“Fun laid back and very informative”
Review of Happy Dive Center

Happy Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Diving is fun and safe! More over, it is easily included in the vacation planning.You do not have any experience, would like to try diving? Then, you are in the right place!!! We are located in the Dominican Republic. We have a 100% safety record.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We booked an hour and a half snorkeling adventure and we got more than our moneys worth. We've been snorkeling many times before and its always been the same. Loud music, guys trying to get you drunk or sell you pictures. But this time was such a pleasure, first of all a taxi comes to pick you up at the hotel and dropped us by this little town with a small alley filled with vendors. At first we were a little nervous but all the people were very friendly and it had a little Anthony Bourdain mystery about it. What made this trip special was not only did we snorkle way past the amount of time we were supposed to be there but the captain was informing us about the local culture. I've never known that there is a big creole influence in Dominican cooking. I've eaten Dominican food before which I love but I never known the French side of it. Always assumed it stayed on the other side of the island (Haiti). The captain and crew proceeded to educate us about various things. And I liked this a lot better than the typical party boat scene after snorkeling. We liked the experience so much I booked a boat to go fishing with them the next day. Again I had a blast except my wife and kids were chumming the water lol... Next time we go we're going to try the scuba diving. See you guys next year!!

2  Thank 0v3rkill
"dominican republic"
in 19 reviews
"nice car"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend their services"
"caribbean side"
"great outfit"
"great hands"
"an excellent instructor"

Reviewed June 20, 2014

I'd contacted this company prior to leaving the states and Debbie, from the dive center ALWAYS for back to be very quickly. In fact, even though I didn't contact them until Thursday, requesting a Saturday dive they were able to accommodate me. My son had never scuba'd before so he was a little apprehensive but Harry made him feel comfortable with his gear and what to expect. We first went to a shallow area where my son could just try out breathing under water for the first time and from there we went to a slightly deeper area. Unfortunately, my son was not able to equalize his ears at a depth lower than about 12 feet. Harry spent about 25 minutes with him just swimming around at a shallow depth so he could at least enjoy the underwater view, fishes, etc. Because I'd booked a 2-tank dive we then went to another area where I was able to dive with Harry (my first ocean dive after open-water certification) and he was very careful and attentive to the fact that I had not dived in the ocean before. I was able to see a lot of coral, fish and even held a sea spider- something I wouldn't have even gotten close to on land! I was a little freaked out about coming up too fast but Harry stayed right next to me the whole time and made sure that my experience was enjoyable. I did get a little seasick on the ride out to the dive spot but that went away as soon as we dove. The feeling came back upon surfacing just because the seas were a bit choppy where we were. If you're prone to that I might suggest taking a half-dose of Dramamine an hour prior to going. I would definitely use this dive center the next time I go to Punta Cana. This is a dive center that seems to really care about the person and the experience and not "how many people can we get through in a day." Thanks guys, for an awesome experience! :-)

4  Thank whatofit
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We knew we wanted to do some snorkeling on our honeymoon, and I am so happy we found Happy Dive Center on tripadvisor. Not only were their prices better than the snorkeling excursions offered by our hotel, but Debbie was a sweetheart and quick to respond to emails. They had a new taxi driver that day, so got picked up a little bit late, but our experience more than made up for that! We were the only two people on the trip, so we ending up having our own private excursion. We started out snorkeling in a coral reef, then went to a small aquarium to swim with nurse sharks and a stingray. To cap off the day, we went to a natural pool, which was a nice break from the rougher waters near our hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to book with Happy Dive again if I make it back to the DR!

1  Thank Michele G
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My son, daughter, son-in-law, and myself went snorkeling with the dive center on 5/26/14 and had a great time with our guide Jonathon. We then went scuba diving on 5/28/14 with Harry and his staff (I sat in the boat and let the younger folks do that). Both excursions went well and the staff and owners were great! We would use Happy Dive again!!!