“Treated like an old friend. What a terrific good old proper country pub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The White Hart

The White Hart
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Treated like an old friend. What a terrific good old proper country pub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

We have recently moved to the area myself and my husband thought we would treat ourselves to a meal at the White Hart in Bishopstone.It was a weekday lunch time and it was not packed but not quiet either.
I really dislike going into pub type restaurants as I find they are either local pubs for local people or so stuck up you get dizzy just saying hello! I was so pleased to find that this pub is neither of those! It is a traditional village pub with a welcome that makes you stop and think "I must have met these people before because they seem to know me!" So friendly and welcoming. We took awhile to decide what to have as there is a huge range of choice, all what I would term proper pub grub! We eventually decided to have 2 ploughmans, hubby had the cheese I had the ham, (so we could swap each other a piece of cheese for a slice of ham!). It was amazing! None of your packet ham here! Proper home cooked ham and enough cheese to use for the kids lunch boxes for a week! All super fresh and clearly served with pride. Prices are great with pubs nearer town serving half the food at twice the price and none of it tasting as good. The landlord/cook stopped by and said hello as did his good lady wife,both are lovely people as was the lady behind the bar who served us. We were not rushed and it was such a nice relaxing meal.The ploughmans was so nice we finished it all but both were full to bursting so neither of us ate anything else until the next day so it ended up being even better value for money that way as well! We have since been back for a special event they had on, ice cream sundae Sunday, this was every childs dream, we took our girls to it with the intention of just treating them but temptation got too much and both me and my husband ended up gorging on ice cream, sweeties wafers chocolates cream, etc etc, you name it it was there and it was a real family friendly party feel. We plan to visit here as often as we are able and see no reason to venture any further to eat elsewhere. How lucky we are to have this place on our doorstep! Highly recommend to all.

• Visited June 2014

Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Traditional style pub serving good value meals”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

Three of us called into this pub early one Thursday evening to find it virtually empty, apart from a few locals drinking at the bar.
Later in the evening it filled up a bit, but it certainly deserves to be better patronised. There is a wide variety of dishes and the prices represent good value. Two of us opted for a ploughman's and the other a cottage pie served with a variety of vegetables. The Cheddar ploughman's was one of the best (and biggest) I have had for a long time: fresh warm crusty bread, a generous portion of cheese, salad, pickles and apple. As it was not very busy, the chef came out of the kitchen, so we were able to compliment him on the meals. The bar and waiting staff were friendly.
The pub is traditionally decorated and some might say it needs updating/redecorating, but it is clean and tidy. It is not trying to be a restaurant and charging restaurant prices, as so many pubs are doing these days. Well done.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank kittyginger
Crantock, United Kingdom
“Fantastic find....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

We have just spent a week in Broadchalke and after eating in a couple of pubs which were recommended by the place we stayed in (not a good choice) we passed this pub and saw it advertised steak nights so we gave it a go....And boy were we in for a treat,the first night we went I had the home made chicken curry with popudums and mango chutney and OH MY LORD it was so melt in the mouth ,the flavour was amazing,I mentioned to the waitress how good it was and the chef came out to speak to us and thank us for our comments.We discovered he was the landlord and I must add the place was run absolutely first class,the staff were polite happy and friendly which makes a change from the pubs in our area!!!
On our last night we had the steaks and they were so good again melt in the mouth,they were cooked to perfection and the stilton sauce I had was the best ever ,If we could have persuaded the landlord/chef to come back to cornwall with us we would eat out every night....
The log fire in the bar area was very welcoming as were the locals sat at the bar,all in all a very friendly pub well worth a visit....

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank CEDREKLY
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Very good grub.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Popping in there en route to a wedding at bowerchalke, I decided to try the vegeterian parcel, it was well presented and hot, when I tucked in to it it was very tasty. The people who I travelled with had the fish and the rack of lamb, they both told me that they also liked the food. It's a true counrty/village pub, try it If you are passing....well done to you.

• Visited April 2014
poole
“The Chef ate all the pies!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

On a day out at Wilton House for an antique fair, we were casting about for a good pub lunch and having drawn a blank in Wilton found ourselves in Bishopstone on the Broadchalke road. Entering the White Hart Inn on a miserable day ,we were met by a welcoming real log fire and a very busy restaurant and bar, it being the middle of Sunday lunch service. We were found seating and having transported a pint of Doom bar and Thatcher's Gold to our table were informed that our food might be a while as they were rather busy. Content to sip our drinks, enter the jolly Chef who apologised for the delay [ which we found quite acceptable]] and then went on a tour of the tables to no doubt check how people were enjoying his food, I had chosen the traditional Sunday roast beef, and my partner, the Sole, which when they arrived were generously proportioned and tasty with a good selection of fresh vegetables on the side dish. Enter our amiable friend from the kitchens to be assured that we were indeed enjoying our food very much and so to another grand tour of the room to our great amusement. We still found room for apple crumble and custard. Replete with what turned out to be a very substantial meal, we were lingering over the last of our drinks when who should appear to clear our plates?. It was not one of the two pretty young waitresses. Don't ask!.

• Visited March 2014