Barcelo Bavaro Palace
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
16,568 results
All reviewsclub premiumla fuentesanta fe steakhousecoral seafoodfamily deluxesports barspanish restaurantjacuzzi on the balconylanguage barrierbeautiful resortseafood restaurantdinner reservationsocean frontmake reservationsa la carte restaurantsfamily vacationadult pool
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Hi, I'm from Northern Ontario. I've been to the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe twice now. In March 2012 and 2013. I really can't say anything bad about this place. It's not rated a five star, and frankly I really don't know what more they could do to make it a five star. In my books it is. We liked it so much in 2012 that we went back in 2013. I'm not typically a person that wants to go to the same resort twice, but the truth is, we had such a good time in 2012, that looking for a new place in 2013 gave me some anxiety. I wanted our trip to be as good as it was at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe 2012. After looking online, spending hours on reviews, I thought heck I'm going back to the Barcelo, I know it's great. What I personally liked about this place is that its new, large and clean. In 2012 I was told it was redone. We stayed on the golf course in 2012 and the Manager told us that section was only 9 months old. It was amazing on the golf course. It had a loft that had a king size bed, bathroom, shower, closets, tv. My hubby and I had our own space up there while my teens each had their own queen size bed below. They also had a bathroom with double sinks, shower, toilet and tv. It looked out over the golf course. It felt luxurious to me. There's a coral reef a mile or 2 out, so it's like a lagoon for swimming. They had kayak and paddle boats, wind sailing (no extra charge) My daughter and I would kayak out, and the water was not deep or wavy. People would go out to the reef and dive. We didn't do that though. When you walk out to the beach from the resort, and go left down the beach, there's a market. You have to walk a good 10 minutes or more to get there but it's great to get souvenirs. Keep in mind when you go to the market, get ready to be harassed as they all want you to shop in their store. I do recommend you go though, it's a nice walk and a chance to walk by other resorts. We liked all the restaurants. The ones I liked the most was the Japanese Restaurant. Book your restaurants when you get there. It was great, the Chef put on a great show and even had my daughter come up and stir up veggies etc. It was a kodak moment you could say. I would say the one I liked the least was the Mexican. It wasn't bad though. We did the Italian in 2012, loved it too. There's a sports bar open all night, you can grab food there too. This place is huge and that's why I loved it. When we stayed there in 2012, (on the golf course) it was so quiet. Next to pro shop was some shops (expensive) and a small buffet there too. My hubby and son grabbed breakfast there in the morning. There's also an adult section. Often people from the Adult section would come over to the main section and eat. It's an option for those. IN 2013 we stayed in a regular room. It was great too. There was a hot tub on our balcony. That seems to be the norm. I believe it was just a regular room. When I looked out on our balcony, I could see the ocean. It was good. We were there for American Spring Break so yes, we heard the students at 2am heading back to their rooms. It was a busier area in that section, but it was good. Security did extra patrols due to the noise complaints. But hey, what can you expect during spring break. It was awesome all the same. Well, now I'm looking for a trip in 2014 and I suspect I will face the same concerns. Worrying I'll book a place that doesn't compare to our experience at the Barcelo. However, I want to go some place different. When I went back in 2013, because it was second time, I didn't have that same "wow factor". There's something to be said about going some place for the very first time. Visit this place. The beds are comfortable and I did not need to use my electrical adapter, but bring it just in case. I should have also mentioned, it's only a 15-20 min drive from the airport. Both times we went, we were the first to get dropped off and the last to be picked up on the way home. That was bonus too. As well, in 2012 my hubby and son golfed and did not want to bring their own clubs. They're both lefties so I emailed the golf pro. (Go to the Barcelo website to get that email info) they said they had plenty of lefty clubs, but when they got there, they did not, so the staff let my hubby and son use theirs. We were happy to pay them a fee. The staff are amazing. So friendly and kind. They love Canadians.

Room Tip: I had just asked in 2013 if we could be on a higher floor and I was accommodated. In 2012, they gave us the great upgrade to the golf course due to an error on their part. That was bonus.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Jody L
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for selecting our Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe as your holiday destination. We are so lucky to have the opportunity to welcome you for the third time in the Dominican Republic and we really appreciate your positive feedback.

Once again, we thank you for your valuable comments and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

This Barcelo is nice. The rooms are great. All the restaurants are all in one place. There were lots of chairs around the pools and the beach. The staff was great. Leave your maids a daily tip for daily mini bar refills. The lunch buffets did get old, it would be nice if they had other places to get lunch.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank ALOtraveler
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comment about our resort and for taken your valued time to write us. We are glad to know that we could fulfill all your expectations and that our restaurants, services and infrastructure were of your liking. Since opinion of our guests is very important we take note about your observations and be assured that we will take into consideration.

We are very grateful to know that your will come back and we will be pleased to welcome you again.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is our 11th return trip to the Barcelo resort in Punta Cana for our annual golf vacation. As always, the staff was extremely helpful and courteous, the rooms were outstanding, and the beach is one of the most beautiful you will find anywhere. The golf course, which was completely re-designed by P B Dye has been up and running for two yrs now and is a treasure, it is being maintained meticulously and is a challenge for every level of golfer. The upgrade to club premium is well worth difference as you will be looked after at every turn, the staff in the concierge service there will take care of your every need and request, make all of you reservations and arrangements, all you have to do is enjoy your vacation. The food in the a la carte restaurants is very good especially the French and Spanish. I recommend this resort to anyone, it caters to family, singles, couples, there is something for everyone.

Room Tip: Upgrade to club premium beachfront will give spectacular balcony and view of beach.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael B

Dear Guest,

We really appreciated your feedback which is received it with gratitude since our guests’ opinion in regards to their experience is very important and assistance to us.

Thank you so much for your kind comments about our grounds and infrastructure as well as your great impression about our golf course who daily give due care for golf fans feel comfortable. We are glad that you like and enjoyed most of our services, food and facilities; we are honored for your loyalty during these 11th visited and is gratifying to know that during this time we have been the number one in your preference as holiday destination.

Waiting again for you next visited our Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe!!!!!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We had a Family Duplex room for my husband and I and our 19-year old son. According to the description, this was two bedrooms, two baths. Well, when we walked in, there was a bath, a sleeping area with two double beds, and an open stairway leading to an open loft with a king sized bed and another bath. Sooo, not quite as private as we had planned. :-) But, we all made it work.
We were right on the golf course, so it was a bit of a hike to the beach and the restaurants, except for Hoyo 19, the golf course restaurant, which was quite nice. We had a couple dinners there and it was good. I recommend the seared tuna sandwich! And the mojitos!
The Spanish, Japanese and Mexican restaurants were also nice. Tasty food, good service. The Italian place, Dolce Vita, I don't know what happened there, but it was the worst meal we had. I actually had to leave.
Buffets were bountiful. If you could not find something to eat, it's your own fault. The last night we were there, it was everything from pizza to grilled lobster. Seriously! Breakfast was geared to the South American/Eurpean/Russian palate, but again, something for everyone. And delicious coffees.
Service, in my opinion was very good. Always met with a smile, and people went out of their way to be helpful. Now, that being said, Spanish was definitely the lingua franca here. It helped to know even a tiny bit to ask for the basics like coffee, water, and where is the bathroom. LOL. Seemed most visitors spoke Spanish, as well. Again, we went with the flow, and everything got done, we all got fed, and everyone was happy.
The nightly shows were a little hit or miss to me. Some were super cruise-y, the circus was pretty great, the Christmas show was... well, they tried hard. The pop singer show was awesome. Nightlife was a little subdued, as there were a ton of families with small kids. My son reported that the disco was kind of what you made it. It was open 11-3. Casino was small but fun. With go-go dancers! Who doesn't like go-go dancers!?
The grounds were gorgeous and well-kept, the rooms well-maintained and clean for the most part. When we checked in, the sheets looked dirty (okay, they had someone elses icky hair inside them), and they came right away and changed everything. After that it was very good.
I would go back here for the beach, the great service, the nice people and the view. The food was not award-winning, but tasty. I can live with that!

Room Tip: If you want privacy with a family, don't get the family duplex--it's an open concept room. :-) but it's go 3 beds!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank reneethewriter
Director_BBPD, General Manager at Barcelo Bavaro Palace, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

It was very pleasant to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities and that we were able to provide you a delightful stay and thank you for having chosen Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe as your holiday destination.

We regret the impression about de food in our Italian restaurant let me inform you that we will be passing your comments to our executive chef for the proper attention. Our customer’s satisfaction is our constant goal. Knowing we reached this goal in your recent stay is very rewarding for all our hard working staff members and it will reinforce their commitment to provide quality service to all of our guests.

We wish to welcome you back to our Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe Hotel.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We just got back from a week long stay over Christmas break. Let me start with the positives...the grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. The pools and beach area are well laid out, with lots of chairs, convenient bars and restrooms. We had an excellent room called a Family Deluxe-it was 2 separate bedrooms (one had 2 double beds, one had a king bed) with an entry way and bathroom in between. Both rooms had their own balconies, the bedroom with the king bed also had a hot tub on the balcony. Both rooms had tvs, dressers and phones. There was a microwave, mini fridge and safe in the entry way. It gave us all privacy and space. There are many activities at the resort but many come with an additional charge and lots of them are geared towards very young children.
We discovered while there that about 70% of the resort is populated with Europeans. Let me explain some of the issues with this:
1. My children (ages 11 and 15) had a tougher time meeting others who spoke English-not impossible, just harder.
2. There is some partial nudity on display (topless women, very skimpy bathing suits)...not a big deal..just be aware.
3. The food choices are more geared toward Europeans...some things we didn't recognize and it was harder for my younger son (a bit of a picky eater) to find much he liked.

Onto the negatives.....
the food was NOT GOOD. Breakfast and lunch were buffet only. A buffet that stayed virtually the same every day. Many items were cold or luke warm that should have been hot. We ate in 4 of the restaurants...you need reservations for all and some are hard to get into unless you want to eat at 9pm. We chose steak, seafood, Japanese and Italian. The first 2 were fair at best..our older son got sick (vomiting) from the fish at the seafood restaurant. The Japanese was ok-we had hibachi..it was good not great and because we were at a large hibachi table, dinner was rushed. The Italian was the best...the best food and service. It is the smallest and the most difficult to get a reservation. I eat fairly well most of the year and look to vacation to let go a little...most of the food here was not worth it. Even the desserts were not good. All tasted similar but were different colors. Very disappointing for what we spent.
The bars were ok but varied greatly. At some you could get a margarita but on the rocks only. The pushed their premade pina coladas and strawberry daiquiris.
Much of the staff speaks almost no English. I had read this comment before but really dismissed it. It becomes an issue when the housekeeping staff cannot understand a word you say. It would also take several attempts in the dining room to order something simple like coffee with cream. The staff were all smiling and nice...but the language issue becomes more of a hindrance as the week goes on.
The housekeeping staff needs some work. One day our room was never tended to. On the other days, at best they made beds...sometimes they didn't even take towels we had left. Some days, they would take 4 towels and only leave 2. Nothing was cleaned the whole week we were there. The mini fridge was not restocked as my kids drank soda and water.
Lastly, the airport in Punta Cana is horrible. You will be charged $10 cash per person to enter the country upon arrival so be prepared. On the way home, we stood in hot lines for a long time. There is very poor and/or no signage to give direction on where to go. It is open air and they allow smoking. It made for a very long and uncomfortable trip home.
So, my family rested in a lovely resort but it needs some significant work on it's food and it's service level. At this point, I wouldn't recommend this resort or the Dominican Republic in general to anyone else.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank mbardsley

Dear Guest,

We really appreciated your feedback which is received with gratitude since our guests’ opinion in regards to their experience is very important and assistance to us. Thank you so much for your kind comments about our grounds and infrastructure.
We regret not having met your expectations; this is very disconcerting because we strive for consistency and excellence with regards to our service levels. We are extremely disappointed to hear about the service issues you encountered during your stay. Please be assured that we will never cease in our efforts to achieve the total satisfaction of our guest. We sincerely apologize the inconveniences trying to communicate with our Staff, as you may know English is not our mother tongue but our personnel do their best in order to understand our guests and provide them a promptly resolution to their requests.

We regret if we did not fulfill your expectations regarding the food served at our hotel. We cater people from all over the world and generally get very good comments on our food. We are sorry if they were not similarly impressed. We make menu changes throughout the year and their comments would be passed onto our Executive chef to improve on any shortcomings. On the other hand, we would like you to feel assured that we do not have a preference for any nationality. We gladly receive guests from all over the world; however we do our best to make all our guests feel at home.

We would be glad, if you give us another chance in the future to convince you of our qualities and to demonstrate you that we are really improving daily.

Javier Cordero Gilsanz
General Manager at Barceló Bávaro Palace Deluxe.