“Awful communication”
Review of El Reloj Hotel

El Reloj Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Coyhaique
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I made a reservation by email, I received an email back from El Reloj saying that I had to confirm my reservation sending a credit card. I did it. When I called them the day before traveling to make sure everything was fine, they were unable to tell me the status of my reservation because the "system was down". They also said I should have gotten a reconfirmation which I never got. I was lucky to get another Hotel. I am a Chilean so language was not the problem.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank acoustesh
There are newer reviews for El Reloj Hotel

Reviewed July 7, 2011

We were returning to civilization from hiking in Quelat, and appreciated clean, comfortable room. The staff was helpful, and breakfast was good. Good location, on main street at edge of town. Price seemed a little high, but Coyaique is not a cheap town, so reasonable for area and what you get.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We came after a long flight from Israel and realy enjoyed our stay in 2 rooms with a great dinner. Calm atmosphere and pleasant and tasty breakfast. Great view of the Reserva from the windows of the room and breakfast hall.
We came again on our last night after a week in Patagonia and loved it once again.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Our son spent close to 6 months in Patagonia in an outdoor course.... he had a little holiday time and he and his fellow traveling amigo found this treasure of a hotel. We came down in March as his course to get to experience the beauty of Patagonia and our son insisted we stay at El Reloj. I am so happy we did... from the moment we arrived we were so taken care of. The way they treat their guests is indicative of how they treat their hotel.... with love & respect. The hotel is impeccable in every way.... from fluffing up the sofa in the lobby, to steaming the dinner wine glasses before they place them on the table. We speak very little spanish and it didn't matter.... we were able to communicate well enough and Francisco, the owners son speaks english and he is so kind. The view from our windows were spectacular.... the photo I showed was only part of the exquisite panaramic view from our bed. I told my husband quite a few times.... that we could just sit in the room for the view and I'd be happy :) The food was delicious... my family mosty ordered their lamb and salmon dishes. Their presentation is lovely.... They have a nice wine selection as well. We were served a lovely breakfast each morning with a freshly baked tarte, homemade bread, cheeses, meat, cereal, yogurt, fruit salad and wonderful cafe con leche. And.... they have a Wonderful dog.... Adina.... she is part St Bernard and part collie. We loved her ! The whole staff is wonderful and the owners Angel, Adriana, and Francisco found a place in our hearts.... amazing how we didn't even really speak the same language and yet we communicated so well. Mucho Gracious to El Reloj

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank reiki4peace
Reviewed December 11, 2010

When I came down the driveway, I thought "Thank God!". Very quaint, with nice decor. Nice restaurant with linens and china. Comfortable room that was very clean and quiet. Exactly what I was hoping for.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank michaelf50
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 5, 2010

We were disappointed with the service in this hotel. After all, one expects something a little special for US$120 per double room.
Our room was nice enough with comfortable beds, wifi and LCD screen. Breakfast was also decent: tea, coffee, juice,cereal, jam, cheese, bread, joghurt, cakes.
However, after trying to contact the hotel via the reservation form on their website two days before our arrival, I never received any reply. Not very professional for US$120, I thought!
But due to favourable reviews on tripadvisor, we decided to try them anyway. No-one spoke English but the staff were friendly. When we got our room, the central heating was switched on by a member of staff but it took an absolute age to warm up. We mentioned this and were told to wait, the heating would come through in the end. We left the hotel for the evening pretty soon - around 7pm - as it was too cold to hang around inside (17°C/63°F). By around 10pm, the room had warmed up to 18°/64° (yes, we had a thermometer with us) but that was bearable as we just hopped into bed right away. No lounging about in this room. During the night, though, the bed covers barely sufficed.
The next morning, the two radiators were still stone cold at 9am and water was leaking from one of them. Back to 17°C/63°F in the room!
Things like this, of course, can always happen and it's not something that upset us. The problem was that I was presented with a bill for US$120 for the night for a room, basically without heating. This was not OK and as the owner wasn't around, I asked a member of staff to speak to him/her about a reduction. We vacated our room, left our luggage in storage to return later - to the same bill, this time handed to me by a different member of staff. So I had to ask yet again for the owner/boss to be consulted about the final cost. The end of the story was that we got a reduction of US$10.
We never met the owner/boss.
This is a poor performance compared to so many great little boutique hotels who offer much, much better value for money. The owners of this place have a lot to learn about service, customer satisfaction and professionalism.
I would not recommend El Reloj to anyone because, even without the heating debacle, the accommodation is not worth that much money.

PS I heard from a workman who had been doing renovations in other rooms in the hotel (I didn't mention the hammering and banging in the hotel in the morning) that the thermostat and radiator in our room had been repaired in the meantime.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2010

The rooms are small but cozy, some with good views of the surrounding hills.
Dinner is outstanding. The vicuna tenderloin and marengue desert were worth the stay alone, although the wine selection is pretty limited. Surprisingly, almost no one speaks any English.
The town is not very remarkable except for the fact that they have free Wi Fi in the town square. The library also had some interesting exhibits.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple