Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Pool
10,682 results
All reviewssurf and turfboom boomstar friendskobe beeflobsterdinner reservationscigar barbutler serviceour honeymoonpool barother resortsspecialty restaurantslunch buffetbubble bathpina coladaall inclusive resortrose petals
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was our first trip to DR. It was beautiful and beyond our expectations. The moment we arrived, we were greeted by a glass of cold Champaign. The staff was very nice, but they hardly speak English. The communication was a bit of a problem. We asked for fresh towels and lotion; the housekeeping personnel did not understand until I showed her the towel. Its not a big deal, we can work around it.
The room - We had a very nice ocean front room. Miguel, our butler, did an amazing job of booking our reservations. It feels great when all our requests were met to the greatest satisfaction. He prepared the most amazing bubble bath for us one of the nights and was always checking with us when he'd see us around the hotel grounds or in the hallways to see if he could get us anything!
The grounds - are nicely kept and very clean. There was no problem of finding a comfortable loungers on the beach or cabanas by the pool. The pool bar is great, nice staff and they will mix whatever drink you’d like.
The beach - is very pretty. The sand is super soft and the water is warm and blue.
Food- LOBSTERS, LOBSTERS and LOBSTERS !Wow!- we loved the buffet lunch. Nice variety and good food, but sometimes its too much. The restaurants are great. We tried all of them and the service at the gourmet was excellent. Special thanks to Antonio who went above and beyond to accommodate us (we can be picky eaters). He had a very pleasant personality and exceptional customer service.
The Star Friends were great and fun. Boom Boom who had us laughing every day and the lovely Winston who is such a nice and great guy.
Now the not so good part!
Entertainment- different every evening, but little boring. Maybe that’s the reason the dancers come after our spouses! I did not appreciate when Linda or Lalindis (I believe that’s her name) got too close to my husband grabbing his behind, putting her wig on him and even passing her phone number. That’s a NO-NO! Yes, maybe we had one too much to drink, but the dancers should never take advantage of that situation and engage in inappropriate behavior.

That was the only thing I did not like at the resort. If we go back next year, we will definitely stay away from the dancers.

Overall we had a great experience. This resort is the perfect little paradise, nice romantic getaway and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Mallory R
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear guest,
We thank you for publishing a review about your experience at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro Hotel and on behalf of the hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we also thank you for choosing our premises for your holidays.
On the one hand, we appreciate how you highlighted out the beauty and cleanness of our premises, the personalized service of our staff and our varied gastronomy. These aspects of our services is the key to the success in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts worldwide so we can ensure memorable stays to our “stars” on vacation.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for any inconveniences related to our Star Friend staff. We will be carry a deep investigation about this serious accusation as our Staff when are hired receive formation related to treat our costumers according to international codes of behavior.
We will be honored to welcome you back again and show you the way our Star Friend make feel our costumers comfortable with their level of respect. Please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I joined two other couples for a 6 day vacation here just last week (Nov 2013). It was a fabulous vacation and we have already decided that if we return to Punta Cana, we will undoubtedly return to this resort. The property is gorgeous, the beach fabulous, the rooms well equipped and the food is amazing. We spent our days by the pool, getting drinks at the pool bar and lounging in the various chairs and cabanas available. We also participated in a number of activities offered during the day, like dance lessons, dart games, aqua fitness, mini golf... it was all fun.

I went to the gym every morning. It was fairly well equipped with 2 treadmills, 3 elliptical machines, 3 bikes (I think), various weight machines (mostly for legs), dumbbells (to 45 or 50lbs), a weight bench, ez bars (from 20-100 lbs I think), and stability balls and mats. It was never very crowded when I went at 8am.

We also walked along the bench probably 4-5 miles a couple days and noted that it seemed that our resort had more open beach and more privacy on the beach than other resorts. The beach chairs and cabanas seemed cramped at the other resorts.

We did 'reserve' cabanas and chairs by the pool early in the morning by placing towels on them before I went to the gym. Even then, others were reserved already. However, there were always open chairs and cabanas and the pool never felt crowded.

The food was amazing. We had the breakfast buffet and then lunch at the snack bar buffet each day. Much of the food was cooked to order, like omelettes and eggs. Crepes, donuts, pancakes and waffles were freshly made. The staff was attentive and always provided water and any beverage requested. Lunch was the same - fresh steak cooked to order as well as a great variety of food and dessert.

The one problem we had was dinner reservations. We were told to make them after we arrived, but when we tried, we were told there was nothing available. The restaurants were very empty, but we were repeatedly told we could not get reservations. After talking to a few people and complaining, we got reservations at a Mediterranean restaurant at a sister resort and then at the Japanese and Surf and Turf restaurant at Grand Bavaro. The Mediterranean restaurant was terrible. The atmosphere was awful and the food was not good. However, the Japanese restaurant and the Surf and Turf were both spectacular. Additionally, the dinner buffet was delicious as well and offered a tremendous amount of options.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms appear to be a waste, as the pool outside your room does not connect to the main pool. Rooms can face the pool, beach or other resort, so try to request the pool or beach for a better view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lynn A

Dear guest,
On behalf of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us and for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays.
We are very pleased to read that the beauty of our premises, our varied culinary options and the friendliness of our staff members ensured you a memorable stay. In Iberostar our friendly staff is committed to ensure memorable experiences to our valuable costumers.
On the other hand, we extend our apologies for the inconveniences related to our a la carte restaurants. Our reservation system consists on propose four sittings so our guests can enjoy with their rhythm our exquisite gastronomy. For that reason we do not fill up all tables as it would bring a total delay of our system and guests might feel pressed to finish meals as other guests would be waiting for. Moreover, we always give opportunity to guests when cancellation occurs (which includes the case when a costumers do not show up up to 15 minutes after their sitting). However, there are some cases in which people do not simple show up to have dinner and more tables look empty. We are thankful for your comprehension on this matter.
We are looking forward to see you again and remain at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit,
Kindest regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Outstanding staff, so very nice and doing everything to make you enjoy your stay. Rooms excellent in cleaning, space, bathroom, we had a great view on the ocean. Food with a great variety, everything fresh and really tasty (one choice of vegeterian dish in the restaurants would be nice, though staff was very uncomplicated in offering something if you didn t feel like meat or seafood for a day).
Fantastic entertainment staff, nice, funny, good feeling when to leave you to your books and when to animate to do something.
All in all we had the most relaxing week in a great place. We will come back for sure.

Room Tip: Seaview can also mean poolview, depending through with agency you book. So make sure before you book.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Caro K

Dear guests,
Firstly we thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays and for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your stay.
We would like to express you how pleased we are to acknowledge that our friendly staff, exquisite gastronomy, beautiful premises and wide entertainment options have ensured you an unforgettable holiday as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. We have communicated our Executive Chef your suggestions related to our vegetarian options at the a al carte restaurant.
We are waiting for your next visit; please feel free to contact us prior your return.
With kindest regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Between Nov 3 and Nov 8 we stayed at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro. I went with my fiancee. We also traveled with his brother. It was my first trip to Punta Cana, but I have been to Jamaica, Cabo & Riviera Maya.

AIRPORT: Like many Caribbean destinations - the airport in Punta Cana is filled with individuals who want to "help" you with your bags. Don't buy into it, just keep walking by and say, "No thank you." It is a bit of a hectic situation. Luggage is placed on the floor and you are supposed to just find it while trying to avoid the men trying to "help." GENERAL TRAVEL TIP: ALWAYS make sure that your suitcase has some sort of unique identifier so you can QUICKLY find your OWN bag (I have a red suitcase, use a purple suitcase strap & have a large bright blue luggage tag - I can spot my bag from a long distance...)

TRANSPORTATION: Using CheapCaribbean we purchased a package that included airfare via JetBlue. We added a private shuttle to & from the airport. The private shuttle was great. The company CheapCaribbean currently uses is AMSTAR which is also affiliated with Apple Vacations. No complaints about our transportation. The trip from the airport to the resort was between 20-30 minutes - we had no traffic. FYI a highway is under construction which is scheduled to be done December. The highway is needed because at present you are driven through the town of Punta Cana which leads to significant delays. On our way to the airport we were stuck in traffic for at least 15 minutes so until the highway is complete plan accordingly.

LOBBY/ENTRANCE: The hotel entrance is impressive. While checking in we were served pina coladas and champagne. Check-in was quick as we were the only people that arrived at that time (one of the benefits of the private car). I found it odd, they did not take a credit card number for either of the rooms we booked.

BEACH: The beach is beautiful. White sand, turquoise waters, a few coconut trees, and very little seaweed/grass. The beach (as well as all of the grounds) are very well kept. During the day we saw staff cleaning up what little seaweed/grass was on the beach and we also saw staff taking garbage from the bins at each palapa. Speaking of palapas - the palapas are plentiful. Each morning we left the room for breakfast between 8 and 9 AM. We retrieved towels by the pool to claim our palapa. In Riveria Maya I woke up at 6 AM to claim a good palapa, but at the Iberostar Grand if I was out there by 8 we had front row on the water; if I was out there by 9 it might be second row... FANTASTIC. At each palapa there are 2-4 chaise lounges and an ashtray/garbage bin which really helps to keep the place clean. In addition there are Hobie Cats & Kayaks readily available at no charge. Staff constantly came out asking if we wanted drinks. We tipped for our drinks. Note: the waiter at the beach is the individual MAKING the drinks - if you want it stronger you need to let him know.

SPA: I utilized the spa services on the beach and not in the actual spa. I had an hour long massage on the beach. Overall it was a nice massage. I paid $60 for a 60 minute massage; this was a discount - I'm not sure why I got the discount but I'm happy I did :-) I told the masseur to charge the massage to my room. He did. Note: you must provide tip in cash and can not provide tip using your credit card or charge it to the room. The charge was addressed when we checked out. BTW - I honestly had to wonder if all the oil they use in the food is what was used on my body for the massage... just wondering ;-)

POOL: There are several pools by the beach. The pools appeared clean. The bar pool is lively. By the pool is the towel "hut" and bathrooms. By the pools there are also NUMEROUS cabanas and chaise lounges in the pools. I did not attempt to find a cabana in the morning, but I did notice that many of the cabanas were claimed by the time we were up and about (8-9 AM). We found it took longer to get drinks at the pool bar than when on the beach. Overall very nice pool set up. We visited the pool two afternoons after spending the morning on the beach. By afternoon there were plenty of chaise lounges & cabanas available.

ROOM: Have a look at the pictures, they accurately reflect the room we had; with a king size bed. The size of the room was good for the two of us. We needed additional hangers for our clothes and found it odd that the hotel did not provide luggage racks. The rooms have the expected amenities: a safe, minibar (which is kept stocked for you), snacks, slippers, robes. Towels in the bathroom were refreshed everyday and plentiful. I must admit I did appreciate receiving free coffee/tea mugs... yes... they provide a souvenir set for you to keep. I don't use hotel toiletries, but they were present - something from England. As another reviewer mentioned there are a few signs of fatigue such as the buttons popped off of the headboard and scratches on furniture. We greatly appreciated the chaise lounge in the room. The bathroom had a large tub and shower. The balcony has a swimsuit hanger, a set of bistro chairs & a bistro table, and an outdoor settee. We enjoyed our balcony, although it did not have a nice view - we had a view of the sister Iberostar resort. One interesting thing: the Iberostar Grand has censors to know if you are in the room. There is a motion & sound sensor in the bedroom as well as bathroom. You can press the button outside your door to see if anyone is in the room. This prevents housekeeping from disturbing you! It's a great idea! Oh and for power - the Iberostar Grand has outlets that accommodate both US and European plugs (other reviews indicated they needed converters or couldn't used grounded US plugs - I think they were reviewing another Iberostar property. There are FIVE on the campus where the Grand is located).

ENTERTAINMENT: The Grand is not marketed as an activity centric resort. If you want to stay busy, you can but this place is really about quietly RELAXING. You can visit the close-by sister resorts for the casino, "discotheque," lively bars, etc. During the day there are beach/pool competitions in which you can win an Iberostar medal or T-shirt (my fiancee won a medal for "Dominican Beach Bocce Ball"). There is an entertainment show each night at 10 PM. It's not the greatest entertainment. We saw one show that was pretty bad, the "Tropical" show. The circus show was ok - the strong man act was impressive. Just don't expect something that you'd pay for... There are two bars open evenings: the bar on the fake boat and the lobby bar. During our stay neither were very lively.

SERVICE/BUTLER: We had two butlers during our stay (they have 8 hour shifts). The butler that met us in our rooms gave us a short overview of the room and described the resort. I asked about making reservations at the restaurants and he suggested I call the concierge. When he was about to depart I handed him a $20 - he took a few steps in to the foyer (I assumed he saw what I handed him) and then he walked back into the room and said he'd make reservations for us immediately - he asked where we wanted to go. Beyond that interaction, we called the number he provided to ask for hangers, specific alcohol in the minibar, and a daily newspaper. Hangers came after 2 additional calls - it took over 24 hrs to get them. Minibar was stocked as requested within hours while we were out. We got the newspaper twice... no rhyme or reason for that... So... I didn't think the butler service was great.

SERVICE/RESTAURANTS: The staff were excellent at the restaurants. Because we frequented the buffet every morning, I want to say that Ortiz was very attentive. The first day Ortiz provided smaller bottles of water for each of us to consume on the beach (not that we needed it because there is staff at the beach). We gave him a $5 tip that first morning and moving forward he was very helpful & accommodating each time we went to the buffet for breakfasts & the 2 dinners.

SERVICE/LANGUAGE: The staff were not completely fluent in English, which I expected. We were not in an English speaking country so I expect to have to know key terms. ANOTHER GENERAL TRAVEL TIP: know key terms in the language spoken in that country. Key words such as numbers, how much, where is the bathroom, any specific food needs (for example I like milk with my morning tea), food allergies/concerns, favorite/disliked foods, etc.... it is a simple way to ensure you get what you want. Speaking English s-l-o-w-e-r will not help... Go to i-Tunes and download a language for travel tutorial; a little effort on your part to speak the language of the country your visiting is well appreciated!

FOOD:The food is just terrible. My fiancee says I've ruined him because I am a bit of a foodie and over the years he has been "forced" to eat at some amazing restaurants in DC & NYC; as a result he is now aware of food quality. We both agreed, the food is just awful. The same kitchen prepares the food in all of the restaurants - you will find that many of the food items available in the restaurants are available in the buffet. We had dinner at the buffet two nights (first & last evenings), Japanese, Italian, and Surf & Turf. Of the three the Japanese was the best, but it wasn't good... soy sauce with garlic butter and TONS of vegetable oil doesn't make it "Asian." The food left all of us in our party with gastrointestinal issues of various sorts; I had heart burn the ENTIRE trip and used up ALL of my travel Tums. My fiancee & his brother had stomach issues and therefore ate very little. I personally believe one of the issues may be with the amount of vegetable oil and lard used to cook everything. The best meal of the day for me was the freshly fried eggs at breakfast.

SUMMARY: The pictures you find here on TA accurately reflect what you will see. A clean, well-kept, nicely appointed all-inclusive; it's a very nice property. What you can't see in the pictures is the friendliness of the staff and how bad the food is...

Room Tip: We stayed in room 7224, which is on the 3rd floor and relatively close to a stairway & an elevator. It has easy access to the pool and beach. In addition the room has a neighbor on ONLY one side. It has a view of the sister Iberostar resort. GREAT LOCATION.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HappyHikerGirl

Dear guest,
In the name Hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays and for sharing your feedback with us through Tripadvisor.
On the one hand, we are very pleased to read your positive valuation about our beautiful grounds, the friendliness of our staff, our spa service and our wide options for daily and nightly entertainment. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
On the other hand, we regret that our four a la carte restaurants, 24 hour room service, our snack bar and nightly themed buffet could not meet your palate’s expectations based on your culinary experience at restaurants in New York and Washington DC. Our Executive Chef has been informed about your valuation about our value for money in terms of gastronomy.
Please feel free to contact us in case you decide to visit us once again.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Just returned from 12 days at the Iberostar Grand Bavaro...have stayed at other Grands before ..This is truly a top notch resort with a top notch staff. The food was exceptional. The facility was beautiful and well cared for. Special thanks to Jonathan and Carlos are Butlers they did a great job. Special thanks to Leitsha at the Lobby bar in the afternoon hours (not sure if name is spelled correctly) she is truly an asset. Sully, Oscar and Lorraine in the resturants went over and above the required amount of service necessary. The management had a nice cocktail party for returning guest of the Grand Collection and provided little gifts for halloween..these folks do not have to do this but its the little touches that is the difference between good service and great service. This is truly a top notch well run resort. Any request was granted immediately and pleasantly. Thanks again Iberostar for a fantastic vacation

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donna M

Dear guests,
First at all, we would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to write some comments about your experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro.
On behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, hotel Manager, we would like to express you how satisfied we are to read that your expectations about beautiful premises, exquisite international cuisine, and the friendliness of our staff based on your previous experiences at other Iberostar hotels were met and ensured you another memorable experience as we aim in Iberostar and as you are used to. Carlos, Jonathan, Sully, Oscar and Leticia have been communicated your motivating lines referring their excellent service.
We are looking forward to welcome you in any of our more than one hundred destinations worldwide and remain at your disposition for any further assistance.
With kindest regards,