“Krabis’ wondrous hideaway”

Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed October 18, 2010

From the moment you enter this property you feel enchanted, and welcomed into a wondrous destination. Wonderfully located at the edge of Krabis most spectacular beach, a world away from the dejas-vu of Thailand’s congested tourist hot spots; Phulay Bay provides a graceful combination of nature and culture. The first of its kind in Krabi, it has a fantastic restaurant and an indulgent spa with incredible sunset bar. The villas are awesomely decorated and contain all the warmth, excellence and elegance you'd expect from a R-C resort: essential-oil-scented rooms, cathedral style grandiose bathrooms, double king size beds, breathtaking views. The beach bar, pricey by Thai standards, but an absolute delight, with phenomenal drinks, great salads and astounding views

Room to book Royal Beach Villa, with infinity plunge pools

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LifeStyle-Guru

Reviewed October 3, 2010

Phulay Bay is a treat for the senses. The second you enter the compounds of the resort, you are welcomed by a quite a spectacular visual feast. From the rich unusual colors to the unique blend of architecture borrowed from various corners of the world, the resort is truly a welcome addition to the region. Without waxing lyrical over the exact same points as many others have, I shall merely summarise the highlights of my four days there:
a. The resort pavillion 'room' - for those of you who will be visiting soon & have booked this room, do not fret that this may be a poorer cousin to the rest. I was fortunate enough to be shown all the rooms (since this month is a less busy season). And frankly, other than the royal villas which are truly outstanding, the resort pavillion is a wonderful, wonderful space. You WILL be impressed with the 3meter bed, the exquisite outdoor bath (flanked by palm trees, which have been arranged for your viewing pleasure, while you soak) and the sheer beauty of the verdant landscape just outside your colossal doors.
b. The impeccable service - I had the pleasure of having Tanya (whom someone else has already mentioned, I believe) as a butler-ess. She is quite possibly the most obliging service staff on earth! Overall, everyone was excellent.
c. The food - We sampled all the menus from all 3 dining venues, as well as room service which we ordered on the first night of the stay as it was storming. Everything we ordered was flavorful & we look forward to being able to try the international restaurant's (Jampoon) menu in the near future as it is currently being refurbished. Also, we were impressed by the breakfast spread. All too often a good hotel fails to deliver on the breakfast end. Fortunately, this is not the case here. The fact that they have a good pastry chef is obvious when you take a bite of the croissant and pain au chocolat on offer. In spite of the humidity (which usually destroys otherwise decent pastry), it is still a pleasure.
Three very good reasons to stay here, wouldn't you agree?

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the resort for 4 nights in August 2010 and we were a little disappointed despite the room upgrade and excellent service. We were upgraded from beach villa No. 9 to reserve villa because the curtain rail in the bathroom fell on my head on the second night. Whilst we appreciated the prompt apology from the hotel manager, we did not expect poor craftsmanship from a first-class resort. Anyway, to list the pro and cons:

Pros:

1. EXCELLENT SERVICE - our butler, Khun Tanya, was helpful and informative. Other staff were also super friendly and considerate and we thoroughly enjoyed their company;
2. GREAT SWIMMING POOL - the pool was huge and relatively empty considering it's the low season. We almost had the pool to ourselves; and
3. GOOD FOOD AT THE SWIM-UP BAR - funny enough, we prefer the food (such as the wagyu burger) at the swim-up bar to the Thai restaurant. Food at the latter was expensive but was of mediocre quality only.

CONS:

1. Mosquitoes everywhere;
2. Have to pay to get to decent beaches (and even then, Paradise Island was horrible as it was full of rubbish!);
3. The pool inside the villa was not maintained. Apparently, they do not bother during the wet season so the pool looked dirty and it was a pity that we couldn't enjoy it; and
4. For the amount one pays, the quality of massage is poor.

Finally, on Krabi, it is still rather primitive and the beaches aren't that nice (except Hong Island). All in all, despite the service, I'd rather go somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2010

As an amanjunkies, i would like to call out the aman people to pay attention to THE RESERVE in Phulay Bay. I believe the reserve is Ritz Carlton best weapon to fight against the Aman. So be careful.

Just came back from the reserve after a 3 days stay in there in the resort pavillion. My kids love the place and thank god it is so quite day and night that we actually have the whole place for ourselves. Our butler Khun YID is doing such a good job to take care of our 2 kids so that me and my wife could have a private and intimate moment together. The room is so big that we have problems to get used to it. The outdoor bath is such a plus, the four of us are taking bath together and have a wonderfull time. The sala area is my favourite since i could relax and read my book while enjoying the green landscape.

The elephant show at the sunset bar before sun set is worth the 2 more days we decided to extand. The kids love it so much and even the adults love the baby elephant and feed then with banana. The Thai restaurant is perfect. The only complaint is the menu do have limitted choices but the Tong Yong Gong is delicious. We specially request for the lobster koay tiow lard na which the chef tailor made for us with pan fried koay tiow. Yummy. Oh dont forget to try the Phulay Pizza, it is my kids favoraite.

My only complait is that they put me in the resort pavillion that is close to the main road and at night it do have some traffic noice. We promise to come back again and this time we would like to try the beach villa where the only noice would be the wave.

I do recommend The Ritz Carlton Reserve Phulay Bay for those couple with kids since the whole family could be well taken care off. We love the place.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2010

The hotel is seluded, beautiful and just amazing! We were upgraded to the beach villa and enjoyed the privacy, the outdoor bath and the jacuzzi a lot! Before our arrival, I read the website carefully and was very impressed with the modern decor of the resort, reserve and royal beach villas. After our tour, I decided to ask for a "downgrade" to one night resort villa so that we could enjoy a 3m long bed, indoor bath and outdoor bath!! The feeling is very different from the beach villa. I love the resort villa more whereas my boyfriend really enjoyed the beach villa with the full seaview.

The staff was very friendly, creative and accomodating! When we first arrived, our personal butler introduced himself and congradulated us for our 3 years. He even decorated the bath romantically for our first night. Hotel management and the bulters were well-communicated.

This is certainly the best hotel we have stayed in!! The only thing we wished Phulay Bay has is its own beautiful beach. The current one is rocky!

Reviewed August 14, 2010

We spent the most incredible time at this place - had genuine feeling that they tried everything to make our trip as pleasureable as possible. Can't wait to go back, a truelly exceptional hotel.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Ok...So the weather was terrible...the rain was pouring for half of our stay (we stayed there 3 day/ 2 nights) but that doesnt stop this from becoming one of the best trips in my life - I love it so much that I just have to write this review!

From the moment you step down the Krabi airport till the moment you leave, everything was perfect. I have stayed in many luxurious hotels in my life (PImalai, Sri Panwa, Mandarin Oriental, etc) but this is just the best hotel in Thailand!!

We arrived the hotel at 10am and the room was ready so we didnt have to wait for check-in time like we had expected. We also got upgraded to Reserve Villa which is spacious and beautiful. The bed was amazing - 3-meter long! The room amenities are of top qualities- they even provide you with crocs to walk on the beach!! We also have or own personal butler who helped us with everything from arranging car-rental, a trip to the islands and room service.

The resort itself is heaven - very secluded and very beautiful. The pool is the biggest I have ever seen! The scenery is like the picture you see from the magazine. The service is flawless. The breakfast was delicious (especially the pastry - very rare to to find good ones in Thailand). Fitness and Spa were also top-notch.

I just cannot praise this hotel enough. You just have to come experience it yourself. If I tell you all, I will just ruin all the surprises!!

• Stayed: July 2010
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 13 in Railay Beach
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!