Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
$168
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
10,680 results
All reviewssurf and turfboom boomstar friendskobe beeflobsterdinner reservationscigar barbutler serviceour honeymoonpool barother resortsspecialty restaurantslunch buffetbubble bathpina coladaall inclusive resortrose petals
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This was my first trip to the Caribbean and was won by my company ... (lucky me!) I had the pleasure of bringing my close friend. From touch-down at Punta Cana airport, I observed the hard-working people of the Dominican Republic. Upon arrival at the hotel, we felt treated like royalty. The resort offers only pure luxury and the ocean view from our room was breathtaking with its tall, proud palm trees overlooking the many variations of blue. The ocean, winding pool and swim-up bar, together with the jacuzzi and waiter/waitress staff always readily and available to refill your drinks add to this top class experience. The hotel staff were wonderful; Juana, who checked us in and, Justo, our butler, was extremely courteous and professional - available instantaneously whenever we needed anything. The evening we arrived, members of the Star Team, Margarita and Tommy, informed us of the 10 pm show at the theatre. We had so much fun that we attended all 3 nights we were there. I have to say Ricardo was the highlight of all those shows for me ... "all the single ladies put your hands up"! (I'm sure he's not single, though!) We also did the half day Safari excursion. Willis, our tour guide, was so knowledgeable, interesting and, with his sarcastic humor thrown in also, we had such an enjoyable day. That day was also my birthday and, upon returning to my room after our outing, it was filled with balloons accompanied by a bottle of champagne, birthday cake and flowers. I felt like a princess - with only my tiara missing! The food at the hotel was also delicious; the drinks, delightful, and all those who served us the most warm and loving people I've ever met. My biggest regret was not bringing a wad of smaller dollar bills to tip everyone I encountered. They all deserve it. "You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. "For God loves a person who gives cheerfully." 2 Corinthians 9:7

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor of an ocean view room overlooking the boat. We loved the location and beautiful view from our balcony. I never even heard a room door open or close on either side of ours or opposite .... very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank Kilmacormick
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Hotel is beautiful, grounds are breathtaking. We loved the staff there - they were always willing to give you the time of day and make you feel important. We had planned on doing an excursion but decided to just spend our time at the resort as it was so beautiful and there were lots of activities available.

We emailed ahead for our dinner and golf reservations and they were ready for us when we arrived. We really enjoyed the golf and we also had a couple of games of tennis while we were there - loved the clay courts. The best part was not having to wake up at 6 to reserve a chair. We could always find a place to sit anytime of the day even after golf.

Food was very good - no complaints there. We can't wait to return soon.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
9  Thank jbfed
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Pure luxury. My Husband and I just returned from spending our honeymoon at this amazing resort. We highly recommend this resort to anyone who just wants to be pampered. This place was worth every penny. We were assigned a butler for our entire stay who was great and assisted us with ANYTHING we needed. Our butlers name was Henry and he was great!! All of the staff was always smiling, very friendly and always made us feel welcome. The waiters/waitresses for the pool, beach and ship area were wonderful. We were never without a drink no matter where we were on the resort. A couple other staff members that really stood out were Tommy and "Boom Boom" who worked in the entertainment dept. They were extremely friendly. The property was stunning and very clean. So many lounge chairs and cabanas and beach huts that you never felt like you were on top of other guests. The pool and beach areas where very clean. The staff cleaned and maintained the property very well. The food was great! We def recommend that you either email the resort reservation requests for the restaurants before you get there or make the reservations with your butler as soon as you get there. There is a buffet which was also very good. If you choose this resort you won't be disappointed.

4  Thank MissyH4
Reviewed February 25, 2014

An absolutely perfect 7 days at the Bavaro Grand Hotel in the Dominican Republic. The pleasure began a week before our visit when we corresponded with Caroline Pena via email to request dinner reservation for our week long stay...Ms Pena's prompt responce and graciousness was exceptional and very much appreciated. Upon arrival to the lobby Juan Carlos greeted us and checked us in while making us feel very warm and welcomed. Juan is curtious and professional. Once settled in our butler Kelvin meet our every need (without being over bearing) promptly and professionally while always happy to do so. The Star team (activity coordinators) were great, really enjoyed Tommy. All the staff including the pool maintenance man Provativo where happy, friendly and helpful in every way.
The Food is excellent, the drinks are top quality and the entertainment was enjoyable.
It is obvious that the Iberostar team pays attention to every fine detail!
Dennis Papich

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
6  Thank dpapman
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I and another couple were looking for a long weekend getaway. We wanted a short flight from NYC, no connections, and no lengthy drive from the airport to resort. Punta Cana fit the bill. Having stayed at Iberostar resorts twice before, I was confident in their quality and value, so we decided on a 4-night stay at the Grand Bavaro adults-only resort over Super Bowl weekend.

I had specifically requested a room on a higher floor with the best possible view. Upon checking in we were assigned a room on the 2nd floor directly facing the buildings of the sister resort next door. I was terrifically disappointed and immediately returned to the front desk to ask if anything could be done. A charming gentleman named Edwards spent some time exploring options for me, but it is high season and the resort was full, so he was very apologetic.

The very next morning while sitting at the pool, one of the butlers sought me out and asked me to go see Juana at the front desk. Juana kindly apologized for overlooking my booking request and moved us to a room on the upper floor facing the courtyard of the resort where we had a spectacular view of the pool and the ocean beyond.

You will never have a vacation that is completely problem-free, but the manner in which your problem is handled is the true test of quality, and Iberostar staff does not disappoint.

The property itself is beautiful and immaculately maintained. The bed was possibly the most comfortable I've ever slept on. The pool is large enough that you can find a party or a quiet corner, whichever you want. The beach is delightful. Much less crowded than the pool area, and FAR less crowded than any of the other resorts on this entire stretch of beach. While tipping is not required or even expected, a few dollars here and there get your drinks to you more quickly.

We had read other reviews about making dinner reservations in advance. We tried to do it on the website but found out that you can only do that if you made your hotel reservation on the website, which we had not. So then we tried to call, but were told we should send an email, which we did, and received a reply telling us simply that they would "try" to accommodate us. It was only after we checked in that our butler was able to tell us what night we were eating where and at what time.

One thing we found odd: one night we tried to move our dinner reservation a little later in the evening (like from 6:30 to 7pm) and were told we could not. We arrived at 6:30 as directed, and watched as the restaurant remained half empty the entire time and was still half empty when we left. So why couldn't we have been seated at 7pm? Not sure...

The food is very good for an all-inclusive. We ate at all of the restaurants but the Japanese place, and had delicious meals at all of them (although I would say the Italian was my least favorite). Make sure you order dessert! Buffet for both breakfast and lunch provided a great variety of options. Also, some guests who had stayed at other resorts in the area commented that none of the others offer top-shelf liquor like the Grand Bavaro.

We were there to relax so we didn't participate in any activities. But there was always someone walking around announcing what was going on (Spanish lessons, dance lessons, volleyball in the pool, etc). They were all extremely charming, energetic and fun to chat with, and they did NOT try to pressure you into participating which is something that has annoyed me at other resorts.

Also a bit odd: When emailing about our dinner reservations I had also requested a massage at the spa for 10am Sunday. When I arrived at the spa I was told my appointment had been for Saturday. Our butler hadn't mentioned this, nor did the spa call when I didn't arrive for the Sat appt. Fortunately they were happy to accommodate me at 10am Sunday, but as I said, just a little odd. Spa services are reasonably priced and the view from the treatment rooms is spectacular. There is a gym upstairs that is very well-equipped and clean, with the same great view.

Overall we had a fabulous stay. The staff goes out of their way to make sure their guests are well taken care of. Outstanding value for the price. I hope to be back!

2  Thank farawayNJ