Barcelo Bavaro Palace(Bavaro)
$355
$220
$172
  • Breakfast included
Karibo Punta Cana(Bavaro)(Great Value!)
$50
$144
$206
$244
$177
Melia.com
$463
3,205 results
All reviewsfirst clubroyal clubbeach barla divagrand levelpunta canavacation clubmain buffetseafoodstayed in buildinga la carte restaurantsspring breakerspizza placesales peoplerecommend this resortocean frontbeautiful beach
Reviewed May 20, 2018 via mobile

The staff and overall appearance was wonderful. However, the restrooms in the lobby were a little dirty when we arrived. The resort was relaxing and tropical, the room was nice and kept up well, (you get 2 key cards, one stays on the wall by the door so everything that uses electricity remains working, if you take the key card out everything turns off.) There is no booklet telling you what restaurants are available and their location in the resort, no “things to do here” list, meaning no room service of any kind, I was bummed about this. The hairdryer in our room was permanently attached to the wall UNDER the sink leaving not much cord to bring the dryer up to my head, another bummer. If you want a ride from one of the many golf carts, call ahead because you will not be able to flag one down. We did a lot of walking, and this is a HUGE resort. And please stay out of their way, they go fast and come really close to you (this is the case anywhere you go in Punta Cana if you leave the resort, driving is nuts, we rode buses and there were many close calls.) Now onto the restaurants I’ll list them with a star rating.

The Buffet-4*’s, many many options for any time of the day and a lot of stations where they make things fresh for you.

Pizza (upstairs by the main pool)- 4*’s opens at 6pm, wood fired pizzas, thin crust and delicious ( the guy who cooks the pizza doesn’t know much English)

The oriental place- 3*’s only because the portion sizes are very small, my husband and I ended up going to the buffet after because we were still hungry, but the drinks were strong, if you like them that way.

Restaurant directly above pool-5*’s the French fries are awesome! Burgers, chicken, and nachos all day...plus an ice cream machine.

The Mexican restaurant-4*’s, pretty good food
And finally The Steakhouse- 5*’s really good food, steaks are a good sized portion, and the desserts are fantastic!

Beachtime was awesome, but I’ll warn you about the insane amount of seaweed on the shore, I don’t know if it’s like that all year, but in May it was pretty crazy.
One thing that could’ve been better was the nightlife, there really isn’t a lot to do aside from the “shows” that don’t start until way late.
Overall a good stay!

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kswett
gpcsm, Public Relations Manager at Occidental Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2018

Dear Kswett,

Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your recent stay at the Occidental Punta Cana. Although we are glad that in general you were able to enjoy your stay with us, it is disappointing to know that we were unable to meet your expectations to the fullest. We regret that this may have damaged your perception of our property, but please be sure that we always strive to provide the outstanding service that we are known for.

To us, there is nothing more important than our guests' satisfaction, which is why I forwarded your comments to the management for review. We truly hope you reconsider staying with us in the future. We guarantee to, not only meet, but surpass your expectations.

Reviewed May 20, 2018 via mobile

Overall, it was a clean environment. The rooms were clean and had a decent view. The one thing that annoyed me the most was housekeeping. For some reason we never got towels and for the duration of our stay had to keep asking for towels.they were always acting annoyed when we asked for them. Food was decent, just tasted the same everywhere. I’ve been to all inclusive resorts where champagne was included but not this one for some reason.

People in the front desk were pretty nice and friendly towards us. And even got us a treat excursion deal!

Overall a decent resort, but I won’t be back to this resort.If you’ve stayed at Iberostars (which I really like) or other resorts similar just stick to those!

Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
gpcsm, Public Relations Manager at Occidental Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2018

Dear Brittany,

Reviewed May 19, 2018

You get what you pay for. This hotel is excellent if you're looking for a weeks getaway in the Caribbean to sit on the beach and read a good book. The a la carte restaurants offer just enough to avoid repetition, however, the food is definitely not a draw with this hotel.

What holds back this hotel is the terrible staff - rude, unhelpful and looking to try and make money out of you. I have never been to a hotel where staff do not respond to an "hola" or where groundsmen offer guests coconuts before asking for money in return. I'm not sure what the security on the beach do as local sellers walk up to guests with those with animals particularly pushy.

If you're looking for a week in the sun and are not too bothered about unrefined dining options and content to just drink beer rather than the Occidental's attempt at cocktails then this hotel is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear Tom,

Reviewed May 18, 2018

We stayed in room 25-119 which was a lovely room, large, ground floor with own patio area and sun-loungers, TV with many channels, coffee maker, iron & ironing board and safe, so technically everything was fine. Unfortunately the air conditioning didn't work when we arrived, and being such a large resort we had to hang around the HOT room after a whole day of travelling when we would much rather have gone and got a drink at the bar. The air conditioning was fixed after a fashion, but the thermostat didn't seem to work so the room was either ice cold with the air con on (fine really) or hot, so the air-con just stayed on all the time! Maybe it should go off when you take your key card out of the slot, but ours didn't - maybe the fix was to bypass all that?

The real major problem with the hotel was not the site or facilities, but the management model which seemed designed at every step to lessen your enjoyment and wind you up over many little things. On arriving I asked about the WiFi - which I had assumed was Free as it is everywhere else in the world I have been lately, but NO - WiFi cost a huge USD50 per device for the week!!! This seems to miss a trick as they miss out on all the free FB, instagram, Twitter etc free advertising of people posting photos on their phone!! Secondly - the place is heavily involved in timeshare, and you get strongly cajoled to go and listen to a presentation the first day you are there. That was a waste of time as I was so annoyed about paying for WiFi that I wasn't the slightest bit interested in going there again! Wasted an hour of our time though, and it turns out that if you do buy into that particular scheme then you get "upgraded" and Wi-Fi is free, along with also having exclusive bars and lounges and restaurant areas that you can go in but the ordinary paying customers can't. This brings me onto my third and even more major gripe - for such a HUGE resort, probably with 1,000 sun loungers around the place - 3 pools and a huge lovely beach, there were just 4 bars open during the day and the only one you could sit at a bar stool and drink at was the bar in the hotel lobby! Not the best of locations or atmoshpheres, and then during the day it had just ONE bar staff, and they also had to serve all the people coming in from the pool area too to get drinks, coffees, slush puppies, bottles of water etc. The poor bar man was rushed off his feet, and just didn't have time to wipe the bar down and keep it clean so it ended up covered in sugar etc. One of the "bars" was a fast food snack bar above the pool bar, so small, stunk of burgers and frankfurters, and was really an eating place - you couldn't realistically sit and have a nice drink there. The pool bar I was really looking forward to - a swim-up bar which I had never experienced before. Turned out to be a wade-up bar as the huge pool was just waist deep at the deepest??? How weird - no good for swimming at all - but anyway - the bar had a "water feature" which was like a constant waterfall down your back, and it was also situated in the shade, so it really went all out to discourage you from sitting there as even in the hot sunshine, with a bit of a sea breeze it was not particularly pleasant and water constantly splashed all over the bar and into your beer. So - we managed about 2 hours of that, but my husband was wearing a t-shirt and was just getting cold. Also as you could only enter from the water it was a bit awkward with electronics e.g. mobile phone, fitbit etc. Finally the 4th bar, which was really the beach restaurant, just geared up for food. However, if you were lucky you could get a table overlooking the beach, and there was waitress service, so they would keep bringing you another drink, so this was pretty good really but I had expected a beach bar on the beach that you could sit at. There was one, BUT FOR TIMESHARE CLIENTS ONLY - talk about making normal paying customers feel like 2nd class citizens - we basically were! Even worse was if you wanted to spend the day on a sun-lounger on the beautiful beach with some shady palm trees - NO BEACH BAR, and no waiter service even for water or soft drinks. About 500 sun-loungers were serviced by a single slot at the bar and with a beer pump, so if you were on the beach, every time that you wanted a drink you had to get up, walk across the service road and literally queue up at the single area waiting for your single-use-plastic small tumbler of beer.

Also management were not at all interested when you went to complain about paying for Wi-Fi, coffee machine in our room didn't work so replaced, very poor service in the Steakhouse restaurant where we were left waiting for 40 minutes without a drink or starter - they sent a plate of fruit to our room!!! WOW - a bottle of wine that we could drink on our patio might have been more appreciated - just 2 apples, a pear, a mango and a banana!! All this fruit was available at the buffet eating areas so why would we want more???

Going back to food and restaurants - apart from the main buffet there were some themed restaurants - mexican, chinese, italian, steakhouse and seafood - but you had to queue for ages in the morning to book your slot, and none had much atmosphere - no candles on the tables or anything, and bright lights, and a sneaky way to make you order wine off the wine list thinking it was free, only to be charged - luckily we didn't fall for that one. Also the 2 beers in the fridge in the room were not included in the all-inclusive either!!!

Just completely spoiled any fun we might have had with their petty little ways, making it so hard to get a drink, making a 2-tier system with the timeshare, lack of staff at bars though loads sweeping the grounds etc., paying for WiFI, evening restaurants having no atmosphere. I was pretty glad to leave in the end and will NEVER EVER go to that hotel again or any others in the OCCIDENTAL group. Punta Cana is a lovely place, but for heavens sake choose a different hotel if you want to relax and enjoy yourself. I wish I had read these 1* reviews before I left, as they are all true and give a genuine opinion of the hotel - I suspect a lot of the good reviews are paid for, or written by people who don't know any different. AVOID THIS HOTEL.

Room Tip: NONE unless you are a timeshare client
  • Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NikkyGloriousSafaris
gpcsm, Public Relations Manager at Occidental Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2018

Dear Nikky,

Reviewed May 17, 2018 via mobile

I just got back from a 5 day stay (would have been 6 but that’s JetBlue’s fault) and I don’t think I would return to occidental. We were a day late because of travel issues, and instead of being greeted by warm friendly receptionist like our travel agent assured us, we were told to go wait some where for three hours while we waited for our room. This didn’t work for me as I paid for the last 24 hrs so how could I not have a room ready? When I tried to explain that the receptionist just argued back. When my boyfriend asked for a manager all he got was the receptionist saying rude things about him in Spanish (I speak Spanish but I am white so no one ever knows) and a security guard. Then they sent another staff member out to pose as the manager. So we went and spoke with guest services and demanded a refund for the previous night or a room immediately. They gave us a room with 2 full queen beds even though we paid for a king and made it seem like they were doing us a favor. The sewer smelled frequently and there were cigar leafs and old pills in the desk drawer. The food wasn’t great. The employees would creepily hit on me when ever my boyfriend was not around.
The resort is pretty and My friends wedding was gorgeous. When I return to Punta Cana it will not be to occidental

Stayed: May 2018
2  Thank Kc R

Dear Kc R,

Thank you for rating your experience with us. Needless to say, it is disappointing to know that we failed to meet your expectations. Negative comments, however, are a good way to identify the areas in which we need to improve. I have forwarded your review so our management can address these issues directly.