Having just returned from an intriguing tour of India, finishing our trip with diving in the Maldives, we just felt compelled to issue this Review of “A Beach Symphony” (ABS) as it is, in our opinion, one of the most relaxing and charming places we have ever stayed. With just 4 villas/ex-fisherman cottages, built in traditional Keralan style but each with subtle differences, it is our little piece of paradise, particularly as it is situated in a beautiful area of Kerala (at Mararikulam not far from Aleppey (spelt locally as “Alappuzha”). Food is fantastic particularly if you like curries. Meals are mainly Keralan-type curries but there is a choice of pasta/fish as alternatives. All meals are served “butler-style”, but referred to as “patio-service” as it is very informal, just outside of each villa which brings a charming touch to a magical place. The owners, Christel & Jan Arryn are delightful hosts and ensure that your every need is covered.
ABS is situated near the backwaters of Aleppey, adjacent to Marari beach, so a few hundred metre walk gets you onto a 20-mile plus stretch of deserted pure white sand. Over our 10-day stay we came across about half a dozen people, except for the local fishermen, during our daily beach visits which came as a complete contrast after the bustle of of the rest of India.
The local fishermen still use traditional fishing methods in long-boats. Each catch, which usually consists of thousands of small “matee” (very similar to sprats) is dried on copra mats. Catches have to be rapidly covered in light netting much to the annoyance of the local eagles who attempt to steal the catches by dive-bombing whilst the fishermen are laying out their hard-earnt bounties.
In summary our stay at ABS is relaxing and very enjoyable and we would highly recommend it but please don’t book the Violin villa when we would like it !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape from work to paradise! Where dreams come true for those looking for a perfect relaxing holiday.Only 4 separate cottages set in a coconut tree beach garden. Hammocks around the property, completely furnished super spacious verandab with relaxing and dining set, all the meals served on your veranda & All cottages have AC (even the extra room in Khombu has a separate one). A common swimming pool (15 x 5 meter) with plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas. We really look after you to guarantee a perfect stay because holidays are precious. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your A Beach Symphony reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- a Beach Symphony Hotel Alappuzha
- A Beach Symphony Kerala/Mararikulam, India