“One night in Krabi.....”

Nakamanda Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed April 1, 2007

My wife and I booked for 3 nights and stayed for 1, which on the face of it says it all.
The room itself was small but adequate. I would not define it as luxurious. However, previous reviewers got it spot on with the "no privacy" comments. Whether in the room or the day area, it was like staying in a goldfish bowl. Were there people to look at us? You bet! The hotel was taken over by a film crew for 3 days, so apart from a view of their 3 bright red trucks parked alongside our villa, there was a constant stream of people back and forth. We had already mentally decided to check out next day.
To the restaurant. Attentive staff, fair quality food, nice choice of wines. Until, that is, approximately 2am when my wife finally succumbed to food poisoning from the seafood dinner. Doctor? Not possible. So, at 3am I drove her to Krabi hospital along with one of the hotel staff to show me the way. Returned at around 5am having checked her in, then back to the hospital at 9am.
In truth, the staff were as helpful as they could be given some of the constraints they are under, Kob (Guest Services Manager)especially showing a genuine concern for my wife. She also made a suitable offer of recompense which we accepted.
However, at the end of the day, we had a terrible room, a noisy and intrusive film crew on site and spent the night in hospital courtesy of the restaurant.
And no, we shan't be going back. Sorry Kob.

Stayed: March 2007
7  Thank Richard D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed March 19, 2007

We booked into this hotel after turning up for our honeymoon at the hotel next door, the Andaman Holiday Resort. Our stay at the latter hotel was cut short as we were not happy with the rooms and service we were offered. We stayed at Nakamanda for three nights and it was the best holiday experience we have ever had. The grounds and rooms were beautiful and the position of the hotel looking over a shallow lagoon to Koh Hong could not have been better. The real highlights of the stay were the staff, particularly the guest services manager, Kobb, who did everything she could to make our honeymoon truly special. Without even asking we were given a complimentary honeymoon package, including sparkling wine, flowers and fruit. When Kobb learned that one of us was not well we received a personal "get well soon" card and complimentary fruit basket. The restaurant at the hotel, the "kitchen" was very good and located close to the beach. The breakfasts, which were included in the room rate, were first class, and high tea which could be purchased for 250 Baht was real highlight of the afternoon. Our room was spacious and featured a sala-style balcony which was perfect for pre-dinner drinks at the end of the day. In summary, we cannot praise this hotel and its staff enough. If you are looking for first class accommodation at reasonable prices, this hotel is a must. We stayed at the end of the high season when the hotel was only half full - it felt like we had the place to ourselves.....the perfect honeymoon.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lmf1soton
Reviewed March 8, 2007

Really liked the location on a pretty beach at high tide. We had a good room with a lovely view but lots of rooms didn't. Pool was restful & nice to get chilled water as you sunbathe. Main downside was we felt the service was a bit obtrusive. We felt they tried too hard, topping up your glass after every sip of water at breakfast, but I think this was because the hotel was quiet.

Mother House was our favourite restaurant outside the hotel. Great laundry service opposite the hotel, dirt cheap & excellent quality. Went on a good trip bought from the travel agents across the road & left - canoeing around mangrove swamps where monkeys jump on the boats. Worthwhile walking down the beach to the Sheraton (left) to see the elephant swim in the sea at 3pm.

• Stayed: February 2007
3  Thank G&TLondon
Reviewed February 22, 2007

We stayed at this hotel following a visit to Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

The sala villas are really nice and appointed to the standard you would expect of a hotel in this category. However, most are built in individual two storey blocks the lower ones of which have walkways running past, this means that passer by's can see easliy and directly into these rooms. There is absolutely no privacy unless the blinds are down, which is absurd.

We asked for a change of room which was accommodated without fuss and were changed to an upper floor, only for this one to be overlooked by other upper floor rooms (and a horrible view of the staff accomodation and yard).

We were not lucky enough to visit whilst the place was quiet, it was full throughout. A real suprise was the amount of children in what is not designed to be a child friendly place... it became clear that many of the one bedroomed villas had inappropriately been let to families with 2 children...the pool area was therefore overrun with them.

Prior to our stay, we had, I suppose, been spoilt by the superb Four Seasons in Chiang Mai and so the contrast in service and quality was probably more marked for us. I happen to agree with the Parisien reviewer below who had not "missed the point" at all! The service was extremely erratic and really annoyed me to the point where, instead of being restful, it became stressful.

Given that this hotel is a member of the Small Luxury Hotels Of The World organisation, it should deliver just that. What it actually delivered when we were there was more holiday camp.

My overwhelming feeling was that the Nakamanda is trying to be something that it is not...

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cliffandjules
Reviewed February 14, 2007

We stayed at Nakamanda for 7 days for the getaway. The hotel surrounding was beautiful and very well maintained (hotel staffs are constantly busy trimming bushes and trees). We also liked the villa that we stayed in: the ample sized room was well kept and clean with touches of small details that you would expect a 5 star hotel to offer. One of the first thing that you will notice is the beautiful Nakamanda pool. You can expect to spend quite a bit of time chilling out by the pool. However, if you are spoiled by those beautiful beach front hotels then you may be disappointed with Nakamanda's. It's definitely not your typical beach as there are way too many rocks. Despite the rocky hotel beach, the scenaries can be quite spectacular during sunset.

We also tried out the Naga Spa service and we found it to be just mediocre. The food service at Nakamanda was expensive and the taste was not up to par (other than breakfast) so dont' waste your money eating here if you have a choice. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and had a pleasant experience with Nakamanda and would return again: the service was great as the staffs are courteous and friendly. However for the top money that we spent, we expected a bit more from a top tier hotel/resort like Nakamanda.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank globetrekker23
Reviewed February 8, 2007

This hotel is very exclusive and had very few other guests when I was there. I think one obvious reason is the high price. I had a special deal, but it still cost me US$225 per night. I've been thinking about our stay there since we came back from Krabi 3 days ago, but still can't make up my mind whether the Nakamanda was worth the money.
You have to value peace & quiet a lot to think this place is value for money. We stayed there for 4 nights, and for 2 mornings, we were the only couple at breakfast (maybe the other guests were early birds?) This was a first for us - all the attention of the 3-4 waiters were focused on us!
Our Sala room was big and nice. Only one complaint - there were many ants on some of our clothes on several occasions.
The food at the hotel was very good, and not too expensive. Baanthai just across the street cost half as much, my wife thought the food was not as good as the hotel's, but I couldn't tell the difference - both were delicious to me!
I enjoyed my stay there, but don't think I will return to the Nakamanda - unless I value peace and quiet during holidays a lot more as I get older...

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple

Beyond Resort Krabi
#8 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Nakamanda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!