Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Pool
10,682 results
All reviewssurf and turfboom boomstar friendskobe beeflobsterdinner reservationscigar barbutler serviceour honeymoonpool barother resortsspecialty restaurantslunch buffetbubble bathpina coladaall inclusive resortrose petals
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is the first all-inclusive that my boyfriend and I have been to and we had some very conflicting feelings about it.

Positives:
- The beach is absolutely amazing. We were able to get cabanas every day even though we got a late start.
- The pools were great. They were the perfect temperature and there was plenty of room to walk around and find different games (volleyball, ping pong, bingo, etc.). The towel attendants were super helpful when we asked if they might find us cabanas....and they had a suntan lotion station stocked with various SPFs every day!
- The staff was, in large part, great. Very nice and very happy.
- The tub and shower in the room were very roomy, had great water pressure (very important), and were super comfortable.
The entertainment- Although they mean well, the entertainment was not great. One of the screens onstage was broken by the end of the week and the other had a consistent stream of lines going up and down during all the performances. The Michael Jackson impersonator, although a fantastic dancer, was a TERRIBLE lip syncher. I don't understand why they would even have him lip synch if he doesn't know the words....just focus on the dancing! And another show that featured a slew of lovely dancers was entertaining, although many were out of step. All in all, though, it was nice to have a nightly choice of shows, it's just that they should probably work on them a bit more to be more polished.

Negatives
- Absolutely ZERO response before our trip when I asked if there was any transportation to the hotel from the airport and I asked what bed options there were because I had been sleeping terribly and was hoping to get two queen beds. I wrote them three times the week before we arrived and got no response. Unacceptable. When we arrived, they simply chalked that up as being someone else's fault, "It's a company we work with who deals with that." When we arrived in our room, we were given two double beds. I said that isn't what I asked for and they said it was, they got my e-mail. I said to them, "If you got my e-mail, then why didn't you respond to me at all?" No real answer. This was obviously disappointing. Our butler, who wanted to be very helpful but who wasn't given the tools to do so, showed us another room that was available with a king bed, but it was facing the other hotel and smelled of mildew. The smell was overwhelming, so we opted to stay in the room with the two double beds. We quickly figured out that the internet wasn't working. The butler called for another router. The internet was kind of working after that, but it was incredibly slow. At that point, we just wanted to unpack, so we just said it was fine for the moment. A day later, it stopped working and they gave us a THIRD router, which worked sporadically and when it did, it was very slow. This whole process illustrates the frustrating part of the resort, though. Although the employees are very nice and mostly very helpful, they aren't given the tools to be effective. The router was not the problem with the internet. The problem was likely that we didn't have internet in the room and they were actually giving us access to the lobby internet, which is why the signal was weak. However, the butler isn't a tech guy, so he could help us with the only thing he could get for us, which was another router.

- The food.
Yikes. The buffet was truly terrible....both of them. There is one by the pool and there is one that is near all the other restaurants. I got a lobster grilled in front of me during one of the lunches (which took 40 minutes because the chef forgot that I'd asked him for one) and it was both under and overcooked. My boyfriend and I love food and were really looking forward to getting some authentic Caribbean cuisine. None to be found, though, as they try to present lots of different types of cuisines at the buffet, but they are mostly inedible (too salty, not enough salt, too sour, too sugary, not prepared properly). They also scoff if you want something fresh. I asked a chef one time if I could have one of the lobsters cooked fresh and he just laughed and said no. I said (in Spanish), "But they're right here. Right in front of me. The ones on the table are old, is there a way I could have one of the new ones?" To which he nervously laughed and said no. Again......kind of unacceptable...? This is not a cheap place, so it was enormously irritating that the food was so bad at the buffet and that the staff didn't seem to want to help give us fresher food, instead encouraging us to eat what had been sitting there for hours. The theme restaurants were markedly better. The Japanese was fine, although the menu is unequivocally the MOST CONFUSING MENU EVER. Italian was mostly good, although the pasta was terrible. I liked the salmon at the French place and the onion soup was very delicious. The surf and turf has a great little filet mignon and the lobster was properly cooked. The wine, though, was mostly terrible. A few times I just let my wine sit there because it was so sour and I didn't want to ask for another one because I had already tried another one.

-The drinks
The drinks were, by far, the most disappointing. They're essentially diabetes in a cup. "Top shelf" liquor is at the bar, but they don't actually use it unless you specifically request it and even then, it's a crap shoot. (My boyfriend ordered a Grey Goose White Russian in the theater and they gave him something absolutely disgusting. He took it back to the bar and told them that he'd asked for Grey Goose and this was not Grey Goose. The bartender's reply: "You can tell the difference?") There were SO many times.....too many times....where I asked for something specific and they screwed it up. And every time they do, you feel like a jerk for being so "picky," but honestly, how do you screw up a Pineapple and Malibu?!?! I'll tell you how- you use pineapple SODA that tastes like medicine rather than pineapple juice and some other type of disgusting rum instead of Malibu. I know it sounds very complainy, but this is supposed to be a five star resort. I ended up not drinking at all for 5 of the 7 days of vacation because the drinks were so unbelievably awful. We had to specifically ask for the bartenders to give us pineapple juice on about ten occasions. Five of those occasions, we got juice. The other five, we had to ask them once again because they gave us that gross pineapple soda. I cannot express how frustrating it is after you pay over $4,000 for a vacation that you have to fight every day for something to drink that won't send you into a diabetic state. This is something that shouldn't happen at a five star resort. I think it's because the management team doesn't give the staff enough knowledge to do their jobs properly. I have a feeling they just say to give us the worst stuff they have and if someone specifically asks, then you can give them the good stuff, but only then. And even at that point, they only give it to you half the time!

-One last incident that left me absolutely fuming. It was our second day there and we went to the buffet in order to get seated. We were greeted by a hostess whom we had a short, pleasant conversation the night before. When we asked for a table, she came up to my boyfriend, touched his stomach and said to him, "How is your baby?" She called my boyfriend fat by telling him he looked pregnant. Where in the world is this behavior acceptable? Certainly not at a supposed 5 star resort. I still can't believe she had the audacity and lack of class to say that to a stranger let alone A HOTEL GUEST. It's insulting, mean-spirited and completely unacceptable.

Overall, we did have a good time, but there were so many negatives that we encountered every day that definitely dampened our spirits. I know this is a long review, but I would have appreciated seeing it before I spent all that money to go on vacation here.

Room Tip: Make sure not to get a room facing the other Iberostar resort.....
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
32  Thank margot90066
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear guest,
On behalf of the hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli, we thank you for having chosen Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro and for taking time to share your feedback with us and the online community. We truly regret to read that our varied gastronomy as well as several incidences when dealing with our team could not ensure you a pleasant stay as we aim in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. We extend our apologies for any and all inconveniences that you may have experienced during your holidays among us. We have forward the aforementioned comments to all relevant department heads as to ensure that service is up to Iberostar standards and take an objective approach to ascertain how best we can rectify those negative situations in our services. Once this is done, we will do our best not to have a reoccurrence of the situations mentioned.
We hope to give us the opportunity to provide the care and quality you deserve at a future visit. We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance you might need before your visit.
With kindest regards,

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from 22 November through 1 December 2012. It was our first visit to Punta Cana. The property is gorgeous and the service is first-rate. Our ocean-front room was in a perfect location and very comfortable. We loved the large bathroom, the soaking tub with an ocean view, and the rainwater-head shower. In the past we avoided all-inclusive resorts for fear that the food and dining atmosphere would not be very good, but the Iberostar Grand was very different. The buffet restaurant was excellent with a wide variety of choices and the outdoor dining area was lovely. The specialty restaurants weren't that great - the Japanese steakhouse severely oversalted and overcooked everything, which was a shame, given the nice portions of lobster and duck. The Italian restaurant was just average. We played golf four times on their lovely course, again with excellent staff. Take the zipline excursion, it's really worth it. One event was very disappointing, though. Around the 7th or 8th day a group of pool and spa salemen came in for what we assume was a corporate event. They took over the beautiful pool for two days, got very drunk, and blasted their iPod music all day long. The management did nothing to stop it. We couldn't use the pool or get near the bar because of them. It was like being in the middle of Animal House. Iberostar needs to clean this sort of thing up before it ruins the place.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room if possible. There are also very quiet rooms on the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank majordmz

Dear Guest,
On behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, Hotel Manager, we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your holidays and for taking time to post a review on Tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure for the whole to read that you had enjoyed a “wonderful” holiday at our hotel premises, according to your publication. In Iberostar we aim to ensure memorable experiences to our beloved guests.
On the other hand, we apologize for any and all inconveniences regarding the behavior of other guests. As you stated in the review, we aim to ensure an ambiance of calm and relaxing to our “adult only” costumers. Your comments referring this matter have been shared with our Management team and departmental heads to encourage the harmony and mutual respect between all our valuable “stars”.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again, please contact us before arrival to help you to enjoy your next vacations with us,
Kindest regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I have never written a review in the past, and this is the third visit to Punta Cana, we have stayed at the Excellence and at the Elegance Resorts and this one was by far the best. From the moment we arrived, to the day we left (sadly) the staff could not do enough for us, we were treated like royality and what amazed me the most is that they remembered our names even if they didn't see us for a few days, with all the people that come through its amazing.
Our room was beautiful, #7288 overlooking the ship and very close to everything. The food was excellent, all of the Gourmet Rest's were good except I thought the Japanese was way too salty. The Buffet for lunch was fantastic from Salad bar to choosing your own steaks and having the chef deliver to your table to grilled Lobster, and desserts.
The couple's massages were awesome, did that once at the beginning of the week and then the day before we left.
I'm really sorry I forget my Butler's name but he was so on top of things, our bartender's Lely,
Victor and Mr. M to the girls, Marguertia, Maria, Loraine were all so much fun to be around and really made our vacation special.
I cannot wait to go again next year.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor facing the ship
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 8Barb23
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Guests,
On the behalf of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, Hotel Manager, we thank you for having taken time to post a review about your stay and for choosing Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro for your third visit to Punta Cana.
It is a pleasure for us to read that you highlighted out the excellent service provided by our friendly staff and the beauty of our grounds. Iberostar aims to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved adult only guests. We are satisfied to read that we accomplished our goal during your visit with the help from Victor, Margarita, Maria, Loraine, Lely and your butler.
We are looking forward to see you again, we stay at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit,
Kindest regards,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

From the moment you walk into reception the quality shines through. Being British we do tend to pick fault but there is simply nothing you can fault. The butler service (Henry) was great saves alot of time and hassle, the swim up pool room was perfect, the beach and beach service was great...cocktails on the beach at 11am...perfect. The pool bar was a great place to drink and chat and meet some interesting people. The food was outstanding and such a great selection. The buffet restaurants were amazing with lobster, beef sirloin, various fish all freshly cooked with everything you need. All branded drinks. The surf and turf is the best restaurant porterhouse steak and lobster ( it was my birthday) with a bottle or two of wine. Fantastic night. All the themed restaurants were quality. But book when you arrive or you may miss out. The entertainment was ok but the whole experience is worth the extra. I will be going back as I have never experienced such high standards and friendly staff at a resort. The adults only is very good also. There are no negatives from my holiday....you are treated like royalty and you can relax and enjoy your holiday with nothing at all to worry about......except what drink your having next

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ncokey

Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for writing a review in Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro. In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Stefano Baratelli and his team, we want to thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacations.
We are pleased to hear that our varied gastronomy, our well stock bars, our beautiful premises and the excellent service of our friendly team ensured you a memorable stay as it is our main goal in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts. We have congratulated Henry, your butler, for contributing in the achievement of our goal during your visit.
We hope to welcome you back again; we will be glad to be contacted before your next visit.
With best regards,

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We--Ileana and Philip (Felipe)--stayed at this hotel for the third time in four years from 12/14 thru 12/24/12. We just love it! If you want a very relaxing vacation where you can do whatever you feel like whenever you want and have luxuries, then this is a great place to be.

Employees and Staff:

The employees at the hotel are wonderful. Everyone is very pleasant and friendly and they go out of their way to make sure you are pleased with your drinks and meals, and entertainment.

Leidy was great working in the pool area. She's now in the Lobby Bar, but we missed her this year around the pool.

The entertainment crew is fantastic, especially Margarita, Maria, and Yanna. We enjoyed our conversations with Yanna before show time! Ricardo was also a great guy to talk to in the lobby bar.

Ramona, Angela, Marisol, and Matilde are just wonderful people and they are all so good working in the lobby bar. Matilde's mojitos are the best, and Ramona and Angela's cosmos are great!

Nicole, who primarily sells cigars, is very pleasant. Hola chica!

The waitstaff at the Bella Vista buffet restaurant are all magnificent. Kudos to Nathaniel, Anel, Leandro, Elias, Yunior, and Virgilio.

Yeris, Carmen, and Smerlin are great hostesses at the lunch and specialty restaurants.

Albenis!!! You're awesome and we just love you!

Tomas and Dionis always did a great job bringing us drinks at the beach palapas. They work so hard and they're so nice.

Jose, the tennis pro, is a great guy. He takes great care of the tennis courts and works hard coordinating tennis activities.

Altagracia, you're magnificent. Thanks so much for spoiling us during our stay by bringing us(Felipe) special requests(crepas con nutella, churrascos y langostas) at the buffet restaurants.

Andruly and Luis are very good butlers. They're always there to assist you.

Hilario and Fernando are two of the fabulous cooks. During past stays, we remember seeing Hilario and Fernando at Bella Vista. Hilario and Fernando are great with the customers. We did not see them as much during this stay because they were working primarily in the back of the kitchen and not at their buffet stations.

Elvin takes pride in crafting specialty desserts at the buffet, they were wonderful!

Activities:

There is plenty of opportunity to play golf and tennis, which we like to do, or just spend days at the beach relaxing. The shows put on by the hotel were mostly good. I would like to see more live music. The singers are fantastic, especially Niurka, and Ricardo who has been there for quite a few years, great job.

Rooms and Amenities:

The rooms and amenities are terrific and quite luxurious. The cleaning staff do such a hard job so well, so they deserve special recognition.

In all, a great relaxing vacation. I wish we were back there now. It is very cold in Denver, Colorado. Burr!!

Philip and Ileana

Room Tip: Inside facing room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PebblesDenver

Dear Guests,
First at all, in the name of Mr. Stefano Baratelli, Hotel Manager, we thank you for your loyalty towards out hotel as your destination for your holidays, and for taking time to post a review about your third experience at Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro.
Thank you very much for highlighting out the excellent service provided by our friendly staff in the different areas of our premises. One of our guiding principles as an Iberostar hotel is to provide the best service to our beloved guests; and it is one of the keys to the success of our services and facilities. We have congratulated those staff members that you named in the review. I assure you that they are happy to have contributed in the happiness of your holiday.
We will be pleased to welcome you back again, please contact us as soon as you book your next visit.
With kindest regards,