11,189 results
All reviewssurf and turfboom boomstar friendskobe beeflobsterdinner reservationscigar barbutler servicepool barour honeymoonother resortsspecialty restaurantslunch buffetbubble bathpina coladaocean frontall inclusive resort
Reviewed August 2, 2009

All I can say is OMG! I spent 6 days and 5 nights at the Grand for my honeymoon and by day 2 my husband thought we had died and gone to heaven! This is the place to be on a honeymoon or vacation with your significant other. The buffet at breakfast, lunch and dinner were great. I visited the Surf n Turf, Japanese and French restaurant during my stay and enjoyed every meal. We got everything and anything we asked for! The staff was great and the Animation staff was fun. These people work so hard. Please tip whenever you can. Its not expected but its appreciated. The bartenders at the pool are the best. Im not a drinker but Leonardo (best bartender ever!) introduced me to a few great drinks: The Coco Loco, Dirty Monkey and Pineapple Malibu. My husband appreciated that! I dont want to ramble, JUST GO!!!! SOON! :)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
11  Thank KendallsWife
Reviewed July 30, 2009

My daughter and I booked a trip to the Grand July 15th for 5 days and nights, looked at all the pictures and reviews beforehand and were stunned at how much more beautiful it was in person. Just walking from the entrance to the lobby desk was breathtaking. We did indeed get the cold towel and cocktail, were taken to our room personally and met by our butler. Had breakfast the next morning on the balcony which was lovely and peaceful. The beach was quiet and relaxing and the water was beautiful. Never had to struggle to find a thatched covered chaise lounge hut.

I probably can't say any more wonderful or new information about the experience at this resort other than other people have, except the fact that I honestly felt like royalty. Their motto there, which they will tell you if you seem apologetic for asking for anything is "everything is for you", and they are not kidding. Every single staff member greeted you even in passing with "hola" and they are very, very hardworking people. There were men out on the grounds who were tending to the grounds all the time. Picking out discolored blades of grass, I kid you not.

I enjoyed the buffets and the restaurants we went to as well. While there were a lot of things I wasn't interested in eating there is enough variety of food at this resort that even the pickiest of eaters can find something to like. I didn't come here to eat hot dogs and hamburgers! The people who complained about the food are ridiculous or just not very well traveled.

We didn't get a paper every day like one reviewer complained, but then did I really want to know what's going on in the Miami Herald...uh, no. They have a TV in the room that gets CNN, get over yourself. We didn't need a bulter every day but saw them all the time. We had our beds turned down every evening with the chocolate....why? Because I left the room attendant a tip every morning....imagine that! We were even left a bottle of champagne without asking for it. They do go above and beyond to make you happy.

If you are going to trek down the beach to participate in the parasailing and other similar activities, I suggest you avoid the Glass Bottom Boat tour. Do NOT bring a purse,camera or anything valuable that's not waterproof. There will be a videographer in the boat who will film you no matter what you are doing, get right in your face, and then expect you to buy the video when you get back. Be prepared to be soaked from the meandering trek out in the ocean and then be told you'll have to get IN the water with a snorkel to see anything. The small rectangular glass piece on the bottom of the boat? Useless. Then you will be taken to shore where you will be ushered out of the boat to shore to enjoy the blow up slide and shop whether you want to or not. Another eternity back to where you began and don't look back when you get out. Oh, I forgot, on the way back you will be treated with chips and cold cheese dip and soda. The deluge of ocean water is free, but the trip is $45 a person.

None of this reflects on the Grand, it's part of the Ocean Blue resort next door. Don't go there unless you get your picture taken with a zoo animal on the beach and really, really want it bad. You can't take pictures on your own of course, they make money from this. You have to retrieve it after 5:00 that evening for $15 for a 5x7. Personally, the walk to the photo shop was an agonizing journey. You'll so appreciate the Grand that much more after this little visit.

Go to the entertainment offerings every night and you will enjoy them all. I particularly LOVED the Michael Jackson show, it was totally amazing. The jazz band and the singing group were awesome and had really great voices.

The swim up bar closes at around 6:00pm so if you're wanting to drink and get rowdy you'll have to go down the beach to another resort. If you're single and looking for action and wild nightlife, you'll have to go down the beach. This is not a singles resort at all. It's a wonderfully relaxing and pampering place to stay.

Do yourself a huge favor, and go there.

• Stayed: July 2009
15  Thank Sestone1
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We returned yesterday from our trip to Punta Cana and our stay at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro. We spent a week there in April and really enjoyed it. We spent two weeks there this time. Again, we had a great time all around. Starting with the check-in Esther, Freddy & Giovanni were wonderful.

The food was great. We particularly liked the Japanese & gourmet restaurants. The lunch buffet served in the beachfront restaurant is quite lovely, and there is a good variety of dishes each day. The soups and breads are delicious. My husband really enjoyed the grilled lobster. If there is something you want and don’t see, just ask. The staff is very accommodating. Thank you Johanna, Johan, Rivera and Chef Antonio for our lovely lunches! Room service is available 24 hours a day and we enjoyed nice breakfasts on our balcony with the help from Juan , Nicole, Ricardo, and Orlando.

At the pool bar the team is great. You never have to wait for a drink or ask for a refill. Leily, Leidy, and the funny but very professional Leonardo keep happy hour going all day. Try Leonardo’s Mojito with poquito (just a little) sugar. Emilio makes an awesome Caesar (but if that’s your drink too, bring your own Clamato since it isn’t available locally. The best-kept secret is the disco on the boat (the sailing vessel perched in the pool area). Tomas keeps the place rocking with his bartending and enthusiasm and you can dance until the wee hours.

The beach is long with fine sand and terrific for walking. We walked each day for a couple of hours and collapsed on our beach chairs mid-afternoon. You need not stray from your beach chair since Cedano & Dionysis , the beach waiters, won’t let you go thirsty. Each day, Grisel was sure to stop by our chairs with icy cold “refreshing towels” scented with cucumber.

The activities team including Maria, Wildon & Cassandra kept the active types busy with an array of sports & games, but there was no pressure to do anything not of interest. At night, they were there to chat, dance & mingle with the guests. It was nice to talk with them individually.

The room decor is lovely and of course everything is in superb condition since the property is new. I am a bath lover and enjoyed a nice soak in the Jacuzzi everyday. Our butlers, Carlos and Henry (photos included) were superb. They both tried their best to anticipate everything we would need and, if we had a request, they graciously accommodated us. It was very nice to see Henry again since he was our butler during our last visit. Again, on this visit, he prepared a beautiful rose petal bubble bath complete with champagne. We only briefly encountered one of our maids and I did not get her name, but the maids kept the rooms impeccably clean. The turn down maids were very creative each night with the various turn down arrangements.

We would make two suggestions for the management. The first would be that the evening shows be more focused on showcasing local singers and bands playing authentic music, rather than the staged & sometimes lip-synced shows in the theatre which are pretty much the same fare as in any other all-inclusive. We think that the Iberostar Grand can raise the bar on the main entertainment feature each night and also offer a wider variety of simultaneous entertainment options. The second suggestion would be to not have the rather loud, thumping music playing on the beach during volleyball. I’m sure the volleyball players wouldn’t care if it was eliminated, but those who want to chill-out, snooze or read quietly would appreciate the solitude.

In conclusion, our initial decision to stay at the Iberostar Grand in April was based on the fact that it was a new 5-star and we were curious. We had stayed at our nice hotels nearby (Bahia Principe Ambar & Majestic Colonial) during the previous year. Our decision to return to the Iberostar Grand was based partly on the very high overall satisfaction we had with the property’s facilities, but especially on the quality of the service we received from the wonderful , genuine, gracious staff. We are looking forward to our next visit next year.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Julia_Leo
Reviewed July 27, 2009

What can you say when everyone else has said everything????? My friend and I just returned from travel to Punta Cana. We arrived at "The Grand" as the locals call it on 07/23/09-07/26/09 for a short weekend getaway! My first choice was the Majestic Elegance but looking at their mixed reviews made me nervous, so I switched our destination to Iberostar Grand! Thanks Beachdestinations.com for your help in taking care of this at the last minute! I must say I don't regret it!!!!! This place is freaking gorgeous! We had a blast just relaxing and soaking in the ambience of this place! In our book nothing has topped our trip to Turks and Caicos but I must say this place did come rather close! While relaxing on the beach, I noticed other neighboring resorts patrons trying to sneak on the property to take pictures or get in the pool but was quickly whisked away by the Iberostar's onsite security team. I had an opportunity to speak with one couple and they inquired about the place and will book for their travel next year to the D.R. They were smitten by how outstanding this resort stood out from the rest!. This should tell you how beautiful this place is! as all the others have said.....STOP READING AND JUST GO!!!! You won't regret it! We will definitley be back next year!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank ararejewel69
Reviewed July 27, 2009

It was a great trip. The only reason I am saying don't go there is because I don't want too many people to find out about the Grand. Once everyone knows about it, it will get more crowded. It was perfect last week. Employees great, good food and drink and other fun people there. Everyone knew my name. Great VK

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo