“To being balance to other reviews..”

and 1 more site!
Marari Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Mararikulam
“To being balance to other reviews..”
Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Some may feel I'm being harsh but I think it's wise to bring balance to the glorious reviews from most other people and hopefully CGH Management read reviews and make changes where possible.
Firstly I agree with most of the great things people say ie amazing beach, setting, staff, massages etc as they are all excellent.
My disappointments firstly came in the form of the beds, bed covers and pillows. Beds are rock hard with poor covers and terrible fibre pillows that are incredibly uncomfortable. Personally when I go on holiday I am looking for a good nights sleep in a comfortable bed as it helps me recharge, this was one of the worst I have slept in and I travel extensively. Now CGH know what a good sleeping experience is but they don't apply it across their portfolio (very poor at Spice Village, Marari and especially Spice coast cruises). We had just come from Eighth Bastion in Kochi (another CGH property) and the beds, pillows etc were fantastic. At this price bracket I would always expect this level of comfort in the West never mind India. (What really made us laugh is that Eighth Bastion was the cheapest hotel we stayed in their portfolio yet has the best food, service, beds and rooms)
Secondly food, our experience wasn't very good, undercooked prawns as an example, some poor breakfast foods and seafood we found very pricey for what you get ie one night we had a sea bass between us which cost £40!!!.
There were a few other things such as why on earth put seating outside on the balconies when all you can see is the inside of your thatched roof and I agree about the mozzies, they are prevalent at this property but hey that's something I guess you put up with.
A few changes could make all the difference so CGH need to step up if they are to charge western prices but not deliver on what I believe are the core essentials.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 1Bramble

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The resort is so incredibly beautiful, from the lobby to the pathways that lead us to our villa and the surrounding beach. Staff greeted us with a flower garlands and a coconut drink, dressed in Kerala finery (which means gold and white saris). Our check in was handled most professionally and they took time to explain to us the resort layout and type of activities available. The villa was very well designed with quality furnishing and lo and behold, an outdoor bathroom enveloped in greenery. It is also spacious, with a patio where you can just sit and take in the natural landscape. The resort has a private strip of beach which is first of all, really clean and more importantly, quite empty. Waters are warm although the waves can be a bit challenging later in the day. We did nothing but swim, sleep and eat. Participated in a farm kitchen experience where our dinner was picked from the organic farm in the premises. Meals were hearty in the central restaurant. Most folks prefer to hang out at the pool but we love the sun loungers spread across the property. Had stomach cramps due to some unclean seafood from our houseboat trip and the in house ayurvedic centre cured it completely with a powdered medication that tastes lile sawdust. But it works! Will definitely be back again, if only the prices are not that steep. Its always fully booked out so do check with the hotel directly. Worth every single penny.

Room Tip: Get the villas facing nearer to the sea.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacklyn N
nyc
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I visited from New York in December with my parents, my wife, and our two small boys (8 and 11). From the warm greeting at the front desk (fresh coconuts with straws), the wonderful huts with outdoor shower/toilet, huge pristine swimming pool, clean white sandy beach with mind boggling sunsets, it was a once in a lifetime experience.

Two people from the resort stand out - Hari, who managers the restaurant and always has a smile on his face, and JiJo the resident naturalist whose knowledge and personality made a deep impression on us.

The only truly bad experience was the Christmas Celebration. The decorations, food, and traditional carols were great. But the comedy script was vulgar, absurd, made us very uncomfortable and was totally unnecessary. I would suggest that management make sure that such a farce is never presented again.

All in all a wonderful experience and highly recommended if you can afford it.

Room Tip: We stayed in cottage 8 and 9. Both faced the Indian Pond and were very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jjjjjjjNyc
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This places is my favourite in Kerala and have been here several times. This resort boasts of repeat customers, and have people across the globe visiting here every year. Being from Kerala, this is one place which has captured the beauty of Kerala in its essence. The staff are super friendly, and if you have toddlers they just take care of them as though they ran a professional creche; giving you the much needed time for a quite dinner with your spouse.

The food is excellent and the cottages eligently designed. The beach is fantastic. It may be a bit expensive during peak season, but is worth every single penny.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mogaan
London
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights during a trip to Kerala over the Christmas period and really enjoyed my stay. The room was immaculate, with a good fan and aircon system. The resort itself is pretty big (62 rooms) so it can be a bit of a (confusing) walk to the main hotel area or beach.

The best bit- the beach- clean, nearly empty even at peak time, calm water (in December) and stunning views of the fisherman going out daily. We even saw a dolphin from the sand once.

The Farm Kitchen (organic cooking class) and daily yoga were good fun.

The swimming pool is a great size, though the water could be a bit cooler for me. The breakfast room was a little dark, though the breakfast itself was a good selection of Western and Indian classics like dosas, curries, fruit, pancakes, french toast, omelettes etc.

We didn't try the dinner buffet at 1500-2000 rupees per person (£15-20, can't remember!) seeing the price as too much for two people who probably wouldn't be eating in bulk. Instead we went to the seafood restaurant near the beach (with a much lovelier view and ambience) and got fresh fish/scampi/prawns/lobster with rice and vegetables for between 1200 and 1600 rupees. The wine and beer, as with everywhere else in Kerala, is pricey.

We also got a tuktuk into Alleppey some evenings for dinner- much cheaper and a great deal more options. There and back cost about 400 with waiting time.

My only other main complaint would be that, for perhaps aesthetic reasons, the resort is dotted with ponds of varying size- the result is mosquitoes- lots of the them. In fact we got bitten more here than anywhere else in Kerala, and that was even after dousing ourselves in deet...

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Overall, we had a lovely time and may well return one day- though it will have to be in the off-peak season- £250 a night is just too much!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank L_Smash
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Delighted and charmed, again and will be returning on the next visit. Amazing staff with a great cuisine... The 'Farm Kitchen, is a must with the picking of fresh organic produce from the garden, helping in the cutting and preparation to the detailed explanation and cooking and finally, eating. A beautiful and tasty experience. Almost, if not a nature retreat from the entrance at the reception to the pristine beach in this vast and beautiful place. Need we say more???

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 14, 2013

My parents live in Kochi but my husband, who is American, and I live in the US. I wanted to introduce my husband to Kerala culture and also give my elderly parents a break, and this seemed like a good enough option. Little did I expect the perfection of our time there. The staff were warm and sweet and thoughtful all the time, going out of their way to notice our needs and fulfill them even without being asked. The yoga in the morning held by Gopal and the meditation in the evenings by Krishna Kuruppu were calm and peaceful and restorative and the ideal way to start and end the day (and I don't even like yoga when I am in the US!!). The two men were thoroughly impressive at 70 and 75 years respectively, by how supple and fit they were and the wisdom of their instructions - made me want to start yoga as soon as I got back! I am still amazed that one place could have surpassed both my parents', my husband's, and my expectations all at the same time. The beach grill restaurant was a fun place to be with the multi-talented staff getting up and singing old Malayalam and Hindi songs that anyone could recognize - it even got my 84 year old father up and singing songs from his childhood! The beach was pristine and the coconut grove leading up to it idyllic, with its hammocks and the bar closeby. We even went out to the beach late one night and saw an army of crabs fleeing from us. The club house was a nice retreat from the mid day sun and we played games and watched movies in there. The doctors and staff at the Ayurveda center were warm and leisurely in chatting with us and diagnosing our various conditions, the rejuvenation massages were thorough and we walked out feeling rejuvenated. The management, from the restaurant manager to the housekeeping manager, to all the staff, all exuded the same qualities of sincerity and warmth and humor and concern, and all without being intrusive in any way...how did the resort balance this so naturally? The seafood restaurant was the only place that was not truly worth the expense - the ambience was romantic and beautiful but the food could have been more memorable. One evening, there was an Ottanthullil performance which was outstanding - I have never seen this dance form and my parents were quite prepared to be bored, but very soon into the performance, all four of us found ourselves throwing our heads back and laughing in delight - I looked the man up on youtube and found out that his name is Maruthorvattom Kannan - what a talent!! At one point, the staff invited us to witness one of their staff birthday parties in their staff cafeteria - what a fun time that was - they had songs and skits and we were given front seats! The naturalist Daniel who walked us around the property to show us the eco-friendly techniques used by the resort was knowledgeable and accommodated us outside the scheduled touring time. We walked around the vegetable and butterfly gardens and the security guard pointed out interesting things along the way. My father enjoyed the music lessons with Benny in the morning, and has now returned home to resume playing the organ. The rooms and the bathrooms were charming, and sitting outside in the verandah in a sudden evening thunderstorm was magical. We were sad to leave - the physical beauty of the place, the activities that made every day novel, the sense of having walked into the most welcoming and genuine of families - we thank God for all of you who made this trip so perfect for us. You were outstanding! Oh, and did I mention that on the last day, I mentioned to Suraj, the manager, that my parents were both celebrating birthdays, and the whole staff brought out a cake, with a scroll with all their signatures, made out to the "best couple". This was truly Kerala at its very best. When I saw how well you all do your work, it inspires me to do my best at my job...Forgive me that I do not remember all your names, but Suraj, Shiva, Maya and all of you, we will remember you and we wish you much blessing for the blessing you were to us.

-Sara Varghese
(as well as Richard Green, and my parents Mr. and Mrs. Varghese, whose sentiments I have included here)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank sara v
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mararikulam
Xandari Pearl
Vivanta by Taj - Kumarakom
Kumarakom Lake Resort
Kumarakom Lake Resort
#4 of 26 in Kumarakom

Been to Marari Beach Resort? Share your experiences!