“Beautiful beachfront hotel”

Beyond Resort Krabi
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Nong Thale
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed a few days at Beyond Resort Krabi in November while transiting from Koh Lanta to Bangkok and had an amazing time. To start with, the beach front location is definitely the best in Krabi. Direct access from the hotel to the long white sandy beach and its turquoise indian ocean is absolutely wonderful. For couples, families or friends seeking a sunny getaway at one of Thailand's most beautiful beaches, don't look further. As for the hotel accommodation, we had a Grand Deluxe Seaview Suite and were so happy with the choice. The balcony was huge and the view (especially sunset) can only be described as spectacular. In the evening it is so relaxing to have a glass of wine while enjoying the sparkling ocean and its stunning sunset. In-room facilities are five-star: Jacuzzi, double-double comfortable bedding, rain-shower, flat screen TV, dressing area, etc. These suites are limited and I think reservation needs to be made in advance in order to get one! Breakfast was really good with a big variety of selection from Asian cuisine to Continental breakfast. We also enjoyed the Nov28th Fullmoon Festival buffet, the hotel also provided balloons for guests to release in the sky as well as banana leaf floats to send into the ocean. The hotel staff was out on the beach to assist hotel guests light up the balloons. We thought that was really thoughtful and particularly appreciated the nice atmosphere!

Hotel staff might not speak the best English but they were all very friendly and tried their best to assist us in anything we asked. We really didn't mind the English because we were in Thailand for an authentic experience - at Beyond Resort Krabi we felt that!

We will come back and we recommend the resort!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Olivier M
BeyondKrabi, General Manager at Beyond Resort Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Olivier,

Many thanks for your feedback. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort and that you indulged in the comfort of one of our three Grand sea view suites.

Thank you again and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in 2013, either here or at our sister property, Beyond Resort Khao Lak. Beyond Resort Khao Lak is an "adults only" all-villa style resort on a beautiful stretch, only a one hour drive from Phuket International airport.

Claude

Write a ReviewReviews (1,475)

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here for 4 night over Christmas - we wish now, it could have been longer! From the first moment we arrived with the stunning view from reception, we were not disappointed. Everything in the hotel has been constructed to a very high specification. Our cottage was almost the furthest away from the beach - but we did not mind that one bit, as it made it convenient to pop into the village of Klong Muang and it was in a nice quiet spot.
The toughest decision is whether to sit by the beautiful pool or the beautiful beach.
One thing we were worried about was whether the hotel would seem too remote after a previous visit to Ao Nang, but this turned out not to be a problem as there are 3 or 4 nice restaurants, a convenience store. laundry and 3 or 4 massage places just outside.

Some constructive criticism and recommendations.

1. Some of the staff on reception can be unhelpful.

I think this was mainly due to some of them not speaking great English - but since reception staff are the "face" of the hotel, I think this is an area which could be greatly improved.

2. Food

First, let me say the breakfast were excellent! But we found the food in the hotel to be expensive - so we hardly ate anything in the hotel. I think it is definitely something to look into. If there had been a small range of fresh seafood a some more standard thai meals like Pad Thai and Fried Rice at a cheaper price, we definitely would have eaten in more.

3. Drinks Service

Whilst I would have hated it if someone had asked me every few minutes if I'd like a drink - having someone taking drinks orders more pro-actively by the pool and beach area would be a good thing.

4. Ants in your Pants!

On the beach area in front of the pool there are some ants with a very nasty bite! Both me and my better half were bitten during the one morning we were on sun loungers there. I am not sure if this is something you can do something about, but definitely worth investigating!

All in all, though ...I want to thank you at the hotel from a marvellous time...I hope your hotel only gets better.

Room Tip: Think about what is important to you - a room with a sea view or a self-contained villa? Do you wan...
3  Thank SteveinUK

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for having taken the time to write a detailed review. We appreciate your feedback and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

In regards to your comment about the staff at the reception: you are right, the English level is a challenge for some of the staff and it makes them lose their confidence and with that sometimes their natural smile. It is very difficult to get qualified staff with good English skills in this part of Thailand. We continue to train the staff and we are also hiring a new lot of foreign trainees with better English skills. I am sure that with time our standards will be on the same level as other, longer established resorts in the area. I have noted your comments in regards to the food prices. A resort’s Food & Beverage operation is more costly to run than the small restaurants along the road. We monitor the prices of other resorts and we make sure we our prices are in line with prices of outlets with a similar setting and quality. The service around the swimming pool is improving but there are still consistency issues which we continue to work on. In regards to the ants, I am sorry to read that you got bitten. We rake and clean the sand daily. Ants are not a regular occurrence but we will keep an eye on them.

Thank you again for your feedback. We will be pleased to hear from you again and to welcome you back to Beyond Resort Krabi in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated in the best spot in the area,facing the ocean plus a few villas behind it.
The prices in the bar reasonable,only didn't figured out about the measures of the spirits-been told it's 1 cl after a complain at the bar,because I could hardly see my "double" Glenfiddich in the glass,as there are no measures mentioned in the menu,presumed it'll be 3 cl
The second minus about the hotel is

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Paf33

Dear Sir,

thank you for your feedback. We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at Beyond Resort Krabi. I am sorry about the confusion about the standard size of a drink at the bar. One measure of spirits corresponds to 1.5cl so a double should indeed be 3cl. This has been reemphasized with the team.

Thank you again and we will be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Beyond Resort Krabi in the future.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I and my wife stayed at Beyond Krabi Resort in December 2012 to celebrate our Anniversary.

Beyond Krabi is about 35 km away from Krabi Airport and it takes about 40 min by Taxi. Getting taxi was easy as they have prepaid taxi service on the Krabi Airport. We paid 700 Bhat for the taxi ride one way.

Beyond Krabi is next to Sheraton Hotel. It has fantastic view of the ocean. the beach is shared by Sheraton and Beyond.

We stayed in a Villa which was very nice. Room was very big and had a large bathroom and a patio.

Hotel has been very thoughtful in amenities which they provide in the rooms.

1. Beach towels
2. Flip flops
3. Umbrella
4. Locker

This Resort has lovely pool which overlooks the beach.. and a very good bar and restaurant. They had very nice spread in the morning breakfast.

room service was very nice and staff is very good and polite

Hotel can arrange for most of your day trips but if you are looking to do something like Kayaking or Snorkeling then you can just walk to the Sheraton and do it from there.

Ao Nang - the main toursit district is about 15 km away and if you take the short cut then it is about 10 km. We rented a scooter which was available out the hotel. We paid 300 bhat for 24 hours rental.

Overall Aaaa+++ properrty.. moden and new architecture.,.,

Meant for nice relaxing holiday..

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the ocean or take villa close to the ocean/pool
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
BeyondKrabi, General Manager at Beyond Resort Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Sir,

thank you very much for your recent stay with us and for your review. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your experience at our Resort. Thank you also for the detailed description of the amenities in the room and it is great to see that guests appreciate items like the out-door slippers.

Thank you again and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Beyond Resort Krabi or maybe at our sister property, Beyond Resort Khao Lak, an all villa "Adults only" resort located only a one hour comfortable drive from Phuket International airport.

Thank you again.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked Beyond Resort after reading reviews on trip advisor which were all excellent. The hotel is stunning and the location on the beach is amazing.

When we checked in we could hardly understand what was exactly being said as the reception staff do not speak English too well. We booked a cottage as it sounded secluded and was looking forward to some peace. These " cottages " are dense, one after another after another after another. So close together, there is something like 10 ft between them if your lucky. The " cottage " we had was directly opposite another with windows directly facing each other and door. There was no privacy unless you had the curtains closed and then it felt gloomy. We asked if we could change room and would pay but they said they did not have another room. We did think we wanted to move hotels and loose the money but decided to just live with it. There are no images of these " cottages " on the website or explanation where they are situated on the site.

The food is not good especially the buffet's we had two. One Thai the other Italian. Both were just very average. We did have a lunch which was ala carte which was ok ish. One night we booked the buffet and was told they were very busy, we booked for 8pm and was offered a table by the actual buffet tables. We got there at 8pm to find there was only 6 tables being used but they wanted us to still sit at the original table offered. I asked them to set a table nearer the ocean which they did. The food did not look as it had been replenished for sometime. Why we booked twice we do not know but laughed about it. On one of these occasions around 9.30 pm I tried to catch the attention of a member of staff but could not as almost all the staff kitchen and waiters were watching a foot ball match on a huge TV which sits above the bar. If that was not bad enough there was Rihana playing in the back ground. We eventually managed to get someone's attention. For god sake management remove the awful TV. The lunch we had was OK but the entertainment was the best. It was Christmas Eve and the staff were setting up for the evening following a table plan. There was something like 9 staff moving tables removing them, rearranging them time and time over again. It was hysterical. There must have been about 20 staff in all and no one knew what they were doing. We felt so sorry for the few members of staff who could speak a bit of English as they had to answer all the questions everyone asked and then pass it on to the others. We were asked at least 3 times what we wanted to drink and eventually we were asked if this is what we ordered and got our drinks after 15 minutes. Such badly trained staff. They looked terrified of the guests and walked around doing little as they did not know what to actually do. It is very frustrating when you want something.

The first day we were there there was no hot water in our room. I asked reception to sort this out and after dinner I asked if it had been done and was told it was. We still had cold water in the sink and tepid in the shower. I asked again the next day and was told it was fixed. The shower slightly warmer sink still cold. Asked again to be told there was no hot water to the sink just cold. We gave up and accepted using cold water in the sink and tepid showers.

There are concrete benches outside the rooms and ours and many of the " cottages " did not have cushions on. I asked twice and did not get one until three days later. When we did get a cushion we returned in the evening to find a cat had given birth to two kittens on it. The cat eventually took off and left one kitten which cried so much I called reception and tried to explain the situation but no one came. Eventually my partner called reception and just said we need security immediately, then they arrived and took the poor kitten away. The cushion stank of after birth and was so stained. The following morning I tried to explain to reception the situation, I even mimed cat noises, took a cushion from a chair and put it to my nose, holding my nose saying smelly. They said they understood and it would be taken care of. It was not. The following day I got the cleaning woman to remove it and she seemed to understand. A further cushion never appeared.

I would expect a bedding change when you stay in a hotel for six days, there was none.

The general manager ( Claude ) stopped us one night after dinner and asked how our stay was. I told him there were several clinches which I could not be bothered at that moment to go through as we were on our way to our room. We had not seen him before and we had been there for 3 days and told him this. He said he had been busy behind the scenes. A pity he was not busy in the front of the scenes making sure the guests are being catered for. He never came anywhere near us again after that brief meeting.

One night when we eat in the restaurant, we were told the big boss was supposed to come but was not anymore as he was ill. It was strange as this day we actually got the outside cushion we had been requesting for for three days and the mini bar which had nothing in was filled and the general manager was around.

We found a general letter in our room explaining the hotel was having trouble getting and training Thai staff. It also apologised for the service but as they had 100% occupancy the service would be basically iffy. Why book the hotel to full occupancy knowing the staff can not cope. Basically the guests suffered to enable the hotel to turn over its maximum income.

Even when we departed we were waiting in the sitting area for our taxi and when it arrived there must have been 6 staff at reception no one said goodbye to us.

We travel a lot and have never posted a bad report on a hotel, this is the first. I have been to Thailand several times and have always thought the service great. However. This hotel needs to spend money on staff training and supporting them managing them and giving them confidence to deal with guests.

4  Thank NGG186338
BeyondKrabi, General Manager at Beyond Resort Krabi, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for having taken the time to write a detailed review about your experience at our resort.

I am sorry to read that there has been a series of shortcomings. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. It is regrettable that we did not create the opportunity to discuss these matters while you were here as a number of the points mentioned could have been addressed during your stay.

We are in the process of updating our web-site with a new series of pictures and also more detailed descriptions about the room categories and the facilities.

The English level of the staff differs from one person to another and this is unfortunately a major challenges new resorts operating in this part of Thailand encounter. We are just in the process of starting a new round of intensive English classes for the staff and we will continue to do so all the way through 2013.

I am sorry if the meals you experienced were not to your satisfaction. In general the feedback about breakfast, dinner buffet and a la carte dishes is positive.

Again please accept my apologies for accumulation of shortcomings hat you have experienced. As you stated, it was a very hectic period for our relatively new operation and more than usual and some avoidable mistakes were made by the team members. However in general the feedback all through the busiest part of the year has been very good. We are now focusing on improving the service levels as well as the facilities and I am confident that we will make very good progress in the weeks and months to come.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Overall, Beyond Krabi was a relaxing and enjoyable experience. I'd recommend it more for families than couples looking for peace and relaxation, however.

Very fortunately, we were upgraded from the cottage to deluxe seaview. The seaview room is in the main complex and does have a lovely view, and nice balcony where you can sit, unwind and have a glass of wine at the end of the day.

Check-in was a very frustrating experience. After presenting our booking and passports, we were ushered to a sofa in the open-concept reception area, given some drinks and fruit, and left to bake on a sofa for almost an hour without so much as an update. I attribute this to hopelessly bad communication skills from the front desk staff, perhaps rooted in low English skills. The room we were eventually given was lovely, but had two single beds instead of a double. This was taken care of after I found the manager's office and complained directly.

We went at peak season (late Dec.) , so understandably there was some overcrowdedness. However, as a quiet couple, we found the other clientele to be generally loud and annoying. There were HERDS of children and screaming babies. In particular, 2-3 loud Indian families with dozens of children made lying by the pool virtually intolerable. I don't think there was a single moment when screaming children couldn't be heard. Beach chairs by the pool have to be gotten early, as they all fill up every day. This is clearly not the resort's fault, but the website and promotional materials seemed to peg this as a romantic place suitable for couples. This may be the case during other times of the year, but not at Christmas-New Years.

Breakfast was reasonable. Having just come from a 5 star hotel in Bangkok, it seemed a little too filled with cereal, toast and juice, with not enough prepared dishes, but it was satisfying and plentiful. On our last day there, all but one of the coffee machines broke down and there was a line-up 10 deep to get a cup of coffee.

If you are the type of person who likes beach towns, this place may not be for you. Transportation is very expensive - 500baht ($15) for a 20 minute cab ride, which would cost $2 in other places.

In summary: nice main building, nice rooms, decent breakfast. Staff mean well, but come off as disorganized and incompetent. Transportation prohibitively expensive. Other guests rude, loud, and annoying. Your experience may vary - the resort is still new, and will probably improve.

Room Tip: Avoid the cottages - they are very far from the main building/pool/restaurant. Deluxe sea view does...

Dear Sir,
thank you for your extensive review and detailed description of your stay with us over Peak Season. It is indeed one of the most hectic times of the year, during which all resorts are fully booked and when facilities and services get stretched. For a new property this is an even more challanging experience. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the shortcomings you have encountered in the service. We are working hard in order continue to improve the service standards. There still is a lack of consistency which we are also focusing on.
During school holidays, most resorts will be visited by a lot of families with children and this does make the swimming pool a more noisy area than at other times of the year. One Resort with an "Adults only" policy is our sister property, Beyond Resort Khao Lak. It is an all-villa style resort on a beautiful stretch of beach in Khao Lak, a one hour drive from Phuket International airport. This might be a good option for your next visit, especially over a school holiday period.

Thank you again for your review. We will be pleased to welcome you back to Beyond Resort Krabi in the future and I am sure you would notice many improvements.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the seaview villa for Christmas 2012.

The location was stunning - beautiful, well-kept beach, ocean dotted with picturesque cliffy islands, a bit of depth for swimming too! Perfect. The view from our balcony was truly "seaview" (not just a little bit of ocean, but a full panoramic view). The pool was beautiful, and other facilities were clean.
The service was not quite 5 star (some slips in room keeping, waiters all stand facing the bar not the tables, confusion at check-out, etc - a bit disappointing for the hiked-up holiday price we were paying). I would not put this down to the staff however - they were well-intended and friendly. Food was reasoable.

A handful of restaurants within walking distance. Of these we found the Beach Front (?)Restaurant (sorry not exact name... left out of the hotel gate and 10 minutes down the road - or at low tide walk to your right along the beach) to be the best!

This area of Krabi was very quiet compared to Ao Nang, with less hotels, less crowded beaches, less hustle-bustle in general. Ao Nang, with more competition, is cheaper for accomodation, for food, to rent scooters, laundry service - everything. But for its tranquility, an unspoiled, less commercialized experience, we found Klong Muang to be just what we were after!

1  Thank holidayholiday74

Dear Sir,
thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are glad to read that you generally enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry to see that you were facing some service issues during your stay. Please be assured that we keep on training the staff and supervisors and that we constantly thrive towards improving our standards. While generally the level of service is getting better there still are lacks in the consistency and we are addressing this.

Thank yo u again and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nong Thale
#21 of 111 in Ao Nang
Centara Grand Beach Resort & Villas Krabi
Ban Sainai Resort Aonang- Thailand
Aonang Cliff Beach Resort

Been to Beyond Resort Krabi? Share your experiences!