“A mix of locals and guests”
Review of Hotel Orchidee

Hotel Orchidee
Hotel Orchidee
Ranked #4 of 30 Sosua B&B and Inns
massachusetts
“A mix of locals and guests”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

We chose Orchidee because we did not want to be stuck in a resort, feeling the chains of staying there because we paid for an all inclusive. Not having ever been to DR, I was not sure I was making the right decision, but was reassured by the many, many positive reviews here about what a great guy Ben is (I used a free language translator to read them since most were not in English).

I'm SO glad we decided to stay here (and I"m here right now as I write this). We rented the 2BR apartment so we could each have our own room. It's modest, but spacious with a living room, kitchen, two decent sized bedrooms and a nice, up to date bathroom (with HOT water - I read many reviews where the water was spotty). There is no air conditioning and I am the type of person who sleeps with mine on every night because I am a fussy sleeper. I did not need it; the fan and breeze were sufficient.

Ben is great. He arranged to have us picked up at the airport for $20 and came out to greet me by name as soon as we arrived. He showed us the room first, then helped answer some basics for us like where to get money changed (he has a guy come to you from across the street and stands there with you while the exchange is made) and it was only when I asked him how we pay that he addressed the question. He left it up to me whether I paid up front or later. I paid up front as it felt like that was the right thing to do and in cash. No receipt, no problem, no worries.

Right next door to the apartment there is a very nice resort and you can use their gorgeous pool. We bought drinks to just to make sure we weren't taking advantage of them.

People are friendly in Sosua, most saying "Hola" to you as you pass by. Quite refreshing considering no one does this in the states unless they know you. I have not checked out the night life because I'm here to scuba (also a great experience which I'll write about later), but there is a lot of prostitution and it's sad to see so many beautiful young ladies who need to make money this way, but it's legal here and people need to make a living. Oddly enough this has no effect on how I feel walking down the street, however.

At Orchidee, Ben rents to both visitors and locals. It so happens since there are 2BR apts. we ended up staying next to a mother and her kids who were very nice and friendly as well as quiet. As I understand it, it's more likely that visitors will rent the single units so if you want to feel a little more like you are staying with locals try to get an apt. We love it.

Good luck with your travels!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank ClassyDemon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed at this boutique hotel for a week the end of September. Great hotel! Great Manager! Great location! Oh, and Great prices too. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and quiet. The hotel is away from the street, so the motoconcho noise fades away. Security is superb.

Ben - the manager - is an excellent host. Speaks 5-6 languages and will tell you where to go, how to get there and what to do (and what not to do :) )

The restaurant they have on premises is very nice too. Great food, reasonable prices.

Overall, I don't think you will find a better hotel for the price, as far as location, accommodations, and security.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank Qua8Frankly
Calgary
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I discovered this hotel quite by accident during a recent trip to the Dominican and was pleasantly surprised by what a wonderful experience I left with. The hotel lacks the stuffiness of nearby resorts and offers its visitors a welcoming, home-like comfort. Ben, the owner, is knowledgable about the country and places to go that are off the beaten path. The staff are friendly and are always ready to lend a helping hand. All in all, I had a positive experience and would recommend this to all those thinking of making the DR the next stop on their trip.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank AirJon
gary
Reviewed March 23, 2010

the hotel was super clean and very safe run very well i could not say the same for any of the other hotels i stayed at stay at this hotel gary pond usa ct.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple