“Truly stunning in all respects!”
Review of The Oberoi, Lombok

The Oberoi, Lombok
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tanjung
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Over the years, my husband and I have been lucky enough to have stayed in some truly wonderful hotels; this place was however breathtaking.

We’d had a pretty bumpy ferry ride from Bali to Lombok (my advice is fly if you can!) so we didn’t arrive in the best of moods. That changed the minute we arrived in the hotel. This place is beautiful; the grounds, the room, the setting – everything. This, coupled with such fabulous service delivered an amazing experience.

Every member of staff that we encountered could not do enough for us. There were so many stand out members of staff. When my husband wasn’t very well one day, not only did the staff arrange a car for me to go to the chemist, they also came with me. The chef came out every evening to chat to the guests. This wasn’t just a cursory – I hope your meal was ok - she genuinely wanted to know whether or not you’d enjoyed the whole experience. On occasions it felt as though the staff were able to read your mind, as they seemed to know exactly what you wanted before you'd even asked.

Our stay in Lombok was part of a much bigger trip for my 50th birthday and even though that day had passed, our room was decorated to celebrate the event.

We’d also massively recommend getting the hotel boat over to the Gili islands to do some snorkelling. We had such a wonderful morning. The sea is crystal clear and the fish the most exquisite colours – we saw such a diverse range of life, from bright blue starfish to giant sea turtles. Wayan looked after us so well – thank you.

Other notable staff we’d like to say thank you to are Tesar in the bar, Wayan (the turtle man and gardener) and Nyoman at breakfast. That said, it doesn’t feel right not to say thank you to every member of staff at the resort. They were all wonderful.

This is the first Oberoi resort that my husband and I have stayed at; we so very much hope we get the opportunity again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your holiday with us and that my team looked after you well.

We deeply value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to Oberoi Hotels and Resorts in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is absolutely top quality. From room details to service attention to detail is amazing and you will see Imran Sultan ( general manager of hotel) running around all the time to make sure everything is perfect. Rooms are spacious, very comfortable, great big bathroom with a lot of space.

I tried each restaurant and they are very good top quality food from fresh ingredients. Alcoholic beverages and food are a bit expensive tough.

Their Spa is okay, not that great experience but still meet expectations. Beach is amazing and all extra tours like Gili islands etc worths your money.

I strongly recommend this hotel. It is expensive but you get value for your money....

Stayed: August 2014
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and for your kind comments.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with as and that my team looked after you well.

I have also noted your comments about the food and beverage prices and the SPA.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Oberoi Hotels and Resorts in the not too distant future.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

My family and I (2 young kids) just came back from a dream vacation at the Oberoi Lombok. The hotel and its staffs simply delivered the best service that any holiday resorts can only promise.

We chose the Oberoi because of its brand name, and it surely did not disappoint on the quality and upkeep of the resort. But it is the staffs utmost attention to our comfort that made the hotel really stands out above the crowd.

1) Check in
We arrived in Lombok late in the evening and only reached the hotel close to midnight. Our children were already asleep during the long travel from the airport (1 hour + 40 mins travel from the airport). Upon arrival at the reception, I was prepared to do the regular check-in routines, but the reception staffs insisted that we only do the registration in the morning and took us right to our room with the boogie car.

Once we settle in the room (which, by the way, was upgraded to a garden view villa with pool!), the hotel sent us a complimentary food (nice sandwiches). Surely this may not cost much, but any other resorts would likely only offer us the room service menu (well, it's not the hotel's fault that we arrive so late in the day, so why bother with a complimentary food).

2) Food
Good variety and quality of the food. The hotel doesn't do breakfast buffet, and therefore if you purchase the room with breakfast rate, they will deliver the breakfast to your room for no additional charges.

3) Beach stuffs
The Oberoi Lombok is a beachfront hotel. Although it has a beautiful beach line, but it is one of those with lots of corrals and rocks and therefore not ideal (especially for kids) to swim in. But then the hotel's beach activities center, located at the eastern part of the resort, has plenty to offer! Most importantly, the hotel has its own jetty with boats that takes guests directly to the Gili islands (alternatively, one will need to go to the public ports, some 20 minutes away and deal with the locals). We were debating whether we should go to the Gili for a half-day trip that cost a seemingly expensive $35/ person (adult only), and we didn't regret that we decided to go. It was a hassle-free and fun trip to Gili Air for only 20 minutes. But should you not want to spend extra money and time for the trip, then you can still do the snorkeling, kayaking, etc at the beach center for free! (other resort would surely charge for a rental of equipment, etc).

4) Housekeeping
I'm always picky when it comes to a hotel's policy in providing drinking water (since Indonesia's tap water is undrinkable) - yes, you can always ask, but it's just a hassle. This hotel comes a long way to ensure that we are not short of drinking water.

5) Check out
It was an efficient and friendly check out (as opposed to one of those hotels that would rush you out when check out time is approaching). The hotel also has its staffs ready at the airport to even assist us with our flight check in!

In overall, we think the Oberoi Lombok has exceeded our expectation and well worth the money. We feel very well taken care of by the staffs from the time we arrived in Lombok airport until we are checking in to our return flight. Surely a class of its own.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and for your kind words.

It was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us and I am happy to know that you enjoyed your holiday here and that my team looked after you well.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Lombok and The Oberoi in the not too distant future.

Hotetl Manager

Reviewed August 2, 2014

This seems to be a sister property to the Oberoi on Bali, with the only exception that while on Bali travelers have multiple options for luxury properties, on Lombok this is the only one. This Oberoi is 50 rooms and has an elegant family feel. Despite a few initial hiccups, the experience was excellent. The service was very good, and every reasonable effort was made to make us feel comfortable. We did not think that the Gili islands experience was that overwhelming, but would recommend fishing or taking the boat out just to cruise around Lombok and Gili (without getting off). The restaurant at the hotel was very good, particularly the soups and local dishes. There is often a show or some other event during dinner. It is ideal for a stay focusing on peaceful relaxation or discreet business meetings.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank YuriVanetik
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

It was a pleasure meeting you on your recent visit to The Oberoi Lombok. Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

I once again do apologize for the inconvienience caused to you during your arrival. I am happy to note that it was well handled by my team and that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look foorward to welcoming you back to Oberoi Hotels and Resorts in the not too distant future.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

There is no question that this is a special place that's made even better by having fabulous staff. all you need to know about the Oberoi has been said already.

The breakfast is lovely, all freshly cooked and served with friendly cheer. Lunch can be tapas, something from the bar or sit at a table at the cafe and have something more substantial. The Carbonara Pizza is one of the best pizzas I have had anywhere. Bintang, cocktaails, soft drinks or coffee all served with by one of the great staff. Look out for Nelly and his Yorkshire accent...Dinner is international fine dining at a good standard.

Whether you get a cabana, a bed by the pool or a lounger overlooking the ocean you can just chill and unwind. Just lift your flag and someone will be by your side with a cool towel, chilled drink or sun cream.

You can swim in the sea (borrow a pair of wet shoes from the bar as there's coral and fish in the sand). If you're PADI qualified then the scuba diving around here is amazing. Crystal waters and more fish than Nemo knows. If not then snorkelling still give you a chance to see and swim with the turtles. Tres cool!

Watch the sun go down from the pool or the bar or just sit on your balcony. It slips down into the sea in a blaze of light and colour. Someone on here commented they were disturbed by the sun shinning off the sea into their room at sunset. If you don't want this spectacle then go somewhere else, this is paradise.

We settled for an Ocean View Pavilion and were most satisfied. With such a good main pool and the ocean at the edge of the grass a private pool villa here seems overkill but each to their own. The Pavilions are actually nicely appointed junior suites with French doors onto your covered terrace/balcony. The huge beds are nice and firm and even I need to use the step to climb onto it. Watch these steps though they do slip.

Don't expect to be going out in the evening as there's nothing local but if you get the chance stay at the Oberoi Lombok, oh and go see John Turtle.

Room Tip: Go for an Ocean View Pavilion as you don't need a private pool here. Apparently the private pool...
1  Thank SuggyD

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

It was a pleaseure to have you stay with us and thank you for reviewing our resort.

I have shared your kind words with my team and they are much appreciated.

I have alsoo noted your feedback about the bed step being slippery and will certainly have it rectified.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Oberoi Hotels and Resorts soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

After much research on Trip Advisor and much deliberation about which resort to choose for our family's 6 day stay in Lombok, we chose The Oberoi and then decided to combine it with a 3 night stay in The Oberoi in Bali. We definitely chose the right resort, and we were pleased that we had the peaceful oasis of The Oberoi Lombok after Bali.

We stayed in an Ocean View Luxury Pool Villa which was vey well appointed, and the housekeeping staff were very quick to add 2 rollaway beds for our 6 and 8 year old daughters. The kids loved the pool and the private outdoor dining area was well utilized. We did a lot of dinners in the villa as the girls were starving by 7 pm, and the In Room Dining staff would set up the dining area to perfection including white tablecloth and candle so we didn't feel that we were missing out on too much.

Harry at the Tekok Bar was so warm and welcoming on our first day sharing much information about the resort. For the next 5 days, he always stopped by to have a chat with us and make sure we had everything we needed. He is a true gem. The variety of games at the bar was well utilized by our children, and we had many family games of Monopoly while enjoying a light lunch at the Bar.

Nelly and his staff at the Sunbird Cafe ensured that breakfast indeed was the most important meal of the day! Likewise, the staff at The Beach Club were fantastic. We did a few snorkeling trips and they did their utmost to encourage our youngest daughter to join in the fun. Despite being too afraid of the fish, she thoroughly enjoyed going out on the boat with us, releasing turtles on Gili Meno, and being entertained by the boat driver doing sketches of the islands in the distance.

We were very appreciative of the the quality of the staff at The Beach Club and how they went out of their way to ensure that we had a memorable experience each time we went out.

The resort grounds, the food, the quality of the staff, and the level of service is simply outstanding. We have travelled far and wide in Southeast Asia, and now that we have been to The Oberoi Lombok, I know it will become a repeat family destination over the next few years.

Room Tip: Ocean View Pool Villas have wonderful sunset views right over to the volcano in Bali. Great option f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

I am happy to note that you and your family had an enjoyable holiday with us and that my team looked after you well. I have shared your kind words with my colleagues and it is much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Lombok and The Oberoi soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

There is nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. From the first step out of the airport right through to checking back in for the flight home, the Oberoi Lombok is absolute perfection. Not only are the facilities world class, but the exceptional nature of its service is unmatched. Never before have I felt so at home and care free as with the staff of the Oberoi. Their local knowledge and genuine desire to make the trip a memorable one will always remain with me.

The hotel's F&B manager (her name escapes me), Nelly, Harry, Epril and her executive chef colleague all deserve an extra round of applause.

If there is any bit of constructive criticism it would fall on the spa. While still great, there is certainly room for improvement here.

Thank you Oberoi and I can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but some have less privacy than others. Ask when checking in if you're...
2  Thank John P
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Your kind comments are words of encouragement to my team and I and we will continue to strive to excel in what we do.

I have also noted your feedback about the SPA and will endevour to improve it further.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Oberoi Lombok soon.

imran.sultan@oberoihotels.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung
The Lombok Lodge
Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi
Novotel Lombok
Novotel Lombok
#1 of 12 in Kuta

Been to The Oberoi, Lombok? Share your experiences!