Iberostar Dominicana Hotel
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
8,088 results
All reviewsstar friendsstar rock cafesteakseafooddominican republicthe oriental restauranta la carte restaurantsguest servicesla pagodajunior suiteapple vacationsbeautiful beachother resortsceiling fanlobby barfrozen drinkssaona island
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I went to Punta Cana from May 3rd to May 10th. I really liked it but I prefer Cuba over Punta Cana. The hotel is very good. Food and beach are excellent. The hotel is ok. it is clean even though I had a few ants in my room. Make sure to always keep the air conditionner on I think it keeps the bugs out. The animation of the hotel was the best feature. They are funny and fun. What I disliked about my trip was the negociation to buy something and the smokers. The price to pay is really 1/3 to 2/3 of the first price the give you. They work by commission so they are agressive to sell. I think that the hotel should create a smoker section in the buffet and the bar.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank Montreal75
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear guests,
On behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager, we thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and for taking time to write a review about your experience at Iberostar Dominicana.
We would like to express you how satisfied we are to read that you enjoyed a “great trip”, as you entitled your review. As you well know, in Iberostar we want our beloved guests to enjoy unforgettable holiday.
Our team in Iberostar in Cuba will be glad to welcome you back; feel free to contact us in case you need some assistance prior your next vacation.
With kindest regards,

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We went for a family holiday here on the 24th-28th May....we have a 3yr old and a 6yr old..we went for 2 weeks as we travelled from England so it's a 9hr flight..first all I like to say we had a lovely time but this resort doesn't have any play area for the kids in the pool..our 2 got very bored in the water but they went into kids club quite a bit and very much enjoyed it..the kids club kept them busy and we could leave them with them....the first week we was there we thought the ladies who looked after them were brilliant but the 2nd week we were disappointed as we felt they weren't on the ball as much as they changed the staff over..we felt our 2 enjoyed it alot more the first week too..plus as my youngest is almost 4 we were very nervous with leaving her but they love kids over there and I followed them around for a couple of days to make sure they were ok...
The food was lovely the first four days and then it got very boring and samey!!!..kids got fed up with it aswel..but my oldest loved the deserts!..I was sick on the 6 day for about 4 hours straight ...definitely something I ate but the kids and partner ate the same sort of things so it could have just been my stomach!!
the beach was the best bit.. We loved it ..blue sky,blue sea..soft sand...Amazing!!!The sea was rough but still lovely..if u want the shade on the beach then u will have to grab a bed pretty quick..they go by 9am..plus the pool area!!
Staff were really lovely..very helpfull but did not understand English much and didn't speak much of it either!!
Our room was really nice too...a maid would come every day and leave it sparkling clean..always a smell of bleach!!!they were happy to do anything for u...fridge was always stocked up with water,coke,sprite and fanta...it was Free!!! No complaints with the room!!
The animation team were so happy all the time always singing and dancing around..we went to a show and they have a lot of energy but if honest it wasn't the best but they try!!!weather was lovely ..we had a couple of cloudy days but mostly sun!!!!
Make sure u take some cream for bites as I got eaten over there and still itching now!!
The photo shop on the site was awfull!!!! Warning they ripped us off !! First the photo shoot last 20 mins and it was just at the beach.. Very quick!!.. I went to look at pictures and they were lovely and she said it was 10 photos of choice with cd for $120.. So it's like £80-£90 ..which we thought was very expensive anyway but we weren't going to get these again in the dominican so we payed the €120 and got just a cd..I kicked up and fuss and said that I wanted photos aswel but they said one or the other!! By this time they took my money and wouldn't give me the cd either!! We was not happy!! So just a warning!!
Overall lovely holiday.. Too long with kids for 2 weeks 10 days would have been much better..I would go back but different hotel!!!

Room Tip: Get a bungalow if your a family or a group of people
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank claire R

Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your vacations. On behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, hotel Manager, we also thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
We regret to acknowledge that our family friendly premises and the service provided by our kid clubs could not meet your expectations nor ensured you a memorable and positive holiday as we aim in Iberostar. We have also shared your feedback regarding our gastronomy with our Executive Chef.
On the other hand, we appreciate your positive valuation about the beauty and cleanness of our premises and beach, in Iberostar we are committed to upkeep our premises.
We kindly invite you to visit Iberostar Bavaro where there is a water park for kids. We remain at your disposition for any further assistance.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We traveled to the iberostar dominicana on May 17th-May 24th. We had a wonderful stay at this resort! We booked through apple vacations which I highly recommend because everything went very smoothly.

Rooms: We had a room on the 2nd floor (4139) that faced the beach but our view of the ocean was blocked by a restaurant which was a bummer. Our room was always very clean and the fridge was always restocked. We did tip our maid each day because she did an excellent job! One night we came back from dinner to find fresh towels and our bed rearranged with flowers. So cute! Our bathroom was very nice with a spacious shower. The only complaint would be our air conditioning. Our room was never really cold all week even with the air up to the highest setting and with the ceiling fan on. We called maintenance and they came to look at it and said there was nothing they could do which kind of sucked. It just felt musty and warm to me but it didn’t ruin my trip at all because we were hardly in the room. We also always used the safe and had no trouble with it!

Grounds/Beach: The resorts grounds are beautifully maintained and their landscapers work very hard to keep it this way. We enjoyed taking walks through the garden each morning. The pool is also very nice and big. We were able to use ours and the punta cana side all week. The beach is by far the best part though! Beautiful warm blue water with little seaweed which was nice. There are waves which were a bit of a change from the gulf but it didn’t bother us. There were a few days though that the water was too choppy to do water sports which was a bummer when we wanted to kayak. During the day the staff was out raking seaweed keeping the beach clean which was nice. The palapas are a must though because the sun is very strong. We were always able to find a palapa without a struggle each day. We would sometimes get up early to reserve one like everyone does but other days hit it lucky and found one in the afternoon.

Food: We were always able to find something good to eat throughout the week. For breakfast we tried all three buffets and enjoyed eggs, potatoes, and toast. Their omelets were pretty good. For lunch we always ate at the beach buffet and everything was pretty good there too. Did not like their hamburgers and hot dogs though very different then what we are use to. Also their pizza wasn’t very good. It was also fun when the chefs cooked at the outdoor grill! Yummy paella! Throughout the week I stayed away from cheese and things that didn’t look cold when they should be and I didn’t get sick at all. For dinner we went to the buffets twice. I liked the nacho bar they had one night and my boyfriend enjoyed a made to order steak. The star rock café was also pretty good they had really good fajitas! The restaurants were by far the best though. We really enjoyed the Mexican and oriental place the best! The seafood restaurant wasn’t very good and if you can try the steakhouse or gourmet instead.

Drinks: Everything was pretty good but very sweet. The slushy drinks were all made with rum and were always put on ice because they would not stay frozen. The beer there is president and I didn’t like it but I also don’t really like beer.

Entertainment: Another huge plus of this resort is the entertainment team (Star Friends). They work so hard to provide a good time for quests. Each afternoon they had games and shows to watch on the beach or at the pool which was fun! They also put on shows each night (some better than others) that were fun and entertaining. I really give them all credit because they are up early and go to bed late and are always so happy and fun! They def made our trip more fun! On a side note there are a lot of kids at this resort. This never bothered us because the staff always had things for the kids to do and late night all the kids were gone when everyone went to the disco!

Excursion: We always felt very safe on our resort and even off the resort. We did the marinarium trip to snorkel with the sting rays which was very fun and would recommend!!

Overall: Excellent trip! Great weather! The staff was fantastic and kept the resort very clean which made me happy! They also really cared about their guests! I can definitely say I would stay at this resort again and also with iberostar in the future!

Room Tip: ask for a garden view and also upper levels
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Dominicana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your first holidays in the Dominican Republic and also for taking the time to post a review about your experience on Tripadvisor.
We are very pleased to read your positive valuation about the service provided by our team, the quality and variety of our gastronomy and the beauty, cleanness and maintenance of our hotel premises. In Iberostar our guiding principles are to provide an excellent service and to serve a wide gastronomical option to our “stars” on vacation.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for the issues related to the maintenance of your air condition. Our maintenance team is already working to prevent more incidences of this nature.
We are waiting for your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Iberostar Dominicana from 7 May to 21 May and, having been to the Dom Rep twice previously, both agreed that if we were to rate the holiday overall we would probably give it 3.5 out of 5. There were some aspects that were better than others so thought it would be useful to have a brief narrative to better explain the score (especially given the range of reviews on this site).

Location - the location of the hotel was great and, having been to Bavaro before, we knew what to expect. The beach was excellent and within a moment's walk of the pool and our accommodation. With a short c30 minute transfer from the airport we couldn't really ask for more.

Facilities - the brochure stated that guests at this hotel could use the facilities at the sister hotel. We thought this would be a plus but - when we arrived - felt that the statement was in fact a little misleading. Yes, the Dominicana and Punta Cana are sold as separate hotels but they are ultimately one and the same with pools right beside each other and a number of shared restaurants. The accommodation blocks were the same (albeit on opposing sides of the tropical gardens) and the guests from both hotels mingled throughout the day.

The pool was reasonably sized (certainly better than the Iberostar Bavaro next door) but we felt that it could have been better. The gardens were lovely but we would rather have given some of them up to have a bigger pool area. The Majestic Colonial just up the beach (where we went 5 years ago) had a winding pool all around the hotel grounds and we found that much better in terms of being able to find a more private space to sit during the day. Contrary to some of the other reviews, we found that there were plenty of shades and whilst we were early risers there were still vacant sunbeds up until about 0930hrs each morning.

Accommodation - whilst our room had been refurbished it did look a little dated. We only lasted a couple of nights in the first room that we were given as it was too noisy but we were moved quickly when we raised it as an issue with reception. The second room was ok - the view wasn't great and the bathroom was pretty poor (big chips in the enamel) but it served its purpose. The maid service was a little disappointing too in that the mini bar wasn't restocked as it should have been; we didn't get the dressing gowns that we requested and - perhaps most importantly - the cleaning itself seemed a little substandard. Having tipped at the beginning of the stay we didn't bother by the end. The only other thing that niggled was the air con - it worked reasonably well but as it was controlled centrally we weren't able to adjust it to suit our needs (something we definitely missed).

Food - we ate in the buffet restaurant most of the time but did try some of the a la carte restaurants and tended to stick to the restaurant by the pool for lunch (as it had freshly BBQ'd meats etc). The buffet was ok if a little repetitive and it wasn't as good as the Majestic Colonial or the Bahia Principe in Samana where we had stayed previously. Lunch was actually better and - believe it or not - we felt that we had more choice there. The Mexican was a little strange and not really to our taste (fruit salad drizzled with tequila should have read as fruit salad awash with tequila) but the steak house and the oriental were much more impressive (especially the latter). The star rock cafe was also good and whilst we only went there once it was nice to have an a la carte that you didn't have to reserve. We wouldn't have got into the oriental if we had only been staying a week so it definitely makes sense to book up early! Drinks were fine with some decent spirits included in the all inclusive package - I was happy with my cocktails by the pool!

Entertainment - we didn't see much of the evening entertainment as it's not really our thing but we met many of the entertainment team both out and about during the day and during the evening. The team was excellent - very friendly, very enthusiastic, very informative without being pushy - a difficult balance but one which we felt that they got just right.

Staff - we were really impressed with the staff at the Iberostar and really couldn't understand earlier reviews which suggested that they were miserable or worse still rude. We found them to be very friendly, willing and ever helpful without being overbearing. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble and we didn't really come across anyone who gave us cause for complaint.

Overall - we would definitely visit Bavaro again and would think about coming back to the Iberostar though I think we would probably look elsewhere first. All in all though a pleasant and relaxing stay and one which we will remember fondly.

7  Thank LisaM78_12

Dear guests,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays and for posting a review on Tripadvisor.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we would like to express our happiness to read your positive valuation about our services, premises and your experience. In Iberostar we want to ensure unforgettable experiences to our beloved guests. We have taken good notes from your feedback in order to improve some areas of our services according to our Iberostar standards.
We will be glad to welcome you back. Please feel free to contact us prior your return.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went to the Iberostar Dominicana in September 2012. It was our first oversea's holiday and I must say it was amazing! Everyone is so kind, very helpful and always smiling :-). Our room was huge, we had two double beds even though it was only the two of us. Bathroom was very nice and cleaned every day. The food was good and more then enough. I would recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to have a nice relaxation holiday to enjoy not only the sun but to be surrounded by wonderful, very nice people who make your holiday that more a joy.
We will most certainly return and want to thank Robilin @ the restaurant for his amazingly good mood, it was a joy meeting him and the rest of the team !!!! See you hopefully very soon !!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we thank you for your publication on Tripadvisor and for choosing Iberostar Dominicana for your holidays.
We are very pleased to read that your first visit to the Dominican Republic was memorable due to the friendliness of our staff (Robelin, among them) and our varied gastronomy. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to provide the best service.
We are looking forward to welcome you back. Please feel free to write us an email before your next visit.