Some may feel I'm being harsh but I think it's wise to bring balance to the glorious reviews from most other people and hopefully CGH Management read reviews and make changes where possible.
Firstly I agree with most of the great things people say ie amazing beach, setting, staff, massages etc as they are all excellent.
My disappointments firstly came in the form of the beds, bed covers and pillows. Beds are rock hard with poor covers and terrible fibre pillows that are incredibly uncomfortable. Personally when I go on holiday I am looking for a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed as it helps me recharge, this was one of the worst I have slept in and I travel extensively. Now CGH know what a good sleeping experience is but they don't apply it across their portfolio (very poor at Spice Village, Marari and especially Spice coast cruises). We had just come from Eighth Bastion in Kochi (another CGH property) and the beds, pillows etc were fantastic. At this price bracket I would always expect this level of comfort in the West never mind India. (What really made us laugh is that Eighth Bastion was the cheapest hotel we stayed in their portfolio yet has the best food, service, beds and rooms)
Secondly food, our experience wasn't very good, undercooked prawns as an example, some poor breakfast foods and seafood we found very pricey for what you get ie one night we had a sea bass between us which cost £40!!!.
There were a few other things such as why on earth put seating outside on the balconies when all you can see is the inside of your thatched roof and I agree about the mozzies, they are prevalent at this property but hey that's something I guess you put up with.
A few changes could make all the difference so CGH need to step up if they are to charge western prices but not deliver on what I believe are the core essentials.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An eco resort run by CGH Earth on the beach at Mararikulam, kerala ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Marari Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marari Beach Hotel Alappuzha
- Marari Beach Resort Kerala/Mararikulam, India