“zen perfection”

Nakamanda Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed April 29, 2010

From the moment we were greeted at Karabi airport by the elegantly dressed staff to the moment, ten nights later, when we dropped off, Nakamanda was sheer perfection, the peaceful temple-like surroundings, the incredible staff, the facilities and the view from the pool could not be faulted. It's just about the best place we ever stayed. Not one for families with small children we think but for singles, couples and families with older children wanting the ultimate chill out, this cannot be beaten.
Can recommend too the restaurant just to the right of the entrance, Mothers Place, which serves superb food and, for us, threw in regular lessons in Thai. (Do learn at least a few phrases in Thai which will bring rich rewards in the form of the legendary Thai smiles.

So expensive. Yes. Worth it? Absolutely. (and infinitely preferable to the Sheraton along the beach)
Finally, can recommend Kon Tiki in Au Nang for excellent diving trips.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed April 29, 2010

First off let me apologise to the team at Nakamanda for posting this review so long after we stayed with them.
My wife and I have stayed at the Nakamanda twice now. We have never gone back to a place twice, but we enjoyed it so much here we couldn’t resist.
Obviously money is important, and we found the Nakamanda to be great value with the deals we booked both times.
The staff are fantastic, they really can’t do enough for you and are completely sincere in everything they do. A big special thanks to Eric, Rit, Jip, and the rest of the team whose names I cant remember.

I feel like I’m about to give away secrets now, but then that’s what it’s all about.

Location.
Set away from the very touristy Ao nang, but still within a short taxi ride. We found the location perfect. The pool is great and never seems to busy. The view is fantastic. The area is not built up and only has a couple of hotels near by. I should say that its not the best beach in Thailand, especially round the corner, by the other hotels but when you come to Krabi its to island hop. I think the best-kept secret is that the Nakamanda is very close to Ko Hong Island. One of the best around. Its only around 15 mins in a long tail boat, the secret bit is that all though it can seem busy in the morning, most island hoppers have left mid afternoon, leaving the beach almost to yourself. Fan bloody tastic. We were there around the Christmas period so may not have been busy, but I reckon the tours run the same sort of times through the year. All the other islands are with easy reach too, but dependant on budget you may want to go to Ao nang to get to them.
Around the hotel
As mentioned the hotel is away from the maddening crowds, but does have a few restaurants and bars close by. The food in the hotel is lovely, and it’s the only place you’ll get good wine! But if on a budget try down the road. We had a brilliant Indian in the clay oven (so good we went back 3 times), we had fun in Mother house next door, a lovely woman with a lovely family, and the food in the beach restaurant next to the Sheraton was good value as well.
Rooms.
We had the standard room with a beach view. They are a good size and very comfortable and Housekeeping was always timely. If you want a bit of privacy I would ask for a room that’s not on the main path to the swimming pool, but having said that its always quiet.
I will mention the staff again because they made us feel at home and very relaxed. That plus 5 star small luxury hotel of the world, plus good value and great location equalled two great holidays.
\Many thanks guys, I’m sure we’ll see you all again in the near future.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dextergo
Reviewed April 15, 2010

We stayed at this wonderful hotel for just under a week and I have to say that it was everything we had hoped for. It all started at the airport, despite Tiger Airways changing flight times at the last minute there was still a young man at the gate waiting to whisk us off to the hotel. A 45 minute ride in the hotel car with ice cold water and a cold towel provided saw us cruise into the hotel forecourt. There a cold drink was brought out, the minor formalities over and we were shown to our room (602) and indeed around the complex.
I asked for a high room with sea view and a balcony and got it, a beautiful room awaited us with his and her bathroom sinks, lots of cosmetics and a big bath with skylight right over the top. Four free bottles of water were provided each day which was welcomed in the searing heat, but once at or around the pool it was not really needed as iced water was regularly brought round to us.
The hotel was quite full, but at no time did it ever feel like it, all the staff were very attentive, without being over powering and I must say very helpful on every occasion we needed something or wanted a little advice.
Food; The hotel food was as expected, buffet breakfast at the waters edge, the restaurant or room service if you wanted. A note here though, make sure you also have a look at the breakfast menu. For newcomers you are offered tea or coffee then the buffet, but they also have much more, you just have to ask for it. Would have been a nice touch to have a small printed menu on each table. Good selection of snacks at lunch either around the pool, by the sea front or in the restaurant. Dinner was a little disappointing, not a big selection and although it was of good quality it was not special. Then again it was not expensive. Drink prices were ok.
We did eat out at a couple of local places, both Mothers Kitchen and the Coconut were both very good and just a little cheaper than the hotel.
Service was wonderful, throughout the hotel there was a smile for everyone, rooms were kept spotless as was the whole complex.
Generally I would say not really for kids, the pool is big and kept very clean but there is nothing else in this part of Krabi for them apart from the sea, beach and day trips on long boats. We went to the night market in Krabi city and were disappointed, perhaps we expected a little too much but felt it was a wasted journey. Not much happening in and around the hotel, which was just what we wanted but for the more active I would look elsewhere.
In conclusion I would give this hotel 4 ½ stars, we loved every minute of our stay and could not really find a fault, if I was hard pressed I would say that the pool needs a little work as there are a few loose tiles and in the rooms they are starting to look a little tired, perhaps more variety on the dinner menu, even light music a couple of evenings a week would have been nice. So you can tell there is next to nothing wrong with this wonderful hotel, set on a hill, overlooking a small bay with a cracking beach a few paces away, all set in a fantastic part of the world.
If you want a small, top quality hotel, get well looked after in this part of the world then get yourself booked in, you, like us will not be disappointed
Ken and Jackie Wade

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2010

We had a wonderful, relaxed stay at this resort. I loved the appointment and design features in the rooms, and the landscaping throughout created a tropical garden paradise feel when elsewhere in Krabi things were quite dry and dusty.

The resort was full, but never felt crowded. The food was better than we experienced at any of the restaurants we attended at Railay prior to coming to the Nakamanda. The food was also reasonably priced for a top end hotel.

The staff were very friendly, spoke and understood English and were well trained.

We checked several on-line hotel booking agents before finding one which had the room considerably cheaper than others - so shop around. And the room we got on arrival was one of the better situated ones, with an ocean view and a nice breeze.

As others have noted, there are lots of stairs to take to get to the pool/beach/ restaurant, so if you have knee or leg problems, perhaps this is not the place for you.

We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed April 9, 2010

I just wish the owner would take this critique seriously. I am a Thai and had stayed there nearly ten years ago. It is a beautiful place. I am very sad that after nearly ten years the writer from Mianz fairly and correctly stated her case. I just wish the owner just do something to make this into a real 5 stars hotel. I just wish them well since it will take just so little effort; for our country's travel reputation.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We stayed at the Nakamanda for 1 week at the beginning of March. When we first arrived following a 7 night stay in Khao Lak we were slightly disappointed, but couldnt put our finger on why that was, however after a couple of days the place really does grow on you, so much so we didnt want to leave!

We were allocated an upstairs room which had a lovely view through the tree tops to the beach below. The bedrooms are very comfortable, huge comfy bed, great bathrooms with double sinks, a very large shower, bath and separate toilet.

We spent most of our days chilling out around the swimming pool and walking on the beach. We thought the beach was lovely, especially when the tide was in, the sea water was really clear, we really enjoyed going into the sea here. The guys around the pool were great, filling your glass with chilled water constanty or moving sunbeds and umbrellas as required.

Breakfast was served on a decking area overlooking the beach, the sea and the islands beyond. The breakfast selection was good, everything you could possibly want. Latte and cappucinno coffee was also available if you asked the waiters at no extra cost.

At night we tried 3 of the local restaurants but were not impressed at all, we found the food bland at all 3 that we tried plus they are located on a main road where huge lorries are passing by on their way to the peir nearby to drop off building materials.

We also ate at the hotel restaurant at night where the food is great and not too expensive, the location looking over the beach and the rocks which are lit up watching the crabs beats sitting up on the main road watching the lorries go by.

We had a lovely day out on a long tail boat visiting neary local islands including hong island which has a fabulous beach and emerald green sea.

We found all the staff excellent, friendly and professional. All in all I would totally recommend this hotel for a quiet, relaxing holiday.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

My husband and I spent 8 nights at the Nakamanda at the beginning of March 2010. We were looking for a place with nice accommodation, where we could relax, soak up the sun but, have the opportunity to get out and about if we wanted it.

We booked directly with the Nakamanda and got a very good rate. We arranged for a transfer from the airport – nothing nicer after a long flight than a chilled bottle of water and cool towel plus, a smart air conditioned car. On arriving at the hotel, it looks very unremarkable. Don’t get me wrong, it was nice with traditional woods and design but, because the resort is set on a hill and is very small, it’s not until you’ve been there a few days that you appreciate the place. As some people have mentioned, the Nakamanda really does grow on you.

Reception is at the entrance near the main road and then you wind yourself through the pathways to the salas and down to the beach, pool and restaurant. The pool was really pretty and very big – it’s nice to get a pool which is actually something you can do some serious swimming in. It would be nice if the white sun loungers were replaced with wooden ones since they are a bit of an eye sore. For exercise, there was also a gym with a bike, treadmill and some weights but, it was nothing spectacular.

Room
From reading other reviews on Trip Advisor, I requested a sala on the first floor and we got 1812 which was towards the back of the resort. The room was nice and traditional in design with lots of wood and light fabrics. There was a seating area at the foot of the large bed. Behind the bed was the dressing area with 2 sinks and beyond that the bath, toilet and separate shower. There was always a fresh supply of towels, toiletries and you even got a beach basket and some flip flops as well as a robe. We had an outside covered deck but to be honest, it was too hot to sit out. Another plus is the free water. I hate nothing more than having to go out to the local shops to stock up on water when you are staying in a nice hotel. At the Nakamanda you certainly won’t go short and I drink a lot of water!

For breakfast there was a buffet with a large selection of fruit and cereals. You could also get eggs cooked to order and there were pastries and bread. The buffet was good for me since I love fruit but for some I would imagine it would get a little boring. Some home made fresh bread instead of shop bought would have been nice.

We ate lunch hat the hotel everyday and this was great with a selection of Asian or Western sandwiches and pizza. It was really nice to have lunch sat out on the deck by the beach. We also had dinner here – the outside tables were popular so you some times had to reserve them. Again, the evening food (we only ate the Asian food) was wonderful and very tasty. You must try the soft shell crab and also the seafood steamed in a coconut – delicious. All the food at the hotel was really reasonable priced and with the added benefit of eating by the sea it made for a great dining experience.

We also ate at the Coconut Restaurant (out of the entrance, to the left next to Paddy’s Pub). Lovely food and service but, the sound of the large trucks going past to pick up aggregates from the port down the road wasn’t very relaxing. We also tried dinner at the restaurant on the beach (to the left of the hotel on the way to the Sheraton). The food was okay but not great. A favourite place was the Terrace Restaurant outside the entrance to the Sheraton Hotel. It was set back from the road so the noise of the trucks wasn’t too bad. The food here was excellent.

The beach
As other people have mentioned, the beach outside the hotel is a little rocky and it’s very tidal so there are only a few days when you can go swimming. However, the view was stunning. The beach to the left of the hotel towards the Sheraton was much nicer and cleaner than in the other direction.

Spa
I had a couple of Thai massages in the spa and the therapist certainly knew what they were doing! I found it a little hard to walk afterwards but, they certainly got rid of some niggling knots and a few days later my calves had never felt better. There was a promotion on which made the treatments good value.

Diving
The hotel recommended Manta Point Divers, who were a great outfit. My husband and I were collected by the owner, Keith, an English man who opened the dive company with his wife a few years ago. It was so nice to have a private transfer to Ao Nang and not be on a dodgy van that resembles a cattle truck. The boat and the equipment were new and in great condition. There were only 6 divers and it was lovely (as 40 years olds) to have older, very experienced dive guides, Keith and Peter. We dived the wreck of the King Cruiser, Shark Point, and Anemone Reef and it was wonderful; the plentiful fish and corals, beautiful colours and the highlight of patting a Leopard Shark! If you go diving you must use these guys.

When we first arrived I thought the service at the restaurant was little brusque but, after a few days everyone gets to know you and actually, the guys and girls there are really friendly and the service was excellent.

At the beach and around the pool, the guys really looked after us, constantly filling our glasses with water, moving beds and generally looking after us. Thanks!

All in all we had a lovely stay at the Nakamanda and would whole heartedly recommend it for a relaxing holiday.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nong Thale
Beyond Resort Krabi
#8 of 12 in Nong Thale
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Nakamanda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!