Location: 20 minutes by taxi from Ao Nang, on a quiet beach with a not-so quiet country road in between with ore trucks going in and out to the nearby ore pier. The beach is practically private, but could use some tlc; the beaches in this area have some litter and broken glass but only Sheraton seems to clean its beachfront daily. I'd recommend Sofitel to do the same. Village center, supermarkets and some very nice restaurants are a short walk away, some of them are reachable by the beach. Taxi stop is right by the beach, 20 meters from the hotel. Fare to Ao Nang is 400 baht, can be haggled down to 300. Krabi Town is 500-600 baht and about 35 minutes away.
Hotel: Reception area looks fantastic and check-in is very pleasant with with drinks and cold towels while lounging in the shade, no need to get up since you sign in with an ipad. The activity center in the lobby has boards with the daily activities and trips to the region with the hotel speed boats. We compared the pricing with tour operators in the area and our own travel agency and Sofitel is the one of the cheaper ones. And their boat is no longtail.
Room: We had a luxury room with a view to the spa and could see some sea as well. The bathroom was big enough with a tub and a separate shower area. No complaints there, 2 people fit in nicely and there was enough complimentary cosmetics to keep my sunburns moistened. The minibar was expensive (as they always are) and closet space limited (but at 38C wardrobe options are limited anyways). Fresh ice and fruit was delivered to the room every night (very nice). And yes, the wifi should be free, it's 2012.
Grounds: The pool is great. Really. And huge. A bar in the middle and a separate jacuzzi area, infinity pool, kids pool, water polo, bridge with a water fall, sun bathing seats with bubble ports... it's great. We got great service by the pool, a couple of Singhas do wonders in the afternoon heat. Food is expensive but good if you decide to eat by the pool. There are hammocks in the garden, but in the sun so not for my pale face, great to watch the sun set tho.
Activities: The gym is very small and not heavy enough for the serious lifter. But the equipment is good quality (Leoko) and everything works. Sadly I didnt have the time for the complimentary thai boxing lessons. The staff at the gym was very helpful.
Staff was very helpful in the activity center also; it was very easy to book trips and things to do even with the slight language barrier. The Hong Island trip is a must, a short and comfy ride to the island paradise, we took the total package 1600 baht each with food, snorkels, kajacks and beach towels. Snorkeling was so much fun but the best was the trip to the lagoon, the place was absolutely beatiful, we stopped at a nearby secluded beach and found a cave with stalagmites and a meter-long lizard, I felt like a little kid.
We also took the bike tour to the nearby mountain for 700 baht each. The bikes were pretty banged up and could use some maintenance to say the least. But the trekking to the mountain was an unforgettable experience. The rainforest was full of sounds and smells and plants and streams and our guide Mr. Big kept sure we dont pass out (it was 38c in the shade mind you) by supplying us with bottled water every 10 minutes. The view from the peak was breath taking ( not that we had too much breath left).
Food: The breakfast is awesome, you can eat yourself senseless and find something new every morning. Could use some more thaifood tho. Eat outside, there was a funky smell indoors the first couple of days.
We only ate twice at the hotel restaurants, once by the pool and once in the White Lotus. Pool bar was okay but a bit pricy, but the Lotus was very expensive, food a bit bland and the service was just bad. I had to ask 3 times for my drink and when it finally came, I was already finished with the main course. We didn't see the point of an italian restaurant in our thai hotel so nothing to report on that.
There are nice and way cheaper restaurants towards the village, the closest 600 meters down the beach with a superb view.
Service: the staff was incredibly nice and helpful and wanted to chat about where we were from and how they lived and our plans and their plans... we felt very welcome from the moment we stepped from the bus.
Area: Ao Nang has had some nasty headlines lately but we felt safe everywhere we went, day and night. Ao Nang is a typical tourist town but the outskirts are "farang-free" and it is possible to get a glimpse of normal thai living on the taxi drives.
You can easily book trips all over the bay area from Ao Nang and we took a few longtail trips to the legendary Railay beach, better go see it quick before it's developed into oblivion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort is renowned for its timeless elegance, luxurious rooms and suites, gourmet restaurants, outstanding facilities, and gracious Thai hospitality. Set in a lush tropical garden and just a few steps from the beach and Andaman Sea, the resort features a 7,000 sq.M. Lagoon-style pool, the largest swimming pool in Thailand. Guests can enjoy four restaurants serving Thai and international cuisines, a fully equipped fitness centre complete with steam room and sauna, So SPA with L'Occitane offering an extensive menu of rejuvenating spa treatments, and a Kid's Club. There is also an exclusive 9-hole golf course, and conference and meeting facilities and a unique 1,000 sq.M. Air-conditioned marquee for up to 950 persons. Designed to enhance the stay of every guest, our signature Leisure Butler service includes a VIP check-in and a personal assistant to arrange an unforgettable marriage proposal or special romantic moment, private dinner parties and celebrations, personalised excursions to nearby islands, and much more. Escape to Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort for a romantic getaway, a family holiday, a magnifique wedding, meeting or event in tropical paradise. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Expedia, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Golf Hotel Nong Thale
- Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Golf And Spa Resort
- Sofitel Krabi Phokeethra Golf & Spa Resort Thailand
- Sofitel Phokeethra Krabi Hotel
- Krabi Sofitel