All reviews trout nature trail great fishing fishing trip bull shoals the cottages fried chicken state park long weekend picnic tables the entire staff fridge and microwave fly fish chef rick gastons fireplace arkansas
Reviewed September 12, 2011

There is nothing quite like Gastons. You will feel like family by the time you leave. The people are great, the River is spectacular and the food was wonderful. Oooo

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Gaston's is an old fashioned, family, fishing resort that sits right on the river. The cabins are out of the 60's and aren't fancy, but they are exceptionally clean, plenty of towels, and decent beds (although the blankets could stand replacing). My husband and I just get a basic hotel room, but there are cabins with kitchen facilities, which I highly recommend if you have kids as the resturant is medicore and expensive (more about that later). If you don't have your own boat, you can rent a john boat for the day at a reasonable price, as well as a fishing guide if you want. It's virtually impossible to get lost on the river, so even a novice can navigate it easily. There is also a nice swimming pool and some nice hiking trails laid out. However, beyond that, there isn't a lot to do, although there is a lot in the area.

For any pilots who might be reading this, there is a grass landing strip that runs right in front of the resort. The strip is well maintained, but there are no lights, so plan accordingly. We always call ahead to check the condition of the strip. There is a municipal airport nearby that we have used when the weather was iffy and the resort will come pick you up.

The problem with flying in is that unless you are bringing food and plan to cook yourself, you are stuck eating at the resort restaurant. The ambience is nice. But the service and food are mediocre at best and it is VERY expensive. One night I had the salad bar and my husband had fried chicken. That ,with 2 glasses of house wine and 2 beers and the tab was over $80. Service is spotty. A few of the servers try, but at these prices, you expect servers to be better trained.

Don't get me wrong. We like Gaston's and fly up from Dallas about once a year to get away from the Texas heat for a weekend. But we would probably go more often if the restaurant were better.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank pilot123Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We loved this place! We stayed in a four bedroom bungalow with a shared (huge) living area, complete with fireplace and kitchen overlooking the White River. It was magical. The wildlife is abundant. The river is perfectly still in the mornings and a mist lays over it. When you walk to the edge, you can see it is shallow and you can wade out to fly fish. They start generating around 9 am and after that you can't stand in there. It gets deep quickly. We took a guide trip early one morning and ran far up the river and caught lots of rainbow trout and a few really nice browns. Our guides were from Stetson's and they were super. The food at Gastons is very good and the restaurant hangs out over the river, so the view is wide open on 3 sides.

Room tip: Get one over looking the river
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Great place for a business meeting. The accommodations were perfect for a group of ten or so, the views were unbeatable of the White River, and it was very easy to get to. The one negative issue was the evening service in the restaurant, which I was very excited to try after hearing such great things about it. Right off the bat the hostess/waitress seemed to be bothered by the fact our group of eight wanted to eat. She asked for reservations, which we had none as this is a glorified fishing camp. This cranked her ire up a notch, even though the place was less than a quarter full. We finally got a table, but not by the water like we had requested, because those were taken. We were in there over an hour and a half and nobody ever sat in those window tables. The food. Well, for $28 for stuffed shrimp I was very disappointed, they were about the size you get at long john silvers and were fairly bland. Another in our group had the steak, said it tasted faintly of lighter fluid. I would just think that for the prices the food and the staff could have been a few notches more professional. I would go back for the fishing, but I'll bring my own food or eat elsewhere.

Room tip: All rooms are on the water, great location.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank MoHog
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Place looked nice so went to book. The receptionist was fine. She told me all the standard double rooms ($85) were gone but they had a couple of family rooms left with a King and 2 singles. These were $160 per night. As I was a solo guest and it was 7.30 p.m. I asked if she could do it for $100 for me. To set the scene there was a full on thunderstorm with heavy rain and lightening outside, and I was on a motorbike. I asked her to ask the manager if she could do this and he, in the true spirit of professional hospitality and sympathy for a guy on a bike in a thunderstorm, said "No. I'll probably fill these rooms". So back onto my bike and off to book elsewhere. Never again. This is as bad a reception as you could get and he should be proud of himself. Well done. Yes...you have the right to book at whatever rate you want...but not in those circumstances

Date of stay: August 2010