“Worth the trip to Krabi - Friendly Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nakamanda Resort & Spa

Nakamanda Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
singapore
“Worth the trip to Krabi - Friendly Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

We chose Nakamanda based on the reviews of Tripadvisor which came highly recommended.

This is normally not a great thing as it raises my expectations of the resort, and on this case, we would say it fell just short of our own expectations but overall it was still a decently good place to stay in and we have no regrets choosing this place.

We signed up for the 4D3N Honeymoon package in the Hydropool Villa, which came with a complimentary 2hrs spa, airport transfers, dinner set meal, herbal soak and the other usual welcome gifts. The room was sufficiently huge for 2, with an outdoor welcome veranda, a sleeping area, a nice huge toilet with separate basins, a family TV area, and a backyard with a jacuzzi pool. However, the room and bathrooms do have a slight sign of wear and tear but place was really clean.

Just to note, there isn't really a beach and during high tide, the water comes almost up to the outdoor seatings of the restaurant, during low tide you can walk out to probably 40 metres but you would not call it a proper beach.

For the activities to be done in Krabi, we went ATV driving, Kayaking, and had a Hong Island Tour. These can be booked with the counter staff or you might want to check out the tourists shops opposite the resort. The Kayaking is recommended, whereas the Hong Island Tour was so-so and if you are purely there for the snorkelling, i would suggest you skip it and head for another tour instead as the waters were not clear and there were limited fishes.

The massage places outside of the Spa are also very reasonably priced, but of course ambiance wise this cannot be compared with the resorts' spa.

We did not particularly enjoyed the food at the hotel, so on one of the nights, we headed out for some Live Seafood - BanThaan Restaurant, if i didn't recall wrongly. The Crab's are live and really fresh.

There is also a convenience store just outside of the resort so you can get your daily needs and snacks from there as well.

The gym is sufficient, though a little dated. There is a mini library where you can borrow books from and a complimentary DVD collection where we managed to catch up with 2 shows - don't expect the latest block-blasters though.

Nakamanda's focus is on friendly customer service - at no point during our vacation did we feel that any staff were unhelpful/unfriendly in any way. Even the gardeners employed by them would respectfully stop their work and greet you when you walk by.

However, there were a couple of instances where the lack of training and language showed- but no hard feelings were taken as the service recovery and overall extra-friendliness of the staff more than make up for these shortcomings.

One of the issues was during our first meal (lunch) - i ordered a wrap with grilled chicken. But was actually served the dish without the grilled chicken. This was promptly rectified and a new dish was brought out quickly with much apologies from the wait staff who seemed genuinely disappointed and apologetic from this minor hiccup from his kitchen.

The second, was a mis-communication with the counter staff and the spa where i asked the counter staff to reserve a slot from 6-8pm on our last night, to utilize the complimentary 2hr spa that came with the hotel package. When we arrived at the Spa, we were told that the booking was made for only 1 person and for 1 hour, and that they are fully booked for the rest of the night. On hearing that we are flying off the next morning, the staff made a decision to open the spa 2 hours earlier the next morning at 8am (their opening hours are 10am - 8pm) so that we can enjoy some massage before our flight. This I felt was superb service recovery on their part and i was slightly sheepish for causing a group of staff to have to report 2hours earlier the next morning - but that is the level of service they are willing to go to in Nakamanda.

We brought this up to Kwan (Ms Pasika) the F/O Manager, as because of the Spa, we have cancelled an evening city tour and we originally hoped to enjoy a swim on the morning of departure, both of which were now not possible. Kwan was receptive in the feedback and made further recovery attempts. Hence, we would say that Kwan is doing a great job and she's a real asset to Nakamanda, and one of the reason why I'm writing this review.

Overall, we are happy to have visited Nakamanda.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2001 which was pretty much in the middle of this resort with many steps. It was pr...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Nakamanda in April for 4 nights. The resort is great if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the main town (about 20 mins by cab). The resort has 35 rooms, so it does have a boutique feel. The rooms are a decent size and each have a veranda with outdoor seating which is a nice touch. The resort is clean and the staff very helpful. There is a great pool, large enough to swim laps and it is located on the beach. A couple of helpful points:

1) The cost to and from the main city can be expensive. There is no complementary bus arranged by the hotel. I think we paid approx. 400 THB each way with a local taxi, which adds up over your stay.
2) There a couple of local restaurants outside the resort on the main road, which we went to for dinner. Cheaper than the hotel, but also wanted to not always have the hotel food. There also a couple of massage places on the road.
3) The beach is not great, at low tide you will have to walk out a fair way to the water and at high tide the water covers the whole beach. There is a decent beach to the left of the hotel, which has a great massage place on the beach, but don't look right as there is usually large ships moored for the limestone quarry.
4) There are a lot of steps in the hotel and they can be steep at times. Initially we were put in a room at the back of the hotel, but with my wife being 5 months pregnant we asked to me move to the bottom of the resort near the beach, pool, restaurant etc. The staff were very helpful and we moved straight away
5) Excursions can be arranged with the long tail boats every morning on the beach, the hotel does not help with this. Be sure to get at least 500thb off the asking price, as it can be quite expensive otherwise.

I would recommend Nakamanda if you want tranquillity and peace. It was great for us to spend some time really relaxing and taking some time out.

Room Tip: Definitely try and get a room at the bottom of the resort near the beach and the pool
3 Thank Irfan_Khan_10
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

If you are looking for a spot in Krabi where there is tranquility, peace and quiet together with affordable comfort, you have come to the right place. It is definitely very picturesque, serene and with lots of class.
The rooms (suites) are very large - love the veranda. This hotel has 35 or so suites. Therefore not that crowded.
Every room comes with its own huge veranda where you can lounge in. The bathrooms is humungous with separate his and hers wash basins and an 'open air' bath tub (really nice touch).
The down side to the room is the hardness of the king size bed. It is quite hard - but nothing some massage will not cure.
Speaking of massage - WOW!!! don't be a scrooge. Pay for the 3 hour treatment. REALLY WORTH YOUR TIME AND MONEY!!!
The food (dinner) in the restaurant is good. Breakfast was a so-so.
The staff are excellent.
The pool is big and water is hot (I wonder why) - had to cool off in the beach.
The gym is passable.
One thing I must warn against is all the walking you have to do. Lots of Upstairs and Lots of Downstairs. We counted - it took a total of 60 upstairs to get to our room from the restaurant.

Room Tip: Note that this hotel is about 15minutes away from the hustle and bustle of Ao Nang Beach. However, j...
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

Location : Far from the airport. Nothing much to do outside the resort. There are shops to rent scooters opposite the hotel in case you want to visit other famous beaches.

Hotel & Rooms : Doesn't look like a 5 star building when you are at the gates. No big concrete tower and glass windows. But once you are in you get the feeling that you are transported to a tropical forest. But the cottages are so well planned and cozy that it you are just want to stay out in the resort longer than your planned vacation. We were fortunate to get a room with a view of the nice (almost) private beach right at the edge of the resort. Cleanliness is top notch. Always good to have a naturally produced toiletries and fragrances in the room. More like a home away from home.

Hospitality: Couldn't have asked for more. Loved it right from the check-in to check-out. They become your friends through the stay.

Food: Pampered for choice. Had meals outside which costed as much but no where close to the taste and quality served by the chef at the resort. Candle light dinners, special request for vegetarian meals et all. No complaints.

Room Tip: Select the rooms with the beach / island view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeepTales
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We stayed at this resort actually by accident, because we waited too long to book a nice place to stay in January and we didn't realize that the Chinese New Year was that night, so all hotels/resorts in the area were full. We managed to find the last room in this resort and it was the best decision we could have made. Amazing resort with a very beautiful structure and incredible rooms.

We stayed in a really elegant bungalow with an amazing bathroom with bath and shower and everything you would expect from a 5-star hotel. The room was spacious and really clean. The bed was enormous and very comfortable.

The staff at the reception were really kind to us and they welcomed us with a delicious tropical juice and a tour around the place. Actually the whole staff was incredible (at the reception, in the spa, the masseuse, the waiters, the cooks...). As it was the Chinese New Year they prepared some activities in the restaurant area which included fire shows, Chinese sky lanterns and lion shows and the food was distributed into several stalls which kindly they served. The food was delicious and we also managed to meet the organizer of the party at the hotel, a really nice man.

When it comes to the spa, also brilliant. We had to pick among different oils and then we had a Balinese massage which personally led me to heaven for an hour. The masseuse was really professional and she definitely knew what she was doing. We also got a tea both before and after the massage and one friend who didn't have a massage was waiting for us outside and he was offered also tea, which we thought it was really kind of them. He also asked for a favour and it was done straight away!

The swimming pool is not really big but definitely enough and relaxing, at least for us, since it was pretty empty due to the Chinese New Year's preparation.

We were scared on how to get to the Phi Phi Islands but they coordinated everything for a taxi to pick us at the hotel door and take us to the Phi Phi boat, paying everything at the front desk in the hotel and therefore not having to worry at all. They also do this to other destinations, which I found really handy.

To sum up, I would reccommend this hotel to anyone. I really had a great experience there and the staff were incredible.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

I arrived early (around noon) and was expecting to wait, but as soon as paperwork was done, we were whisked to our villa. This must've been around 1230, which was absolutely heaven since my son and I were tired.

Our attendant gave us a personal tour, taking us through the villa and walking us to the pool. He would've walked us to the kitchen and spa too but we were too tired and just wanted to rest.

The villa is GORGEOUS, with premium wood motif. In fact, the entire resort has the same consistent. The bathtub is HUGE. Would've easily fit my husband, my 6 year old son and myself! The villa is also spacious, where the vanity, toilet, shower and tub are each units of their own and together make up the second half. There is also a verandah.

The pool and the beachfront are together, so parents can relax on beach chairs with a book while kids splash around behind. There are two pool types - child and adult. The adult pool is minimalist - only 1.3m deep and sufficient for laps. The child pool has waterfalls.

The beachfront isn't fabulous, as the view is of an island which is approximately 500m away and separate from mainland Krabi by a shallow strip of sand that is visible at low tide (people stroll over then). The times we were there (breakfast and tea time), it was low tide. Think high tides are usually after lunch, then recede towards evening.

Breakfast is a sufficient spread, although variety could've been better. The entire resort is petite though so vacancies are limited, ergo at any one time there can't be more than a certain number of guests. That's probably why the spread isn't so big. The food isn't fabulous either, but I am not complaining since we weren't there for their food!

Their spa offers a variety of massages, facials and body wraps. I had one massage and one facial. I suppose by Thai standards the massage was good. I had the Nakamanda, which is supposed to be strong and was, but it was a bad choice since I wasn't aching to begin with ... because now I am!

My masseuse, who was very good, also did my facial after. I suppose when you're good at one thing, you may not be as good at the other, so my facial could've been better. Again, not complaining, just sharing my experience.

Service is fast. We made a total of 4 in-room requests - they were all attended to within 10 minutes.

Things to note when you are there:
1. Transport
This may not be so much of an issue if you don't have plans to sightsee (I hardly saw any of the other guests venture out while I was there).

The area where the resort is situated is away from anything busy. The nearest town is Aonang, which is 9km away.

I was told that tuktuks do not go where we are and the only option was a taxi at THB500. On our first evening, we headed out to look for dinner and chanced upon a tuktuk just outside, who agreed to take us to Aonang for THB300. I then hired this tuktuk to bring us to and from Nakamanda-Aonang for lunch the next day (we would agree on the time and place for pick-up).

2. Quiet environment
The resort feels more couple, rather than families, although when I was there, I did see another 2 families with children. I never had a negative experience in this respect though, although it should be noted that the atmosphere is one of peace, solitude and relaxation.

3. Language
Most of the customer-facing staff speak English, but some do not. I had two encounters with staff who could not understand my question or request.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank faithaffair
Taoyuan, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is one of the best resorts I have ever been. Staff are always sweet and smiling. Pool is beautiful and Book who is the administrator of pool is quite funny and friendly. He said 你好 to me and asked me what's different between "你好" and "你好嗎?", just let me feel no gap and just like another home. If you plan to go to Krabi, I'll recommend you to stay in this resort, it is really good no matter the room and environment.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nong Thale
#7 of 12 in Nong Thale
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,303 reviews
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort
Dusit Thani Krabi Beach Resort

Been to Nakamanda Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!