningless. Would leave again tomorrow.
They are dialed in on what it takes to show adventure travellers a stellar time. Warm, welcoming, safe, smart and detail oriented my expectations were exceeded in every way.
Laughter was had by all!
Do it! You will be more than glad.
( I am already scanning their other offerrings and thinking Galapagos maybe..... )

Room Tip: All the rooms are built over the river! View is spectacular!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Albany, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The first of many more expeditions with Bio Bio. My wife and I have been to some pretty great places in the world, and this was our best experience ever. It's hard to contain my exuberance for this place, but I shall try:

The beautiful camp is nestled among tall mountains on the very edge of the Fulateufu River. One could do nothing but stare at the natural beauty of the area. The camp is a thoughtfully appointed luxury camping experience: Wood-fired hot tubs and saunas, fire-pits, posh sleeping platforms, indoor and outdoor yoga areas that overlook killer views of the river. Damara, resident yogi, leads great morning classes with pithy readings.

Bio Bio's staff is first rate. Rafting guides are warm, thoughtful, fun, cool, international, and worldly. Inexperienced boaters feel safe running big water with their guidance. The camp staff are similarly warm, delivering great hospitality that feels natural. Guests are welcomed like family. Bio Bio owners are fun, and they are committed to delivering a great experience. Bio Bio's support and logistics staff are competent and helpful.

Meals at camp are amazing. Cookie, the Chef, cooks all manner of international dishes - Peruvian, Mexican, Indian, Italian, Chilean Asado, and he could hold his own in a Michelin Star kitchen. Vegetables and spices come from the on-site garden. Wine is plentiful and excellent.

The boating is incredible. The Fulateufu River is sensationally beautiful, and the rapids are a blast. Inferno Canyon is breathtaking. Whether on a raft or kayak (or Ducky) one always feels safe as the safety systems are dialed-in.

My wife said I found my smile again during this trip, and it's true. Bio Bio Expeditions Camp Fulateufu is absolutely incredible.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed March 9, 2012

This was one of the most exciting adventure packed trips I have every been on. All activities described were done and all were extremely fun. One of the best parts of the trip was the way the guides took care of the guests.....very professional, polite, smart, and accommodating. You must do this trip if you are thinking about traveling to Chile!

Room Tip: The 'tents' they provide are like a hotel room. See the images on the Bio Bio website. They...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The rafting was first-rate with very careful planning and execution by the experienced guides. Class 4 and 5 rapids.
Gorgeous, remote, mountain setting with bright aqua river.
The camp was both rustic and luxurious--platform tents with river views, flush toilets and hot showers, hot tubs and sauna, even massages.
Wonderful gourmet meals.
It was a great home in the wilderness to return to every evening.
I travelled alone (small single supplement) and had never rafted. Others in my group of 24 were younger, single and married, from all over the world, and extremely friendly and fun. Most were experienced rafters.
A lot of drinking and dancing at night, which I passed up and retired to my (requested) remote tent up the hill to read and listen to the rushing of the Fu.
The Bio Bio staff were attentive, professional, and delightful.
I'm planning another trip with them next year.

Room Tip: Tents near the bar were noisy. If you want quiet, ask for a remote tent.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo