“The Very Best”
Review of The Oberoi, Lombok

The Oberoi, Lombok
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tanjung
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Staff very friendly and helpful. Beautiful place. the food is awesome but a little expensive. Everything is charged to your room and you pay at end of your stay. Nice and quiet place to relax. The rooms are great very clean and beach view is the best. The pool water and the ocean water are about the same temperature.
Want to go back soon

Room Tip: Get an ocean view
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank ddkonrade
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2011

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Lombok.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and we are pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comments motivates us to continue to deliver a high level of service and encouraging for my team members to keep working hard to continue to exceed our guest’s expectations with genuinely hospitality.

With Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 11, 2011

Romantic, serene, photogenic, beach-front view, exquisite food, excellent service.. Not cheap, but still great value for what you get. Good spot for honeymooners and people who want to kick back and enjoy the scenery or each-other's company. The Hotel has the best restaurant in town so we didn't bother eating elsewhere. Many delicacies to choose from and a different menu for lunch and dinner. It's only the second Oberoi we ever stayed at (the one in Bali is nice, but this one is even nicer), and I'm totally hooked. Now I'd always choose Oberoi if it's available, whatever the destination.

1  Thank SuzerSchmoozer

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Lombok.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and for your constructive comments.

With kind regards,

Reviewed October 4, 2011

We went to The Oberoi, Lombok on our honeymoon, we stayed for 8 nights and although there is little to do around the hotel we could have stayed for another week. The staff were incredibly friendly and polite, the rooms were amazing - we were lucky enough to be upgraded to an ocean view room. The infinity pool is wonderful with stunning views overlooking the Gili Islands. The food is delicious although fairly expensive and very rich. It was a wonderful experience to stay here and we would definitely going back.

3  Thank Lizzie B
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Lombok.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and for your gracious comments.

We are also grateful for your appreciation of our facilities and services provided by the team. Your words of appreciation shall go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of service to our guests.

Your detailed feed back is extremely useful and indeed very encouraging for my team members to keep working hard to continue to exceed our guest’s expectations with genuinely hospitality.

With kind regards,

Reviewed October 3, 2011

A very beautiful and relaxing hotel. I stayed for a week and wish it had been for longer. If you can afford it get a villa (amazing) - if that is too expensive just get a normal room as also amazing. You can do day trips to the Gillies for great snorkelling or a day out. Food is also great. Every staff member is very polite and there is no-one to hassle you if you want privacy. Thankfully you wont know me so i can say this....I have stayed in a lot of top of the range hotels and i promise you will love this one...it is great

Room Tip: If you can afford it the pool villas are amazing but a lot more. If too expensive just get a normal...
2  Thank Nick A

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent honeymoon visit to The Oberoi, Lombok.

We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay and that all services and facilities offered by the hotel were to your entire satisfaction.
We are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests. The appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.
The team joins me in thanking you for your patronage and support and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lombok and to The Oberoi.

Reviewed October 2, 2011

We spent one week in Oberoi Lombok in September and sincerely, we were stunned. The hotel is located in the peaceful bay with white sand and without any other hotels disturbing the view (Tugu hotel you see in the distance). Hotel complex encompasses villas and pavilions, each of which is on the ground level. The gardens, hotel’s facilities and rooms are impeccably kept – from the first moment on you start to be filled with this serenity that never seems to go away. Whichever problem you have, there is somebody to assist you immediately.
We were in a garden pavilion set in the second row of houses. In front of us were the sea front villas / pavilions. All in all it was very peaceful all the time. Perfect sleeping conditions. Even if you are severely jet lagged, you immediately start to relax. The beach area is settled on a beautiful lawn, just behind the narrow sand beach (which is something to get used to). Swimming is better done from the beach club jetty, because the coral reef begins at the beach, the water is shallow and you can injure yourself. The pool is beautiful. On the left side of the hotel complex is the (small) beach club and the jetty. Here you can organize your snorkeling / diving trips or boat taxi rides to Gili islands. It’s a pity that the wind surfing gear was so old and unusable, because the hotel location would be perfect for windsurfing activities given that there is always some wind. The hotel should work on expanding their leisure time activities.
We did quite a lot of diving and we can say – the beach club team and their leader Stephan were just great! They did their best to always show you something new, to adapt their plans to the divers, to entertain you, to make everything perfect. After first dive you would always make a stop on Gili Air or Meno to enjoy almost paradisiacal atmosphere there (white beaches, emerald blue water, insignificant tourist masses). Diving was great, every single time.
We did a Lombok discovery sightseeing tour, stopping at the most interesting spots during our 6 hour private car trip. The tour was perfectly organized by the hotel. It is amazing how beautiful this island is. A nice change is that the chords of tourists, which you normally see in South Bali, are missing here (or are considerably smaller). I found the funky pony horses, seen everywhere on Lombok and Gilis, absolutely adoring. The hotel offers a non-stop pony rickshaw ride to the nearby markets as a complementary service.
And lastly about the food. It is a revelation to find such a well run and kept hotel that is five star (and also Tripadvisor five star) worthy. However, one star has to be deducted because of the food. It all started with the complementary American breakfast – you get giant omelet / eggs of your choice, fruit plate, Danish, coffee and juice. The size of it is huge for a normally eating person. A la carte orders are additionally charged, even if you get the same things from the complementary breakfast. Our suggestion to the hotel – please offer a complimentary breakfast and a guests will decide what they will eat (since most of them are not accustomed to American quantities). The food is, as many reviews have criticized before, pricy and the choice very limited (15-30 Euro/dish). The quality of the food is though excellent. The dinner menu consisted of 8 eastern and 8 western starter / main dish creations, so if you’re there for a week or longer you’re stuck with the same food. It’s a pity not to offer more Asian / Indonesian / Indian food, given the origin of the hotel and the cooking proficiency of the chef. While in Asia, we like to eat local food – pasta is no choice for us. The staff was great helping us to get other dishes, which were not on the menu. Still, the hotel should show more flexibility and versatility with the food.

Altogether this is a fantastic hotel on a fantastic location. Improvement is necessary for leisure activities and food.

2  Thank Stilleto

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable times to write about your recent visit at The Oberoi, Lombok in Trip Advisor.

We are really appreciate your detailed and valuable comments. It is very important for us to understand guest’s need to enable us to deliver high and quality service constantly.

It is very nice to know that you were enjoying your trip and togetherness with our Beach Club team.

We are pleased to note your comments in regards food and leisure activities.

Thank you for staying with us. We are looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Lombok and to The Oberoi.

Reviewed October 1, 2011

I stayed in the Oberoi Lombok twice in one week - for 2 nights before my hike (--> see my review of climbing Mount Rinjani) and for one night after the hike.

Upon arrival the first time, I was told that I had been upgraded from my sea view room to a villa. Great news and I must say, staying in the villa was very nice. The second time around I stayed in the sea view room. Differences:

- Size: obviously, the villa is bigger. Mine had a private courtyard and a little open hut with a table on which one could have meals. The main room is larger but not by a lot. The bathroom is a little bigger. Apparently, there are villas with a private pool but mine was not one.

- Bathrooms: bathrooms are pretty much the same in terms of features. Separate shower, sunken bathtub, private garden adjacent to the bathroom. Ah, and something that is not always present in SE Asia: the water pressure is great!!

- Privacy: both rooms were lacking privacy. The ocean view room was directly in front of the day-restaurant, meaning that especially during breakfast I felt like I was in plain sight of all the other hotel guest. The villa felt very private but since there were garden workers performing tasks around the villa at all odd hours, I felt strangely exposed. Particularly because the villa has one entire glass wall looking out across the garden to the ocean...

- Light: huge difference here. The villa was very bright. Lots of natural light. The ocean view room is super dark. I heard park view is even worse. Basically, you need electric light at all hours during the day - which is a shame on such a sunny island. They could have done a better job with the light.

- TV: I was shocked by how small the TVs were for such an expensive resort.  Both rooms had the same size TV. However, one huge difference is that in the ocean view room you could not see the TV from the bed (or only partially)!!

Overall, on the positive side, I would say the hotel has a nice set up and the rooms were beautiful. The pool area is magnificent with several layers of endless pools cascading down. The staff is exceedingly friendly. In fact, at least 10 different members of the staff asked me how my hike up Mount Rinjani was (!). They were trying to bend over backwards to give a good service. For example, when they realized I was eating by myself, they brought over magazines and newspapers and even a stationary for me to write on.
Also, I had two massages and I highly recommend the spa. It is very peaceful and well done and the massages were quite good.

Here come the negative aspects, however:

-- Service. The service is super friendly but extremely inefficient. The majority of the staff does not speak or understand more than very rudimentary English. This is quite annoying as they often fill orders wrong. When this happens, the staff does not give you the order for free (as should be the case). They simply apologize multiple times. For example, at night in the restaurant,  friends ordered one set menu and one main course. They asked for the main course to arrive together with the main course of the set menu. Instead, they only got the one main course. When they asked for the set menu to be served they were told the kitchen had already closed and there was nothing that could Be done. The least the staff could have done is to give them that main course for free!
In addition, the (lunchtime) staff was just very slow. When I got up and tried to order - after 25 minutes, not wanting to wait any longer for them to come over to the poolside where I was sitting - I was told to wait and that they would come over 'soon'. That then took at least another 15 minutes. When I then realized they had not brought enough ketchup, I walked over and asked for more. I was told again to go back to my chair. However, since I was not too keen on having my ketchup with a cold burger, I told them I would wait there. That caused quite some commotion. The cook was very confused but it DID prompt him to give me my ketchup relatively speedy.

-- Water. The water in the hotel is lukewarm at best. Granted it is warm in Lombok and most people probably prefer cold or at least cool showers, the hotel should still provide warm water! This was especially annoying when I came back from my trek and wanted to soak in a hot bathtub. It was a very cold bathtub experience that left me freezing.

-- Prices. Prices are completely over the top. Everything is outrageously expensive and, unfortunately, due to the location of the place there are no real alternatives. Since the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, there is no place to grab a quick lunch or a shop to stock up on snacks. Everything has to be bought at the hotel. And the food is very expensive. It is at par, if not more expensive than what you would pay in London at a decent restaurant. And by the way, it is 20-40% more expensive than in the Oberoi in Bali! Also, not having free wifi in the rooms is unacceptable. And charging USD 9 for one hour or USD 22 for 24 hours is outrageous! Furthermore, they left the impression with me that they are charging for everything all the time, almost like a constant reminder that things are grossly overpriced.

-- Location. As mentioned, in the middle of nowhere. While seclusion might be nice at times, no infrastructure at all around can be quite annoying. And if I go for complete seclusion, then I would like to have a super-fancy experience, which the Oberoi simply is not providing.

-- Food. Lunch was actually pretty decent. I had the Mahi Mahi one day for lunch and that was surprisingly tasty. The burger I had was nothing to write home about it was not bad. What was bad, however, was the dinner. The food was tasteless and overcooked. Quite an unpleasant experience. Breakfast was also a disappointment. My poached egg had such a strong vinegar taste that I did not end up eating it. There is, however, one alternative for dinner at the Lombok Lodge. I would urge you to eat there every night, as the Oberoi food is nothing you want to experience.

--Smoking room. When I arrived I was asked if I wanted a smoking or non smoking room. I said non-smoking. I was subsequently put into a smoking room. This was OK though, as the smoking room was my upgrade into a villa. However, why would you ask first and then put me into a smoking room?? The second time I checked in, I was not even given the choice and put back into a smoking room...

It is a shame that a hotel with so much potential just does not create the experience that they should...

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank AE-traveling

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to The Oberoi, Lombok.

We are committed to consistently providing warm, efficient and discrete service to our guests and their appreciation and acknowledgement is always our greatest reward.

Reviewed September 29, 2011

We don't normally post hotel reviews until our return home, but it's day two of our honeymoon stay at the Oberoi and we're decidedly underwhelmed. Having had a wonderful week split two superb hotels in Bali - the Legian and The Chedi Club - where we were made to feel so welcome and were so well looked after, the Oberoi feels far less personal and more 4 star than 5 by comparison.
On checking in at the hotel on Wednesday evening we were asked if we wanted a smoking or a non smoking room. Although we requested a non smoking room, the room we were given smelt of stale cigarette smoke and had clearly been used by smokers - hence the four ash trays in the room - even one in the bathroom. After dinner (we'd been travelling all day) we complained to the lady at the reception desk who said she'd speak to her colleagues. The next morning the cleaners removed the ash trays from the room and sprayed the room with air freshener.... Still not convinced our room was now 'non smoking' and the bad smell wouldn't return once the air freshener had disappeared we spoke to someone else on reception. He first tried to claim that the smokey smell had come from a neighbouring room or smokers walking past the room (!) before accepting that the previous guests had been heavy smokers. We have now moved to a different room - clearly there is no such thing as a nonsmoking room here - but the smell of smoke is less evident.
While the setting is lovely, so far this isn't the special experience we thought we would be getting at the Oberoi (we get the impression we are just another couple of honeymooners at the hotel). It's day 3 of 6 so we'll wait to see how the rest of our stay fares and write a full review at the end.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Mrandmrspage
TheOberoi_Lombok, General Manager at The Oberoi, Lombok, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi, Lombok.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel and for your constructive comments while you are in-house.

Our team had met you and do the best to exceed your expectation, I hope you have a great stay for the rest of your stay with us.

Your Sincerely,
Rudy Baihaqi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung
The Lombok Lodge
Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi
Novotel Lombok
Novotel Lombok
#1 of 12 in Kuta

Been to The Oberoi, Lombok? Share your experiences!