We opted for an extended stay at ABS after our tour around Kerala and we were not disappointed in our decision. We stayed in Nagaswaram Cottage in mid-February and its location and beach views are as described on their web site. The arrangement of the cottage is quirky to say the least as it was two small individuals cottage in a previous existence which has been converted into one very spacious cottage with completely separate toilet and shower facilities (both open to the private rear garden).
At the time of booking our agent hard advised us that ABS did not provide all the usual facilities and features associated with a traditional beach hotel, i.e. no evening entertainment, no bar, etc., etc. This may not be to everyone’s taste but if you are looking for peace and tranquillity in a very special location, look no-further. ABS does not have a formal reception and when we arrived, (slightly ahead of normal check-in time) we were taken straight to our cottage where everything was explained. Of particular note is the cell phone located in each room which is pre-loaded with the phone numbers for all staff so that all request are just a call away.
ABS offers “veranda service” for all meals and this proved to be a real treat during our stay. Domenic and Richard provide guests with this “butler type” service and always ensure there is an adequate supply of cold drinking water in your cottage.
The grounds and pool of ABS are lovely with several hammocks strategically located under shady coconut palms and proved to be an extremely pleasant way of enjoying the heat whilst enjoying the sea breeze and shade. It would be remiss of us not to mention the beach – it provides guests with the possibility of long walks in either direction but as previous reviews have mentioned, it is a working beach with fishing boats setting out every morning and this brings with it Indian practices. However, this did not spoil or effect our enjoyment although we decided not to venture into the sea and used the lovely pool instead.
Other reviews have explained how Chef Binu visits to discuss evening meals and they catered for our non-vegetarian/vegetarian requirements admirably. There is also a dedicated tuk-tuk (driven by Shaji) available at ABS
As we had booked one of ABS’s extended stay packages we qualified for two tours, namely a full day excursion into the backwaters with lunch at a small homestay and an evening meal at a local restaurant. Both of these experiences proved to be extremely enjoyable and the evening meal involved a night drive in the tuk-tuk, (highly exciting!!). The homestay lunch with the owner and her daughters was one of our highlights of the whole Keralan experience.
On reflection, we had a fabulous time at ABS and would recommend to visitors who are looking for something which offers peace and tranquillity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape from work to paradise! Where dreams come true for those looking for a perfect relaxing holiday.Only 4 separate cottages set in a coconut tree beach garden. Hammocks around the property, completely furnished super spacious verandab with relaxing and dining set, all the meals served on your veranda & All cottages have AC (even the extra room in Khombu has a separate one). A common swimming pool (15 x 5 meter) with plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas. We really look after you to guarantee a perfect stay because holidays are precious. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your A Beach Symphony reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- a Beach Symphony Hotel Alappuzha
- A Beach Symphony Kerala/Mararikulam, India