“Wow! Wow! Wow!”

Nakamanda Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed September 27, 2009

I'm so excited to write this review because they deserve a true review from me. My husband, my little precious and I spent 5 days 4 nights at Nakamanda last week. It was a fabulous holiday for the 3 of us from accommodation, the superb services and the place itself. And 5 days 4 nights is just not enough!

Let me start with the resort.

We were picked up at the airport and it took us about 40 minutes to reach the resort. We were given cold towel and mineral water when we were in the car. By the way it was a new Camry. Check in process is very good. We were greeted by the Chief Concierge-Rit and he suggested some programs for us during our stay. And we decided to join the 4 islands tour. Trust me....it was superb and the islands are so beautiful!

The whole ambiance in the resort is so relaxing, comfortable and we are kind of having the whole resort by ourselves during our stay due to the low season. We had our lunch and dinner in the resort and we still find the food at The Kitchen (name of the restaurant) is the best. Don't be confused by other reviews mentioning the price is high. It is not and you will find that even the restaurants outside or at Ao Nang town also charging about the same price. But in terms of taste and quality, they are not compatible with The Kitchen. So we decided to have all our meals in the restaurant during the last day of our stay. We went to Ao Nang seafood and Koh Bua for our dinner. They are good but not as good as The Kitchen. If you want really good Thai food or Western food, The Kitchen is your best choice. The chef also baked nice cookies!

The Sala Villa we had is partially sea facing. Although there are many stairs in the resort and may not be so friendly to elder people. But you can always ask for the villa located at the ground floor. It's not a problem at all. Spacious room and great bathroom! I love the bath tub that you can have a hot bath and looking into the sky. Isn't that romantic.....

Our room rate inclusive of breakfast and kid is free. Some reviews mentioned that choices are limited for breakfast, lunch and dinner if you eat at the restaurant everyday. But we don't feel that cos there are lots of things you can keep on trying. E.g. fried noodles, fried rice, rice congee, western breakfast, or even sometimes if you request item not in the menu, they will try to fulfill. We love their boiled eggs (4 mins). So tasty and so delicious that we had it every day. We request BBQ chicken for our girl's dinner n they did it so good. My girl finish everything on her plate!

Now let's talk about their spa. Yes, you can find some spa outside the hotel but we dare not try due to the hygiene issues and the environment. We had our spa at the resort for 2 days. They even took care our daughter for us while we enjoy the spa. My little princess was so happy and showed us the nail&toe color they put for her!

We also went to Krabi town for a half day shopping with Rit. He is so kind to offer us the trip at a very good deal. We had a wonderful shopping at the outlet village. But you must remember to ask the staff to fill up the VAT refund form so you can get your refund at the Krabi international airport. We asked them a few times and they keep saying there isn't VAT refund at the Krabi Int'l Airport. This is not true! So please make sure you did it. We were so angry with them and lodged a complain at the VAT refund service counter.

Rit also took us to the famous fish noodles shop at Krabi town. The noodles is delicious. Rit is just so professional, friendly and kind. He even entertain our girl while we shop. What else can I say about his service!

We also went to the Ao Nang night market but there wasn't much to see. So I would suggest that if you want to do some shopping...go to outlet village, big C or even Tesco.
But if you do not fancy shopping...then just relax yourself at the resort or go for islands hopping.

I am so glad that I made the right choice. At first I was struggling whether to stay at Sheraton or Nakamanda. Because there were lots of review about Sheraton but don't let those affect your decision. We walked to the beach in front of Sheraton from Nakamanda and is just a short walk about 10mins. After the walk, I can tell you....go with Nakamanda!! You will be amazed and experience the true thai friendliness. I want to thank you all the staff at the Nakamanda for making our holiday a memorable one and we will be back with our other family members!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank achow
Write a ReviewReviews (1,300)

Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed here in July 2009 for three nights on a full board basis in a basic sala villa.
The resort collected us from our other hotel and had a day room ready for us as we arrived at 10am. The villas are big and spacey and very clean. The bathrooms are very big and have a massive bath big enough for two people with a glass roof so you can sit in it at night and watch the stars!
We were full board and the choices were good but I think if we were staying for any longer it would have become a bit repetitive but the breakfast was great and a nice change to have a menu rather than traditional mass catered buffet style breakfasts which all taste the same!
The pool area was massive and as it was monsoon season, there were hardly any other guests so we had the whole place to ourselves on most days. The weather was great every day - no rain at all!
Views from the pool, beach and pool area are stunning.
Staff were friendly and courteous - maybe a bit lapse in the evenings but no major issues here.
On the whole, for the £400 we paid for three nights plus all our meals we felt we had great value for money and hardly spent a penny otherwise - the drinks are very well priced and a nice touch is that everything includes the standard 17% extra so no nasty suprises when we had our final bill (unlike at the Amari vogue where everything had the 17% added on afterwards!)

I'd def recommend this hotel. The staff are good, the rooms very nice and the whole surrounding is excellent. We never left the resort in three days - we didn't need to!

3  Thank Ozzycat
Reviewed August 12, 2009

I have been living in Thailand since 2004 and can say for sure this is one of the best resorts I have been to in the South. Krabi is one of the only places that have not yet been spoiled but where you have all the comfort of a 5 star hotel. Villas were fantastic, I loved the private beach and also enjoyed long walks on the (public) white sand beach which is practically private as there are no developments at all apart from the Sheraton. Hurry, this won't stay like this for a very long time. This was not our honeymoon but very well could have been. Fantastic and I would go back anytime.

2  Thank BkkGirl9
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Me and my wife have been to Nakamanda for our Honeymoon for 4 nights during July 2009. Everything was excellent! Service was very good, very polite and everyone was there to help you immediately. We were there at low season and it was even better as the hotel wasn't very crowded. We surely recommend Nakamanda for staying at Krabi.
The hotel is 15 minutes away from the Ao Nang beach were there are many restaurants, bars and shops. The taxi costs 400 Baht (8 Euros). Furthermore you can arrange daily trips to Phi Phi Islands, elephant trecking etc from the Hotel.
We hope to go again to Nakamanda!!!!

2  Thank Maimos
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Very value to stay for your vacation. Don't expect for white beach but hotel is a great design and can design for all romantic's view. Highest qualtiy of service and accomodation.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Tropical Paradise

I agree with much of what other reviewers say about this resort. It is magnificent.

Nakamanda reminds me in concept of another tropical paradise I stayed at many years ago called “Turtle Island” in Fiji. It too had a private beach, water sports, individual accommodation units (called bures in Fiji, salas in Thailand) set in verdant gardens, excellent staff providing personalised service, good food, and a sense of privacy and exclusivity. The sort of place you can chill-out for days in luxurious isolation. So what else can one say about Nakamanda?

Well, for a start, it costs significantly less than a stay at Turtle Island.

Nakamanda is built on a hillside gently sloping down to a beach. On the beach level is a huge and beautifully designed swimming pool surrounded by stone walls, lotus pools, cascading water, and various artefacts. It is the focal point of the base level of the resort where the fine restaurant, incongruously called The Kitchen, is also located. Other levels include the Thai themed salas, a spa, library, gym, and reception at the top. There are lots of steps, so not ideal for elderly people or young children, but then I don’t think the resort is particularly targeting that market. Again, very similar to Turtle Island.

I find it difficult to find anything to criticise about Nakamanda, except to say that I was slightly disappointed that the gym was not functional while I was there. The gym is very small containing one treadmill, an exercise bike, some free weights, and a combination weight training machine. I think it would get crowded with more than two people using it. But then, climbing up and down the steps in the resort provides sufficient exercise – well that’s my excuse anyway. Again, I don’t think Nakamanda is targeting the gym junkie market.

Unfortunately I was only able to stay two nights in Nakamanda on my way home from Europe. But I managed to take advantage of a fantastic massage at the spa, frequent swims in that beautiful pool, walks along the deserted beach, sample the various food options, and enjoy the indolence of just doing nothing but looking at the distant islands from the balcony of my elevated sala.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank crdaus
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We stayed for 23 nights in the Jacuzzi pool villa. We have stayed in many luxurious resorts before throughout the Indian Ocean and Asia (we live in Hong Kong but are European), and this surpassed many. Very clean and tidy, excellent Thai architecture, and excellent fittings etc. Can't fault the layout. The owner has tremendous passion for his resort, and you can see that. He took a personal role and incredible pride in the landscaping and many other aspects of the resort.
Although you turn in from the road expecting that there could be some traffic noise penetrating the resort, because its built into its own little bay, you do not hear a thing (but we did take one of the 3 villas, and they tend to be in the best position).
Our villa was spacious, superbly well stocked, secluded from the people traffic (not that there was alot), 2 minibars (v.important - my wife is Danish and I am English/Indian... ), 2 TVs and DVDs, a separate lounge area and kitchen, and two terraces.
Though an island across the bay fronting the resort obscures the sunset, don't let this small issue inconvenience you, as some tend to write. Take a beer and sit in the jacuzzi and enjoy the change in light (dusk is a wonderful time of day). Nakamanda has a way of slowing down the passage of time, in which we place a high value.
Though English was a struggle for the staff, we did our best to find this charming - because they were making a tremendous effort to be understood. Perhaps because we were on our honeymoon and were staying longer than most (we arrived mid-Dec on 16th, and left mid-Jan 2009), even the owner made a special effort - even finding a particular floral arrangement on the terrace for my wife, because she happened to mention a favourite colour while she was painting on the terrace. I don't think that has happened before....
The staff were actually very, very attentive, and always maintained a happy demeanour. I know we always expect that in the best resorts, but somehow it felt very genuine and engaging.
The restaurant choice is a little limited, but its a short drive by taxi to wherever you want to get to. But the food that is served at the hotel is excellent. We had a special dinner on the beach front for both Xmas 2008 and New Year 2009 - excellent, fabulous, along with Chinese lantern ceremony on the beach which is very special to do with the one you love.
There are a few other bars and restaurants along the beach, but they are tucked out of view. We especially liked the Jamaica bar - with a real "Rastaman" owner. In view of the economic situation, we hope his business survived.
Some have written here about the beach being rocky etc. Yes, there are rocks, but that makes for a more distinct landscape than otherwise. Anyway, there are 2 longer sandy beaches close by, so if you want something else its easy to get to. There is also a larger hotel close-by (Sheraton or Hilton or something like that), so if you want to make noise and do some watersports etc. then its just a 10min walk along the beach - but you can't hear the riff-raff at night, trust me.
If you are the energetic type and want bars/restaurants nearby - don't go to Nakamanda. But if you value a place that has the ability to slow down time with some great spa treatments, then go for it. Yes, its not cheap - but what price would you put on your own health and well-being? I actually found it was difficult to readjust to work after this - but that was a very healthy experience. Life is important, so get a balance - and this place helps you achieve it (yes, yes, it was our honeymoon...).
And on a final note, on my departure I forgot my watch - and it was only a cheap Swatch, but they called us on the way to the airport, and an extra car was despatched to meet us. Excellent attentive staff...
Some time since we came back, but promised to do this - and the memory stays strong.
Raj and Lisa in Hong Kong.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Beyond Resort Krabi
#8 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Nakamanda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!