“Great experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Medewi
Brown Sugar Surf Camp
“Great experience”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the surf camp for a week in July/August 2012. I also did got surf lessons twice a day. I started as a complete beginner so the beach directly in front of the camp was perfect- beachbreak with plenty of whitewater to practice on. However after a few days I felt I could have advanced to keep things interesting as I was often in the same place/same board size etc and it wasn't a challenge and I felt the surf guides (who instructed from the beach) could have changed things up a bit. They did have a great video service to analyse technique but my footage was from my first day out and there really wasn't much to see except a lot of falling.
Food at the camp was decent, nothing special but there was a nice BBQ one night (at extra cost).
Between morning and afternoon sessions were quiet- people hanging out, reading, music as a good chance to relax- but it's a pity the pool hadn't been finished because swimming in front of the camp isn't recommended because of currents and lack of supervision.
This camp is probably better for experienced surfers-who can take full advantage of the Medewi break.
Also- myself and a few others in the camp got sick towards the end of the week. It seemed like a stomach bug- either from surfing after heavy rain or the food, I never found out but 24hrs of being sick meant we left early..
Overall it was a great experience but could have been improved.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Woods0692
BrownSugarMGMT, General Manager at Brown Sugar Surf Camp, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear woods0609, thank you for taking your time to write a review about us, we appreciate your lines and we like to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Every saturday we invite our campguests to a free beach BBQ. If you order a fish BBQ on any other day for your own or for a group this comes as an extra thats true.

The pool is already finished and the first sessions for improving the duck dive are already held.
As all natural beaches we advise our guests to take special care if swimming in the ocean and to always have someone to watch from the beach as the tides and currents are always changing. Our surfguides are teaching also how to "read" the waves, use rips as a channel and avoid strong currents. As soon as your take off is firm and you are starting to catch green waves our surfguides are keen to take you to the famous Medewi left and other intermediate spots around to give you that extra challenge.

We are sorry to hear you get a so called bali belly on your last day of stay. If you are new in Bali this is likely to happen in the first 2 weeks due to the tropical climate, hot spices or it can also be from drinking too much seawater next to rivers after heavy rainfalls.
We are proud to announce that our restaurant has abondened the use of MSG in the fusion of western and asian dishes, both are made from fresh and natural ingredients.

Thank you again for your lines, it helps us to even improve our service to our international guests, surfers and not yet surfers.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Read the full review on our website: http://bit.ly/brown-sugar-surfcamp-medewi-review

To summarize this review of the Brown Sugar Surfcamp Medewi I would say that all in all the only surfcamp in Medewi wouldn't be that bad - if it was half the price.

The location is actually quite amazing. Beachfront with a working beachbreak in front of it. And without any other surfers on it. BUT the bungalows are small and very basic, showers are almost not working and the food is far away from good (in general). Therefore, US$20 instead of US$40 for a night (2 persons, no surfschool) in a double room and it would be a fair value for price. If you are just looking for accommodation in medewi, then there are better options to choose from, if you need wifi then you might need to stay at the Brown Sugar Surfcamp Medewi, since it is the only option in Medewi with WIFI, at the moment.
We found out later, that there actually is a decent option with wifi - I didn't find it in the web, tough. Ask around for Nukks Villa. It's a 10 minute bike drive away from the main break
How to get to the Brown Sugar Surfcamp Medewi

The only surfcamp in Medewi is not in front of the famous point break, but a 20min beach walk away. Just move in direction of the fisherboats, cross the small stream and walk until you see a building, actually the first building on the beach - this is Brown Sugar Surfcamp Medewi.

By car or motorbike you need to go back on the mainroad and turn left. Drive until you see the blue mosque on your right side. At the mosque turn left, in direction of the beach. There is even a small brown sign where Brown Sugar is written on it. When you get to the beach turn right until the first building - this is the Brown Sugar Surfcamp Medewi.

What are Brown Sugar's bungalows in Medewi like?

We stayed in three different types of accomodation in Medewi. But since this is a review, it's all about the Bungalows you get at the Brown Sugar Surfcamp.

If I had to compare the bungalows with similar small huts I stayed in, I probably had to compare them to the ones we got for US$10 in Kuta, Lombok I'd say the US$10 option would win by fair, unfortunately.

Well, the brown sugar bungalows were small, more or less just enough space for the bed (which was in both cases well sized, I would guess 160x200cm) and your luggage. The bungalows had 2 storeys, there was one flat per story. I think there was another option with A/C, but we didn't check that, since US$40 for the cheapest option was already quite a lot considering our tight budget.

The bathroom had a bamboo stick as a shower dispenser. Unfortunately, there was more or less no water coming out of it. The best shower in the camp was the outdoor shower at the beach, there you managed to actually get wet hair before the rest of your body was dry again.

Next to that some bungalow rooms smelled stuffy, others had mice as casual flatmates.

In the back of the camp was a new pool with a view out to the rice fields. There were a total of 3 deck chair to hang on next to the pool. To pool would be amazing but we could use it only for 1 of the 5 days we've been staying there. The water did have a strange color on that first day we were using it. I think that was one of the reasons they blocked access the following day and had 3 days to empty, clean and refill it again. They were still filling the pool when we left. But to be fair, the pool would have been great and would have added some value to the camp.

In the front of the beach is a good hangout area and as already mentioned, the only properly working shower. There are a couple of hammocks, a table and some shelters, that help creating enough shadow to sleep in the hammocks without getting sunburned.

Just behind this beachfront hangout area and on the other side of the pathway is another hangout area, having a couple of cosy sofas and a big table that seats at least 20 persons. I have to admit, this social area was good and did help to socialize with other people from the camp. Mostly swiss or germans.

More affordable options closer to the main surfbreak in Medewi (the point) include luxury flats at the "Medewi Beach Inn" for US$20 to US$25 (including a small breakfast), the "Medewi Beach Inn" offers cheaper rooms for US$10 as well. Easy to find, just follow the signs - well actually follow the painted surfboards.

Next to the kiosk, further down the road to the surfbreak are some shags for US$10 a night, as well.

How is the food at the surfcamp?

The included breakfast as well as the ready to order food for lunch and dinner haven't been that delightful - in general. There where some exceptions, tough. Like the kong sandwich or the soup.

The food portions were way to small for me. It rarely happened that I was well-fed after one plate of dinner. This isn't particularly bad in a warung (traditional, small restaurant) where you pay US$1 to US$2 for a portion of seafood mi goreng.

It isn't that great when the plates cost you US$6 or more, it starts to feel wrong when you start paying US12-20 for a full meal. And exactly that was the case at the surfcamp. Small portions, no flavour (since it's probably cooked to suit european camp clients) and quite expensive. Or in case of the in the accommodation included breakfast - just not enough to be satisfied after (or even before) surfing. Other surfcamps (Kima Surf Bali) have a huge all you can eat breakfast - the least a surfcamp should offer with such a price tag!

Brown Sugar Surfschool Medewi - worth it?

We didn't join the surf school, so it is hard to judge this one. But here is what we've heard from people within the camp:

Friendly and very good surfers - That's it about the surfteachers. But not trained nor proper surfteachers at all. I guess it is hard to find a good or well-educated surf teacher, everywhere in the world. It was the case in Imsouane, it is the case here. They may surf well, but this helps not a lot when trying to get others to know the basics of surf. So what we've heard is, that there is no theory, quite strange take off procedures and questionable teaching methods.

Staff at Brown Sugar Surfcamp Medewi:

Friendly and helpful staff might compensate for the high pricetag - might. It seems as if every local here in Bali (well besides Kutal maybe) is friendly, always gives you a smile back and speaks a decent english, too.

As for the surfguides, they are very nice, too. The camp owners should send them into a surf teaching class and I the service quality of the surfcamp would actually increase a lot. But well, they get the job done anyway.

Conclusion Brown Sugar Surfcamp Review

The surfcamp is definitely close to a great wave for intermediates, in front of an empty beachbreak and surrounded by countless other empty waves. Hard to find those spots nowadays in Bali. The camp couldn't be greater located than it is and should try to benefit from this opportunity. Unfortunately there are a few drawbacks that might hinder the experience of the surfcamp.

On one hand there are overpriced bungalows, tasteless food and (in our opinion) a stupid and out of context branding (Starts with the camp name and goes on with the url eatmoresurf.com) on the other hand there is the distance of the surfcamp to Kuta, the shopping and the touristic stuff Bali offers.

Since they can't change the location but can place it as an advantage to other camps due to the already mentioned reasons, the distance might be not a drawback but an opportunity.

Therefore they need to increase the service quality and teaching or the pricing.IF they adapt a little to their camp I think it could be a successful and amazing place to stay, eat and surf.

BUT as long as they don't change anything, I wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't even suggest it to friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank baguslife
BrownSugarMGMT, General Manager at Brown Sugar Surf Camp, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
TRIPA
Dear baguslife or Armin and Bea,

thank you for taking your time to write a review about us, we would like to take the chance and write also about our experience with you.
The first and unfortunately only thing we heard from you was demanding a discount as you intend to write about us. We denied this discount as in our opinion to write about a hotel/restaurant/surfcamp should be free and independently from any money involved. We understand now how you come up with this cheesy review. You are also writing about our surfcamp but you never took part in any! way: you not joined a surflesson, theory, take off practise, guided surflesson, videocoaching, photosession...
Because you insisted of having just the accommodation, which you thought would be the cheapest option for you. By the way it comes with daily breakfast (western or balinese), shared basic- (fancooled) or deluxe (AC cooled) doubleroom with private bathroom, wifi internet, beachfront, swimmingpool etc.
Once again we are a surfcamp with weekly packages as stated on our website and these packages include services like free airporttransfer plus return, 11 surflessons/guided sessions per week, videocoaching, surfmaterial, spottransfer, surfpictures, accommodation etc.
So if you just looking for cheap accommodation of course go to a hotel not a surfcamp. If you like to learn how to surf and or like to improve your surfskills to the next level than join our surfcamp.
During your 4 days stay with us we never heard any complaints from your side, not about shower, food (we buy our food at regional food markets and our restaurant with a fusion of western and indonesian dishes is free of msg. We have 4 balinese chefs and despite of you our guests love their cookingskills and healthy ingredients).

If you just asked one question instead of making your own unlucky theories about our pool, surf lessons, branding we could already clear your mind during your stay but you kept hiding behind your laptop and iPad in our restaurant for free internet and not even try to communicate with our team.

We work hard to match all expectations of our guests and we are keen if you choose our surfcamp instead of hotel in the future to fulfill even your widest expectations. Terima kasih and Thank you
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Before "Eat, Pray, Love" was a Bali not overrun by tourists, and it still exists in Medewi, a rural farm town with amazing waves for beginner, intermediate, and advanced surfers alike. Brown Sugar Surf Camp staff offer lessons for all levels, with an incredible eye for technique. The photos and videos enhance the coaching. And it's impossible to say enough about the surf pros. They're as talented as they are caring, looking after you and making sure you're as safe and comfortable at all times. (They're also some of the most fun-loving people I've ever met.)

The staff overall are extremely friendly and attentive, from the cleaners to the kitchen staff. (BTW the menu could not be better - vegetarian to normal diets, American to authentic Indonesian cuisine.) Finally, the excursion day is well-planned.

MATUR SUKSMA, Brown Sugar <3 I will be back soon :)

TIPS: Bring lots of mosquito repellent and be ready for basic hostel-style accommodations.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Emu Creek, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Finally we found a great place to stay the night. After some time trying to find a suitable place for us all to stay the night we found Brown Sugar. It was so welcoming, right on the beautiful surf beach. Black stoney, sandy beach with amazing views from point to point on the beach itself. Delightful resatarurant with traditional foods, for our kids and us adults, looking across the track to the beach, was calming and relaxing after a busy day. Small track into Brown sugar makes it a quiet place to stay. Early morning walk along the beach to nearby river mouth, after watching sun come up over the rice padi, what a way to start the day. Yummy breakfast of fresh fruit juice, nasi goreng, banana pancakes, coffee. Accommodation was great for all of us, including the kids for their first hotel experience. Love to come back again to visit our newly found friends ie. staff.

Room Tip: Robyn and I stayed in the twin share Villa with air-con, very comfortable and affordable. Lovely out...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Cheryl P
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

As an over 40 yr woman travelling on my own, I had a great time at Brown Sugar. I had never surfed however before I knew it I was actually standing up on my board, not very elegantly, but still standing. The accommodation is definitely not a 5 star resort however with the beach out front and the rice paddies surrounding the camp, to me it is better than. The rooms are very simple, I had no hot water and did not need it. The food was good and I thought it was reasonbly priced at between $2-4 (Aus). Maybe not as cheap as some of the warungs but where in a western country can I have a healthy filling meal for that price ? The staff are all very friendly and welcoming, the massage is fantastic (best massage I've ever had). I found exactly what I was looking for at Brown Sugar, a relaxing, peaceful, chilled out time learning to surf.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wendy B
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Hi Again,

I have written this once, but the page or net went down, so I am going to review this again. :)

So, my overall experience was really good, but if you decide to go here expect no luxury whatsoever. This is humble surf camp/hotel with decent people. There is nothing to do in Medevi only surf, that should be your first priority. But you can do (eat) a lots of surf. I did almost five! hours a day and it was amazing.

So where shall I begin?

The accommodation:

It is simple, with two beds, no cold water (you don't really need it anyway, because he water is hot enoght to wash your self, besides you are in the water all day). The rooms are clean, and they change your towel if you ask them. It is pretty basic, but you don't want to spend your time in a room while you are in surfing camp, do you? If you are going with your gf I highly recommend you to get the deluxe room with A/C and hot shower. I liked the whole thing after all.

The food

The food is nice, and fresh. That is the only thing you need. I have not gone out in the village and eat from there, but some did and they were satisfied. They do really delicious juices smoothies and juices.

The coaches:

These little dudes can surf that is for sizz. I took the one on one training, and I learnt a lot, if you nice to them and treat them with respect you can get much more out. The group sessions are good too according to other peeps in the village. However you definitely need a little bit of knowing of surfing, not a lot.

I think it was worth the money for me, but I am a very simple dude, and I try to enjoy every minute of life. I recommend you to go there if you want to have an active rest for a couple of days. Far way from civilization. I have not even touched my cell phone while I was there, and it came out life without facebook is still good. :)))

Anyway, if you are coming from you EU plan at least 10 days, because of the travel and jetleg. If you are coming form Ozz 8 days should do it.

If you need more info, contact me.

Namaste Brothers and Sisters.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Lorant8004
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Sleeping
The rooms have 2 beds with thick, comfortable mattresses and good mosquito nets in it. There is not much space for putting your baggage, only one small shelf. The bathroom is cold water only, a sink and a mirror and a western toilet. The rooms get cleaned daily, that means they make the bed and swipe the floor, but don't empty the bin in the bathroom or clean the toilet, which was a bit smeally.
If you want to read, bring a headlight, as the rooms are very dark and also the communal area has not good lights. At night, in can be quite noisy, as you hear whatever your nighbour upstairs is doing, or the cat is singing for hours.
People living in the villa told me there sometimes is no hot water, and the rooms are as small as the standard rooms.

Place
The whole place is designed in a very nice way, with flowers and decorations everywhere. The chill out area right at the beach has hammocks and benches to relax. The communal area has nice benches and tables, a dvd player and speakers where you can put your own sound.
The kitchen is great, they serve western and indonesian food, prices are about double as in local warungs. Breakfast is good and filling. You can buy a refillable bottle for 150'000 rupiah and get free water for the whole length of your stay (so you don't have to carry your drinking water into the camp and don't use so much plastic bottles).
The surfcamp is half an hour walk from medewi point (along the beach) where you can find some restaurants. You can rent a scooter at the camp if you don't want to walk.
There is not much to do at night, but as you anyway get up early it doesnt matter. Sometimes they make beach parties, you can participate or not, as you like.

Pick up and drop off: You have to be patient, as sometimes the traffic makes the journy from Medewi to Kuta take as long as 4 hours, when sometimes you can make it in 2 hours. For drop off, make sure where you want to be dropped before you leave the camp, otherwise the driver insists on letting you on the main street where you have to take a taxi to the airport. Once in a week there is a free shuttle to the neares city, be fast to put your name on list as only 7 people fit in the car. Then you have about one hour time to buy something, usually they are in a rush to get back to the camp.
Sunday trips are not included, and the price depends on how many people take part. The trips itself are quite nice, you get to see a lot of Bali.
And no, there is no skate park.

Surf Guiding
Usually, they take you to Medewi at around 6 in the morning, and again in the early afternoon. Because there is no other wave. In my 3-4 weeks stay, I only surfed Medewi, the wave just next to Medewi, and the beachbrake in front of the camp. If conditions are bad (too big or too small), there is no other place to go and it gets really boring.
The camp is good for first-time surfers as they have the nice beach just in front, or for more experienced surfers who can compete with the locals and many good australians in the medewi outside. For intermediates, it's only medewi inside which isn't that fun.
Be sure to bring booties, as there are sea urchins hiding in Medewis rocks, and bring your own wax, even if you rent a board you don't get the wax.
Rental boards are ok, but they had not enough when I was there, so insist on getting the right one for your skills, otherwise you get a far too big or way too short board. They also gave me a leash that was broken and mended again, making it very short so that I constantly had to worry about my board hitting me.
Guides are good surfers, but not good teachers, and their English isn't the best. If you want to improve, keep asking them for tips.
Medewi is crowdes, just as any wave in or near Kuta is. But the beachbrake was empty, which is no wonder, as it ist just a messy beachbrake as any other and people driving to Medewi want to surf the point.
In the afternoon you usually have a strong onshore wind blowing, but this is more or less normal for any place at the sea.

Overall, the Brownsugar surf camp is all right, as it is one of the cheapest camps in Bali. I wouldn't stay longer than 1 week, as it gets quite boring after a while always surfing the same spot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank sali33
BrownSugarMGMT, Manager at Brown Sugar Surf Camp, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear "N O",
thank you for taking your time to improve our service to our guests. Nice to hear that you liked our mattresses, we also provide high quality beds in the basicrooms one of which you booked. If you like to have hotwater shower or AC we suggest to book one of the deluxerooms which provide you with both services.
All rooms get cleaned on a daily basis which includes the dustbin and of course the toilet aswell. Thank you for the info about that, although we would appreciate it also while you staying with us to provide you straight with our daily services.
The deluxerooms are equipped with hotwater showers 24hrs I can assure you.
Great that you like our oceanview restaurant with its mixture of indonational food! Our kitchen is keen to please both tastebuds the wester as the asian one, how about the choice of 5 different pastanoodles.
We have daily transfers mon-sat to Medewi in our AC van which take 5min. if you like to walk its a 15-20min beachwalk.
The first surfsession depends on the tide and 6o´clock is the earliest we go, so the first session will be around 6-10am, not always 6. We have several Beach, Point and Semi-Reefbreaks around the camp and always decide on a daily manner which wave serves the skil of the group best. The Medewi Pointbreak is the most consistant wave and has two different section like you outlined, which handles up headhigh swell and is suitable for both intermediate and experts. If Medewi is not working we will also go to one of the many other spots around (Balian, Truckstop, Irons Left and Right etc.), depending on the waveconditions and of course the surfskills of the group.
Each guest who rent our surfmaterial is granted one bar of wax free of charge, we also have booties and wax on stock in the camp.
The skate park is on overhaul thats right and will be open for concretesurfing in 2013.
Thanks again for your contribution to serve our guests with even a better kind of service in the future.
The Brown Sugar Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medewi
Puri Dajuma Cottages
Sea Medewi Resort & Beach Club
Medewi Bay Retreat
Medewi Bay Retreat
#1 of 4 in Negara

Been to Brown Sugar Surf Camp? Share your experiences!