“AMAZING room ,good food, let down by shoddy pool service.”

Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We chose to go to Phulay bay as part of our honeymoon package for 5 days of rest and relaxation over Christmas before heading off to Bangkok. Overall our impression of Phulay Bay has been a positive one however a few things (specifically the pool service and equipment were disappointing and 100% sub standard)

On our arrival we were met by the hotel manager which was a nice touch, Carlos seemed to be everywhere and always chatting with guests which was good. We were taken to our room (ocean reserve Vila) by our butler and check in was quick and easy. The rooms at this place are magnificent, the bathrooms amazing and bath tub like a private pool.....my wife was v happy here...not to mention the bed and the duvet etc all were above expectations, the balcony and terrace were great and had stunning views and a table if you ordered room service and a day bed for just lounging around on. The TV and sound system were excellent. In all I cannot rave enough about the quality of the rooms, you actually could just hang out in it all week if you wanted to.

The resort feels quite new with some lovely architecture and I understand was actually featured in the film the hangover 2. We found the staff excellent and our butler beek was so kind and friendly, I don't think we used him enough as I saw most guests getting ferried about in their golf buggies but after meals I quite enjoyed the stroll up the slight hill to my room to stretch put a bit. Breakfast were excellent, the evening meals lovely and the beach bar offering 2 4 1 cocktails every night superb.

My only negative comment about this place comes from my experiences at the pool. Overall I believe this is probably due to a poor manager or something like that as everything else is superb. I know I am being picky here but for the cost of this place per night I feel I am entitled to. There was no evidence the pool area was swept every day and there we're leaves all over the decking and in the pool, the pool tenders weren't particularly attentive and I often had to get my own towels, ask for the free water, when people left for the day towels were left scattered on loungers and plates, drinks and rubbish were left out, as we walked home after dinner one night it looked half closed half open, lights left on and disco music on, a punctured yellow inflatable air bed remained in the pool for the duration of our stay and the furniture was good but starting to show it's age, stained beds, ripped mattresses etc - all this combined gave an overall impression of poor management backed up by the only bit of poor service we found throughout our 2 week honeymoon. my biggest grumble about the pool came on our penultimate day, as the resort got busier pre Xmas there were not enough loungers which meant I had to go to the "beach" and enjoy a panoramic view of a container ship unloading. I expected more based on the price I was paying and don't feel it is an unrealistic expectation to want a lounger by the pool. All in all a great resort significantly let down by one key aspect for winter sun holiday - I would advise Carlos to look into this area of his resort management quickly before anymore reviews like this creep in...

I would come back but and recommend this place to friends as I'm sure the pool could be sorted out really easily. Everything else works so I fail to see why this should be the anomaly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 23, 2013

The hotel feels like a maze; built to impress and to give the illusion of being in a ultra modern middle eastern palace in a futuristic movie. if you are looking to be at one with nature, this is not the place. Potential guests beware: there is no access to a direct beach. You will have to take a 25 min boat ride to hong island that departs at 930 am on a daily basis, and hang with all the others tourists that are day tripping there. With the low tide, there are lots of rocks exposed and you need to look pretty far out to get that "krabi island" view. They should make it clear there is no direct beach access. But i suppose this may not matter to the well heeled clientele that are constantly on their cell phone.

To be fair, the service is very good, rooms are new and well maintained but you need to embrace the high purple walls, steep slopes and over manicured gardens. Facilities for kids are very good with a playroom and a nice gym for the parents.

After a short stay, we moved over to Tubkaak which is the polar opposite of this resort. More expensive there but the crowd was much more down to earth, and they have an actual beach!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank A B
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This would have to be the most amazing resort I have ever stayed at so far on my travels. It is definately my idea of heaven on earth and it has raised the bar for me! It's going to be hard to beat. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave (which was so hard to do) you are treated like royalty, but there is no feeling of it being pretentious or pompous. The feeling you have at this resort is really relaxed, tranquil and serene. You don't need to get all dressed up and be all fancy shmancy at this resort which is what I loved about it.

We stayed in a Pool Villa, the room was beautiful, airy, well laid out with an indoor and outdoor bath as well as a private swimming pool and outdoor daybed. Although what it lacked were deck chairs by the private pool so there wasn't really anywhere to lie out in the sun. The 4 meter long bed in the room was like sleeping on a cloud. It's the most comfortable sleep I have had in a very long time, maybe ever. The bathroom was huge and a pleasure to spend time in. A girl loves a nice bathroom. Everything has been thought of. The rain shower was great and the his and hers sinks shaped like shells were a great touch. I would describe the villa as feeling like I was living in a Moroccan temple as it has a lot of Moroccan touches. I loved the big doors between the room and the bathroom.

Now to my ultimate favourite part of this resort.....the infinity swimming pool. WOW was the first thought that entered my mind when I saw it. The pool is huge and has the most beautiful tranquil view of the ocean and the limestone cliffs scattered around the sea. Every once in a while a long tail boat passes by and you really feel like you have died and gone to heaven. There are plenty of sun loungers and day beds around the pool and great big umbrellas to keep you out of the sun. Next to each sunlounger are eskys filled with ice and bottled water which the lovely pool boys refill for you all day. I probably spent 90% of my time at the infinity pool as I couldn't keep away from it. The longer I stayed there the longer I wanted to stay. I didn't want the sun to go down. Some days we had the whole pool to ourselves, I don't know where everyone else was. The staff around the pool were very friendly and attentive and the food and cocktails were fantastic. There is no real beach at this resort but the pool more than makes up for the lack of beach.

Speaking of food, I loved every bite. Everything I tried was delicious. The breakfast was beautiful, I love that its part buffet and part al a carte, it was hard to choose what to have as all the choices were so tempting. I tried something different everyday. For dinner the food was delicious and the room service was also great. No complaints from me. It isn't cheap for Thai standards but if you're staying at a resort of this standard and price range you don't expect it to be cheap.

The location of this resort is very secluded, you are not walking distance to anything, not even a convenience store so if you want snacks that aren't provided in the minibar then think ahead and buy some on your way there or when you're out. They do provide a free minibar which is restocked each day with drinks but there is nowhere at the resort to buy chocolates or snacks etc so maybe they should stock some in their gift shop. It's about a 20min drive to Ao Nang which is where you find all the action of Krabi. If you feel like getting out of the tranquility of the resort you can go into Ao Nang for some shopping, cheap foot massages and lots of restaurants to choose from.

On a whole, I LOVED my stay at the Ritz Carlton. Thank you to all the staff for making my holiday so memorable. I can't stop thinking about it, whenever the weather it not so nice at home i close my eyes and remember my time there and feel so much better. I will DEFINATELY return one day as I have to experience it again. That's a must.

Room Tip: The Pool Villas are beautiful and if you are the type of person that needs a private pool then it...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LoveToTravel195
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Undoubtedly the best Ritz Carlton we have ever stayed in and definitely up there as one of the best hotels.
This place only has a small number of rooms and a very personalized service, Our children had a great time (they tailor the kids activities to suit you).
The apartments are spacious, the outdoor bath is fun and the butler service great, always with a smile and nothing too much trouble.
Food in the resort is expensive, but given the luxurious settling and the quiet laidback atmosphere it is worth every penny.
Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Phulay Bay in November. My boyfriend actually won three nights here and enjoyed the luxury. The rooms are magnificent and the service is fantastic.
Great for honeymooners or anniversaries.

We loved the room with the two baths (indoor and outdoor) and we loved the shower which is two in one so you can shower together.
The toilet isn't very private with clear glass doors surrounding it but if you're with your partner it doesn't matter.

We loved the sunset bar and walking around the resort. Our butler, Sabai was amazing and very helpful.

After three days we found it all a bit much and I don't actually miss it as it was such a full on experience.

I would stay again but only on very special occasions! Definitely something to experience!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Designed to dazzle, the architecture at this resort takes your breath away from the moment you arrive. We arrived on a private boat transfer from another resort, Paradise resort on Koh Yao Noi, booked with our travel agent Andaman Adventures, with whom we also booked all of the 4 resorts we stayed at on our custom-designed island hop through the region, getting good prices everywhere (we got a free night at the Phulay Bay and, though the nightly rate was higher than the rate on agoda, after we factored in the free night the price we got ended up quite a bit lower than agoda’s). As soon as you arrive at this resort the stunning entrance pagoda signifies that this hotel is going to demolish your expectations. The rooms are amazing (huge beds, opulence all around, really more than 5 star luxury, I’d give it 6 stars). Other highlights (a) beautiful infinity pool (b) sea view (c) a 24 hour butler (d) nearby Tubkaek beach is a good one, though the resort does not have a great beach frontage (e) fab restaurants – we have a veggie family member which caused problems elsewhere, but not here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed 4nights with my girlfriend on November 2013.
I introduce good point and disappoints point of the Phulaybay.

Restaurants
Lea lay ...very romantic mood, nice food, staff were very nice, price was so so .

Jampoon...(only breakfast) good location,
food was nice but I wanna more hot meal (EX.Egg benedict,Pancakes etc.)
and more kind of Sausages.
some staff were no smile and chat often.
Sri trang... Very nice classy mood,very nice staff,food were delicious.
In villa dining... Quick delivery, price were a little expensive, staff was nice.
Pool food...staff were nice.price were too expensive for lunch,
Especially I wanna free sweets services for guests at the pool
like a major laxuary resorts.

Room
Very comfortable huge bed,Room keeper team was perfect, very clean every time.
And they followed my a little difficult requests.
The Complimentary soft drinks were nice, but I hope espresso will be free.

Butler
Absolutely great, every time she gave us her smile and her kindness made us happy every day.

ESPA
Very clean, nice mood, but treatment room was too cold for me.
Staff were very kind , technic was very nice.

Others
Library was not found...big disappointment !! I need it for long stay.
Retail shop was so so, but I want more original goods like a keyring,sticker and baggage tag.
Hong island tour...very nice, staff was very kind.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Rayavadee Resort
Rayavadee Resort
#1 of 12 in Railay Beach

Been to Phulay Bay, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve? Share your experiences!