“Kaptivating Karibo” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Bavaro
Ontario, Canada
“Kaptivating Karibo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

We just got back from a week at Karibo and we can't wait to go back. It was definitely a home away from home experience, except we had a white sandy beach 5 min. away. I had never been to Punta Cana before so I was so happy I went this route, with an immaculate two bedroom, spacious apartment.
The grounds were well kept and the apartment was cleaned for us every day. Since I heard so many horror stories about some resorts and the problem with food, I felt more comfortable preparing my own meals. You could either rent a car or take a taxi to the nearest grocery store (taxi driver even waited for us). We bought food for the week, and by my calculations, I saved thousands of dollars by not doing the all inclusive route. We even ate at the restaurant attached to the hotel and got hooked on the delicious paella (it said for 2ppl. but it fed all of us!)
I can't speak enough good things about Juan Pablo, our concierge, who arranged everything we needed, from having someone waiting at the airport for us at arrival, to arranging a fun dune buggy adventure for the afternoon. He even got a rowdy group of partygoers to leave the pool one late evening so the rest of us could sleep. The Karibo is very lucky to have him.
With two beautifully decorated bedrooms (when travelling with kids, privacy is a luxury), two and a half bathrooms, three balconies, a Jacuzzi on the balcony, a kitchen, dining room, and washing machine, you could not compare this comfort to a small bedroom at a resort that we would have had to pay more than double the amount. The golf cart ride to the beach was fun and we just arranged a pick up time whenever we were ready to go back. As we got to Bavaro beach, lounge chairs were there, or you could just sit under one of the many coconut trees. I have travelled the Caribbean extensively, and Bavaro beach is one of the more beautiful areas, aquamarine waters, and white sand that goes on for miles. Watch for the locals, never go with the first price if they try to sell you anything.
This captivating place is definitely at the top of our best vacations. With the money we saved on this trip, a second trip would be in the near future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank CanadaTara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bern, Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

It was a really great time at Karibo. The Rooms are clean and big. The Pool area is clean and a perfect place to relax. The service is fast and we have always been treated very friendly. Juan Pablo the columbian guy at the reception can be asked about trips and everything arround punta cana. He speaks english too. If you need some help to book your trip just go to ask Juan Pablo. Best trips and prices guarantee!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Carbondale, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We needed one night in a hotel before our condo was ready, and the Karibo was wonderful. There are very few choices for anyone wanting an affordable few nights in the Punta Cana area. Most hotels are all inclusive or very expensive. The property was well maintained with a beautiful pool. The people at the hotel were friendly and helpful. The room was a two bedroom apartment with a full kitchen, huge closets, large living room, spacious baths, and balconies all around. It was very clean and all the marble glistened. The cost was a bargain. We had dinner and breakfast there, and dinner was very good with large portions. Breakfast was included in the price of the room and was standard fare.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

We stayed for only one night but wished we could have stayed longer. When you want to be away from the bustle of all-inclusive resorts, this is the place to go. The suites are spacious, modern and clean. You don't have to rise before dawn to reserve your poolside lounger. Staff members go out of their way to attend to your every need. The food is decent and the drinks are great. This is an intimate, friendly place where you really get to know the local culture at a very relaxed pace. It does not have the bells and whistles of the larger resorts, yet it is the perfect place to get away from it all. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank teragramsb123
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Extremely pleasant stays both times we visited; beautiful, spacious rooms, great location and awesome amenities. What really sets Karibo apart however is the staff; Juan Pablo went out of his way to help meet and exceed our needs. Great people and great value, I highly recommend it and we'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I own a hotel myself and I have never been someone who is easily pleased. I have been to Bavaro many times, and each time end up in a horrible all-inclusive and come home with food poisoning. So this time I thought I'd try something different and booked an apartment at Karibo for a weekend away with friends.

The service is unusually good by Dominican standards. The staff gave us a genuinely warm welcome, showed us the apartment, checked that everything was working, and constantly asked us if everything was OK.

The apartments are really nice, way nicer than the usual standard of rental apartments. Ours had two good sized bedrooms, each with a private bathroom and dressing room, a huge lounge area and two balconies. Wifi is free and worked (again unusual) and the fitted kitchen is very well stocked with cooking equipment.

I liked the fact that it was largely quiet and peaceful (even though we had a 2 year old in our party). The other guests all seem to be quite mature, it's a grown up atmosphere.

The location was good for us - we have a car, and we drove to the beach which took some time to find since other hotels in Bavaro do their very best to block all attempts to access the beach to keep locals off (shame on them). There is a free beach shuttle provided if you don't have a car. At night it's walkable to the bars in Bavaro, although a little dark on the road. If you get a taxi, be warned they charge US$10 for a 2 minute ride.

We didn't eat the food in the restaurant, but I did check the menu and I was surprised by what good value it seemed to be. Prices seemed incredibly low and the quality looked good. The restaurant seemed to be busy with non-guests, so I'm definitely going to try it on my next visit.

The only things which I could moan about were that I found the music by the pool to be a bit too loud - I did ask them to turn it down and they did. It's nice music, but you could hear it in the apartments, and as the DR is such a noisy country anyway, a bit of peace and quiet is a real treat. The other moan is that they provide dishwashers in the apartment, but no dishwasher soap (the cleaners don't even have this). I don't expect many guests bring their own, so it just seems strange for the hotel not to supply.

But these are both minor points. I will definitely be back at Karibo. They are doing an excellent job, I'm pleased they are getting so many good reviews on Tripadvisor, they definitely deserve these.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Casa_Sanchez_Manager
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I liked this place a lot. The man at the reception, Juan Pablo, was very helpful. The rooms were huge. Very spacious and clean. And for a bonus, they have very good security. For the money, I don't think you can find anything with comparable value.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bavaro
Four Points by Sheraton Puntacana Village
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only
Melia Caribe Tropical
Barcelo Bavaro Palace
Occidental Punta Cana
Occidental Punta Cana
#20 of 25 in Bavaro
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Been to Karibo Punta Cana? Share your experiences!