“Not Up to Former Expectations”

Gaston's White River Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Lakeview
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Have eaten here many times in the past 25+ years. Always bring friends here when we enjoy the fishing on the white river. Had a party of8 this October, and it was sadly just not up to snuff. It took forever to get our food the it was from warm to cold. Seems they had shut down for the season but left the doors open with a skeleton staff. Had to take a late reservation and the place was nearly empty. Was a real embarrassment when bringing a large group to what was once a quality place. Hope it was a one time mess.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were camping down the road at the state park and decided to see what Gaston's had on their menu. When we arrived we were asked if we had reservations, which we did not, but regardless they were able to get us a table. Not just any table but one right on the river. What a view. Their menu offers a nice variety of choices and they all sounded good. We ordered the sauteed prawns and a half rack of ribs. The portions were very generous and the food was great. Great food, great view, and realizable prices - you just can't beat it!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Just ate at the most beutiful resturant in Arkansas, great hand cut ribeye! The view of the white river from our table was breath taking... had a after dinner drink in the bar and the bartender Troy was very funny and we WILL be back MANY more times! Thank you to ALL the GASTON`S staff

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This restaurant is completely surrounded by windows - even if you don't have a table by the window, you can still take advantage of the view. With so many hummingbird feeders all along the windows, you can watch these birds flutter, swoop and feed all day long. At dusk is when the show begins as the mist rolls in on the White River...absolutely impressive. Ate there for dinner and Sunday Brunch. For dinner we had the Trout Almondine and Fried Catfish. The food was amazing and the portions are huge. I felt so bad when the waiter came to take my plate, I just could not eat so much food in one sitting. But I guess when you spend a day out on the river fishing you work up an appetite. So if you are a hungry fisherman, then their portions will definitely satisfy even the largest appetite. The Sunday brunch is impressive and definitely worth doing at least once.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

A group of us recently drove to Gaston's for lunch. I ordered a roasted red pepper vegie sandwhich. When it arrived, it was a turkey sandwhich, so I showed it to the waiter, who took it to the kitchen. The waited returend with the exact same sandwich and said that the "cook said this is a roasted red pepper sandwich." I again showed him that there were no red peppers on the sandwhich and that there was turkey on it. He said he'd take off my bill if I didn't want it. I asked how long for a different sandwhich and he said 25-30 minutes, even though my group was already eating. I chose not to eat. Later one of the group asked for additional dressing for her salad and the waiter said additional dressing would be 95 cents. I asked to speak to the restaurant manager and was told that he was in the bar and if I wanted to speak with him I could go in there-he would not come to our table. I went into the bar and explained all that had happened, fully expecting him to either comp my wife's lunch--she only had a salad--or offer us some kind of discount on a future meal. He did absolutely nothing. He did not care in the slightest if Gaston's customers were treated fairly or not or if they were given the actual food they orfered. In fact, his entire demeanor suggested that the problem would be solved if we would simply leave.

Arkansas is full of great resorts and very good restaurants. Gaston's has proven itself to be neither of these. Do not waste you vacation or your money going here. There are too many good places in Arkansas and along the White River to suffer the abuse that Gaston's gives to its customers.