“great fishing and hospitality at Gaston's”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lakeview
Gaston's White River Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lakeview
Saint Louis, Missouri
“great fishing and hospitality at Gaston's”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

we arrived at Gaston's and could not believe the beautiful setting that it was located in. the cabins were very clean and right on the White River.You can step out of the cabin and be right at the river edge. There were many many boats available for fishing. There is also someone there to clean the fish that you catch as well as cook the fish you caught.

The food at the restaurant was truly exellent as well as the atmosphere. the restraunt and gift shop were decorated with many many antique boat motors, bicycles,signs and all sorts of other antiques hanging everywhere. Very interesting to look at.

We will definately be back. Great trip!

Room Tip: ask for a cabin clos to the lodge as the cabins run along the river and can be far from the lodge an...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your support of Gaston's and your VERY kind remarks ... With the support of folks like you we would not be be here ... each we are seeing bit more of the upcoming fall color.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Gaston's is the kind of place that exceeds all expectations! The property is beautiful, clean and well kept. The food is amazing. My room was expectionally clean with lots of big fluffy pillows and a great shower. Most importantly the entire staff are some of the most friendliest folks you will ever meet, who provide outstanding customer service all the way around! From the time I called to make a reservation to the moment I checked out - I was treated to impeccible service. And, I wasn't even there for a full 24 hours; but nonetheless I had an incredible experience! My only regret is that I couldn't stay longer...so this definitely is a place I plan to visit again.
I did a road trip from Naperville, IL to Mountain Home, AK on August 31 to visit my grandmother's gravesite. The trip was a one-nighter during the Labor Day holiday weekend. Everything I read about this area said it was known for some of the best fishing in the world. So to take advantage of the fishing and do a little sightseeing, I decided to stay at a waterfront resort rather than a small hotel in town. As a young girl visiting my grandparents way back when, I've been to both the Norfolk and Bull Shoals Lakes, but I've never been to the White River. So my choices were set...fishing, the White River and a resort on the water...Gaston's not only met that criteria, they are also the only resort in the area that actually has a full restaurant on the premises - that sold me right there. When I arrived I realized very quickly that they are a full service resort with so much to offer than one person could see in a day, or even a week.
I reserved a bedroom at their lowest rate for 1 night and really didn't expect much - not only did I have a waterfront view, but it was clean and much bigger than the what pictures showed on their website. The restaurant is amazing with an absolutely breathtaking view of the White River. Had dinner and the Sunday Brunch. The food is really good and the portions are huge...way more than I could eat in one sitting. All along the windows they have hummingbird feeders - it was really neat to watch them flutter and swoop and feed while we ate. However, what was truly impressive was watching the mist roll in on the White River. Our waiter told us that is why the White River is called the White River...the mist is white, deep and very thick - absolutely like nothing I've ever seen before. We walked along the edge of the river as it got darker and as the mist got taller - you could not see your hand in front of your face it was that dense. I tried to fish, but gave up pretty quickly when I couldn't see where my line went in or even where the water was. I wish I could say this was the highlight, it certainly was 2nd from the top. No doubt, the highlight for me was catching 3 nice rainbow trout early Sunday morning. I tried fishing late Saturday afternoon using lures, but it was just way too hot to catch anything. Sunday morning I got up at 6:30 am to give it another try. I went to the office to buy some bait. I asked for the best option as I only had 2 hours to fish before I had to take off...Logan recommended using worms and a leader hook. I wasn't crazy about using worms, but I was amazed at how quickly those trout went after my worms. Now while I was happy with 3 fish, there was a couple who caught their limit and them some even before I started and I think they were using corn. So I have to agree with all of the reviews in that this is a great place to fish...and to stay! If I have one constructive criticism, it's that they really need to redesign their website. I was very hesitant to choose them because their website was so outdated. But to give them the benefit, almost all of the resorts in the area need to update their websites. So definitely listen to these reviews you see here on Trip Advisors - they are worth their weight in gold!
Thanks Gatson's for an incredible time! I'll be back soon...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Wow thank you <blushing> ... An update that might be of interest ... we just purchase 50+ flat screen TV's for updates ... please after many years we have been able to find an excellent Internet service. Website? this past month we went live with our new smart phone website.

Any suggestions you may have on our website would be MOST welcome.

Once our season comes to an end; we will be making major up-grades to a number of our cottages.

Once again thank you !!!

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Arrived at Gaston office at the appointed time. Assigned guide was still home in bed. Guide arrived, clad only in shorts and shoes, and escorted us to boat which was littered with debris, i.e., bait, snack trash, bits of line, sinkers, etc..Guide spent considerable time telling us what a fine fellow he was and how many customers returned and requested his services. Paid for full day with lunch. Guide returned us to Gaston's around noon and said he would meet us at l p.m. Water was high and turbulent in PM; ergo, we fished only an hour or so without success. On the whole, a disappointing experience. Have fished with independent guides who were smartly clad, immaculately clean boats, professional conduct and made the trip enjoyable. Gaston's does provide a nice view from the outdoor dining area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John H
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your trip to the White River and Gaston's. I am also sorry that you did not reply to my request for more detailed information so that I could have taken care of the problem.

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

I've been going to Gastons for years and it keeps getting better and better. Flying in on the grass strip was one thing I can check off my bucket list, very exciting.
This trip we rode up and had dinner and it was great as always. The view is second to none and the service was excellent.
Even got to visit with Jim in the gift shop before we left. Great guy! Great place, thanks Jim!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Xmikex98
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you ... we work hard each day to make Gaston's better ... Today we ordered 50+ new flat screen TV's ... Living in a rural area we have never be pleased with our internet ... now we have went for 1.5mbps to 6.5mbps :-).
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Not a more beautiful spot on the river, and the fishing is the best in the world! The lodging is great, the food is outstanding, and the staff really know how to take care of you. I can't wait to get back, it really doesn't cost any more to go First Class!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ArkansasDude2013
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thanks for the very kind comments ... Looking forward to seeing y'all again !!!!

Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you are a fisherman Gaston's is the place you want to vacation. The trout fishing is superb. The cabin was comfortable, roomy and clean. There was a beautiful view of the river. The restaurant is unique and the food is very good. The staff is friendly and helpful. I would recommend Gaston's as a great place to relax and make some memories.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
jimgaston, Owner at Gaston's White River Resort, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thanks !!! It is always great news when we learn that folks enjoy the White River and Gaston's.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Amazing dinner with my wife and little girl at Gaston's Restaurant. The service was great and the view topped it all off. We look to make a return trip this fall and stay at the resort. Hope the stay is just as good as the food.

• Stayed September 2013
Pleased that y'all enjoyed your visits to Gaston's ... Looks like we are going enjoy excellent fall color this year :-)

Jim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeview
Hampton Inn Mountain Home
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Mountain Home
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 16 in Mountain Home

Been to Gaston's White River Resort? Share your experiences!