“Perfect holiday”

Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We have just returned from 11 nights at Phulay Bay, and all I can say is....wow!
From the moment we were greeted by out butler, Tanya, and the operations manager Carlos at the welcoming pavilion, with cool drinks and cold towels, and a hand garland of orchids we knew we were in for a special holiday. No waiting to check in, no waiting for our room to be ready, even though we arrived at 10am, every thing was sorted.
We were upgraded to a beach villa, which was lovely, traditionally but elegantly furnished, which it's own garden, plunge pool and outside bath. Tanya was fantastic, always on hand for advice, and booking of trips, a lift to the gym, or just to say hi around the pool, not at all intrusive but ever present if we needed her.
Because we had done some research before we left, we knew the hotel was a little away from the main resort, so we paid for half board, which was a great idea, as the food, as to be expected at a ritz resort wasn't cheap, we found the food to be of an excellent standard, although we only ate at the thai restaurant, as it was so lovely there!
The service at this hotel is quite amazing, the staff are truly the best I have ever experienced, you could not lift a finger without a member of staff there to help you, including on the trip to hong island, where they send a member of staff with you to help with putting your towels out and supplying you with cold drinks! All members of staff need to be congratulated on their level of professionalism, but combined with a real warmth and genuine want to make your holiday memorable.
The beach is lacking, but could honestly say I didn't miss it, lots of the villas have their own pools, the main pool is amazing, the beach that is there is beautifully maintained, and a 5 min kayak paddle (free of charge) is a lovely beach, which we went to on a couple of occasions.
There is also a beautiful ESPA spa, where we had a 50 min couples thai massage, a totally amazing experience, followed by a sauna, steam and jacuzzi pool, so relaxing.
If you are after a holiday of total relaxation, in a beautiful setting, being waited on by attentive, wonderful people, I would highly recommend this hotel, it's in a class on its own.

Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed February 25, 2014

My husband treated us to a week here, what a glorious place it is. We went in the off season so fortunately there was no screaming kids. Enjoyed many treatments in the Spa including a raw food lunch which was delicious.

The suite we had was amazing, large and the biggest bed I have ever slept in. Loved coming back to the room each night to have towels wrapped as animals, an unusual drink as a treat and toothpaste already waiting on our tooth brushes. That is the level of luxury I love.

This hotel introduced my husband to lychee martinis. The only place I have ever come across in my global travels where it was made from fresh lychees, amazing.

Swimming pool is great, especially with your treat box of water and coconut milk etc. unfortunately there is no beach but you can head out for the day to an island. This place is the best I have ever stayed at for luxury, peace and quiet and for being pampered. Love it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Well I've read some of the snooty neg comments re this hotel. I can absolutely say my wife and I had a fabulous time here. We had an upgrade to a beach villa...beautiful and well appointed. We enjoyed the food but didn't eat there every night as the pennys were disappearing too quickly. Anyway we hired a moped for 6 pound a day and explored the local area. Found some great places to eat and drink.........Back to the hotel ...Yid, our butler, was fantastic , couldnt do enough but was not over bearing....Miguel around the poor was great...Ana, the manager didnt hide away and was always visible to the guests......There was a problem with the lack of sun umbrellas---not enough basically....seems to be ongoing due to delivery problems.....The ESPA is out of this world. The beach is not what you might imagine, but we found a few secluded coves that were fine. Loved it !!!!! If you dont want to be isolated use the hotel limo and driver ( at a cost) or do what we did ...go for the motorcycle option Great fun.......

Room Tip: All looked good to me..
1  Thank Simon W
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is what I call luxury!!

PROS
- The most amazing bed (king and a half), pillows and bedding I have ever slept on my life
- Beautiful grounds and pool, everything is SO CLEAN
- Massive villa pool (Royal Villa) massive soaker tub, multiple showers (inside, outside). I have never soon a bathroom so large with so many multiple rooms.
- Great food, had the best dinner in Thailand at their Thai restaurant.
- SERVICE and STAFF- where to start. You are personally greeted by the hotel manager and taken to your room. No counter, no line. Each room is assigned a Personal Butler. No request is too crazy, My boyfriend took me there for my birthday and our butler stayed late making paper hearts to string over the bed that said "Happy Birthday" I mean come on! Then after dinner I was taken to the beach to light a paper lantern that had a custom message written on it by the staff. I didn't even know such custom service could exist.
- Beautiful sunsets from the sunset bar

CONS:
- Not much of a beach, very rocky, if you are looking for a full beach holiday I would not stay here based on the price
- Oil/industrial site that can be seen from the grounds
- Based on the location you are pretty much confined to the resort, but then again once you are there you won't want to leave

Overall I would recommend this resort for anyone who is looking for luxurious getaway in thailand but at a steep price.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2014

PROS:
ROOMS - they were AMAZING. To even call them rooms is a misnomer - they are unbelievably luxorious suites. Soaking tubs (even outside!), walk-in rain showers, big closets, outdoor lounge space, and lovely decor. The best part of the rooms though is the BED - my husband is 6'5" and the bed was at least another 5 or 6 feet longer than him when he was laying down with his arms stretched over his head.

POOL - it was fantastic. Lovely infinity pool surrounded by canopied beds to lounge in. There's a swim-up bar and a fantastic view. Bathrooms nearby. Each day you get a complimentary young coconut - unreal.

SUNSET BAR - a really lovely place to relax and watch the sunset. They do a happy hour there every day and the view is truly beautiful. Drinks and apps are available and are delicious all around. They even make mocktails for non-drinkers!

SERVICE - During your stay you will have your own personal "butler" who is there to assist you with any/all of your needs. I can't say enough about the lovely woman we were lucky to be paired with, Khun Tanya. She was fantastic - kind, accommodating, helpful, punctual and very sweet. I must say - my husband and I still talk about how we miss her!

OTHERS - Complimentary daily long boat service to nearby Hong Island (gorgeous, and beautiful beach), the lemongrass bugspray provided in your room smells amazing, and they also have these great crock-like shoes for you to wear around the resort. Also - the breakfast buffet is really awesome - tons of fresh (local) fruit, pastries, fresh juices, and really anything else you could possibly imagine! Lots of great stuff!

CONS:
BEACH - This was my biggest complaint. There essentially isn't a sandy beach at the resort. You are able to take a kayak over to a nearby beach (super easy) but we were quite disappointed not to have a proper beach at the resort. There is a small beach but it's quite rocky and not really worth trying to sunbathe at. They are lucky the pool is amazing!

THAI FOOD - The Thai food there has definitely been adulterated by the upscale Western demographic to which the hotel caters. Simple Thai staples like pad thai and som tum are dumbed-down in flavor and flagrantly overpriced (I realize it IS the Ritz and all, but it's hard to justify paying that much when you can get AMAZING food on the street for 40 baht). Either way - you can't beat street food!

Disclaimer - we traveled there in December 2012, but were unable to select that as a date in submitting this post.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was the 3rd of 3 different beach resorts where we stayed in Southern Thailand and was certainly our favourite!!

Location: Although further away from the towns of Krabi and Ao Nang, you don't really want to go anywhere once you are here. The grounds at this resort are absolutely stunning. When you first walk in and see the beautiful welcome pavilion you realize you are not staying at any ordinary resort. The resort only has ~50 suites and villas, so maximum occupancy is less than 200 people. This gives you the privacy and intimacy you simply can't find at other resorts - we loved it. There isn't a beach in front of the hotel, but this was not a concern for us as the pool is spectacular and the view just as memorable. Sunsets were picturesque and the sunset bar was always a treat after a hard-day of laying by the pool :) The cocktails were exceptional and worth noting.

Room: We stayed in a Reserve Pool Villa. Words can hardly express our amazement with this suite. Indoor bathtub, outdoor bathtub, private plunge pool, double king bed (seriously, this was a massive bed), and all of the finer details that go along with the Ritz brand. We were left wanting nothing more from our room. Again, the perfect capstone to our honeymoon.

Service: The best service that we had - period. Our Butler (Tee) was at our service it seemed like any time day or night! He would take us anywhere we needed to go on the resort, give us helpful advise on what to do, arrange reservations at the spa or restaurants, and a dozen other things. We really loved spending time with Tee, and would consider him a friend. A special mention is also due to Miguel and the pool staff, they were excellent.

Spa: We booked the three hour couples package and it was amazing. We specifically held off doing other spa treatments during our trip in order to "Go Big" at the Ritz, and it was absolutely worth it. We felt completely relaxed and almost didn't want to leave after three hours. The design of the spa is also completely unique- unlike anything we have seen, based on the way they mix in outdoor and indoor natural elements.

Dining: we had all of our meals at the resort because we had already visited nearby Ao Nang earlier in our trip. All of the restaurants were superb. We will focus on the private beach front dinner though, since that was definitely a highlight. The staff could not have been more accommodating and friendly. We showed up about an hour early by mistake, but they still managed to get organized and begin dinner for us almost immediately. The food was incredibly fresh and full of flavor. The massaman Thai curry was a favourite of ours, and the chef offered to email us the recipe when he heard about how much we loved it. The seafood platter that came with our beach dinner was also fantastic. Coming back the service, we really had fun with the wait-staff on the beach, and at the end of the night they brought us a fire lantern with our dogs name on it which was just so adorable, not to mention above & beyond expectations. Last thing to note, make sure to try the burger at the pool bar - its definitely worth it.

Hopefully that gives you a sense of just how much we enjoyed Phulay Bay. It truly was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that we will cherish for years to come.

Room Tip: In our opinion, it seemed like the Reserve Pool Villa seemed to have more privacy than some of the R...
Reviewed February 16, 2014

First off the cons: Lacks a decent beach, semi nice view from room compared to other hotels in Thailand.

Pros: Amazing service, ambience, unparalleled staff, amazing food, drinks, sunset bar, etc.

All in all this place is wonderful and very relaxing. It's important to note though that we stayed in the royal villa for only one night on our way somewhere else. If you're going to do it. Get the villa. It's extremely relaxing and peaceful. The butler went above and beyond and even made custom decorations and a special cake for my girlfriends birthday. If service is important to you I doubt you will find anything in Thailand to compare to this hotel. Given the fact it doesn't have a nice beach and isn't up in the hills with a beautiful view like some hotels we stayed at, I would unlikely go here for a week. But that is personal preference.

If you are looking for a very relaxing place to chill out for a while and get pampered just doing nothing and not having to deal with the regular headaches of Thailand.
Then this is the place.

All around the staff are wonderful as well. Carlos and all the others add an extra special touch to this place and make it even more enjoyable an experience.

Room Tip: Royal villa all the way!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nong Thale
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 12 in Railay Beach
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!