Ocean Blue & Sand
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
13,798 results
All reviewsmike's coffeesuper juanjuan ramonbowling alleyprivilege sectionblack coffeewilly wonkalobby barpunta canaentertainment staffhoneymoon suitetime sharemain buffetother resortsdominican republicdominican restaurantbuffet restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We got back yesterday after a week stay with a 7 year old and an 18 month old. It was very family friendly and the service was excellent. They made my children feel at home and were there to help us with anything we needed. The hotel itself is beautiful and the rooms were very comfortable for a family of four. We spent most of our time at the pool which was very clean and was always busy with activities. My girls fell in love with one of the waitresses there(Yessica) who made every meal special for them and us. Thank you for the excellent service and vacation, especially Yessica.:)

1  Thank julygal81
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We stayed 22-29 March and found the hotel and grounds well kept. The beach was great, but sometimes hard to find shade if you didn't go out and leave towels on the chairs by 7.30 Am. We found that the following four staff members ,Rosa,Raul,Wilfredo and Anito Graciano all provided excellent service in the La Tortuga Buffet and bar. Well Done, we would return again to Ocean Blue.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 32CER
Reviewed April 15, 2011

We went on a family vacation to Ocean Blue for one week. Overall, the resort didn't WOW us, but we enjoyed our stay, despite a number of problems. The package price to stay at the OB was substantially less expensive than the all-inclusive resorts we typically stay at, but given the 4 star rating, we decided to give it a try.

The problems began at check-in. A member of the staff took our luggage but then left us to find our way to check-in. We had upgraded to Privilege so we found our way to the Privilege lounge after waiting in line in the main reception area for 30 minutes. The Privilege lounge was understaffed for the number of people checking in. After waiting another 30 minutes we were finally able to talk to a staff member. Although we arrived after 3 pm, our room was not ready. It took another hour for our room to be ready.

Our room was very outdated and very worn. There was no water pressure in the shower. When the repairman came, he took the shower head off the water pipe and banged it on the floor of the shower, releasing a dark discharge from the showerhead. That cleared up the shower head so there was normal pressure, but I had to repeat the procedure everyday to clear the shower head.

The room had a TV from what appeared to be the 1980's. It had no remote control. Paint was chipping from the ceiling and the railing on the deck. The screw holding one side of the railing in place was missing, which permitted the railing to swing back several inches. We were on the second floor, so it didn't seem to be the safest situation.

Service was spotty. There were times when the staff was very prompt, helpful, and considerate. Other times, the staffs' attitude and service were downright frustrating. The service at the breakfast buffet was generally good. The wait staff was typically attentive and prompt, although there were morning where we had to wait forever to get coffee and water (and asked several times).

Service in the Privilege beach area was also hit or miss. Some days there were plenty of towels. Other days, there were no towels to be found and no one around to ask for towels. One particular morning, I asked a staff person for some towels for my family when there were no towels at the entrance of the Privilege area. He held up a finger to tell me it would be "one minute." He came back about 10 minutes later with one towel. I told him that I needed four towels. He said it would take "10 minutes." The other two people who were waiting for towels and I agreed that 10 minutes was probably an overly optimistic estimate, so we made the trek to the regular towel shack. There I was told that I could not get towels because I didn't have cards for towels. I told him that the Privilege guests did not get "towel cards." He had to call over his supervisor to let me have towels.. When I asked him to contact someone at the Privilege area to see if additional towels could be broght to that area, I was told, "that's not my problem, man."

Service at the ala carte restaurants was generally unbearable. It took one and one-half hours to get our meal at the seafood restaurant, although there were only two other tables that were occupied. The other restaurants were not much better, except the Italian restaurant, where we were served promptly and courteously (we left a very good tip).

The OB should make a concerted effort to deliever a consistent product. There is such disparity in the reviews for the OB. I suspect that the disparty stems from good and bad interactions guests have had with the staff. A resort will seem great to a guest if every interaction the guest has with the staff is positive. The same resort will get negative reviews about the food, pool, and rooms if the interactions with the staff is negative. I suspect the issue lies with the management and its training and supervision of the staff.

There were many positives. The pool and the grounds are well-maintained. The service was great at the swin up bars. The beach is beautiful. The food, although not gourmet, was pretty good for an all-inclusive resort There is also a very helpful shuttle if you don't want to walk from the main reception/restaurant area to your room. The Privilege lounge near the beach is very nice. It has free internet access, clean bathrooms, self-service bar, and daily newspapers.

Also, I read many complaints on Trip Advisor about people reserving chairs by the pool and beach. This is no different from any other resort we have been to, both in the US and overseas. In fact, the situation at OB seemed better because there were so many chairs at the beach and pool.

Overall, OB is a decent value for the price. If you are looking for a luxury vacation with an attentive and pampering staff, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a resonably priced vacation that offers a good return for your money, the Ocean Blue is the right place for your next vacation

Room Tip: Building 6 and 10 are cloest to the beach.
2  Thank TravelingPilky
Reviewed April 14, 2011

The ocean blue resort is the best place I have ever stayed. It is filled with fun things to do such as clubs restaurants bars pools and a beautiful ocean. The workers are very welcoming and do an amazing job. I recommend this resort to everyone you will love it and have a lot of fun !

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I recently took my daughter for her senior spring break with some other families. Admittedly there were times that the teens took the place over, but that is not the fault of the resort. I was pleased that the staff allowed the kids to have fun.

The resort is absolutely beautiful and after walking up and down the beach this resort has the best beach area by far! The staff is great and many of them become good friends over the week. Thanks Reynoldo for "double checking my dinner reservations on the beach and giving us such a nice send off... and to Alexander (aka Big Money), Jesus, Octavio and all the other bartenders for the awesome drinks and smiling faces everyday.... and Victor for the great music all week!

The food was good, not great, but good. The buffet was good and had a lot to choose from but it was a lot of the same thing everyday. The restaurants were very nice but the food was just ok. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. It was fine for us.

The room was clean and spacious and the room service was great.

The shows were good...although there should have been a warning for the Vegas show. Some parts were not appropriate for small children in my opinion. It was a GREAT show though.

Checking in and out went very smoothly as well.
We did get a call a few days before our trip saying that we were going to be moved to another hotel because the Ocean Blue was overbooked. We worked with our Apple Vacations rep and got it resolved before we left, thankfully!

I would definitely visit this resort again!!!

1  Thank wildromj