“Almost perfect.”

Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

It seems that almost every place we've stayed there has been something not quite right. Too noisy, too hot (no a/c or working fan), overpriced, bad location etc. Casa Valeria, as others have shared is very good. Clean, updated room tastefully decorated. Thoughtful mini bar. Cable TV. Even a new iron. Pool is small but nice. Everyone is friendly. So why 4 stars? The world's most uncomfortable pillows. Sounds so small but when you are tossing and turning at 3am after a long drive the day before you'll be equally frustrated at such a small oversight. Imagine someone rolled up 30 pairs of socks into 30 tight balls and then stuffed them into a pillowcase. Today, neck is jacked. So stay here for sure. Just check the pillow before you turn in for the night!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 01256ngo
arien v, Owner at Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Many thanks to your kind review with a lot of good things and one bad thing....... We have checked all the pillows and replaced "the world most uncomfortable pillows" by new and comfortable ones. Hope you will have the opportunety to to test them soon!!!!

all the best from all at Casa Valeria

Reviewed September 26, 2013

I cannot say enough nice things about this place and its staff. It is an oasis of quiet tranquility literally steps away from the Sosua nightlife. It's amazing how you feel like you step into another world when you enter the hotel, but you're back in the party within minutes when you want to be. The room (I was in Room 1) was small but spotlessly clean and tastefully appointed. There was a nice private patio facing the pool. Arien and Frank (Frank - good luck with the coming baby!) are super nice and helpful, and the cleaning and restaurant girls are a delight to be around and always full of smiles. Almost all the staff speaks English. The restaurant has great America, European, Mexican, and Dominican hot breakfasts for $5, coffee and juice included (at least they didn't charge me for the beverages) that they serve till well into the afternoon (see above mentioned Sosua nightlife to see why that's a great thing!) I'm going back to Sosua soon and was very disappointed to learn that Casa Valeria had no availability during my dates, but the owners were nice enough to point me to another hotel that they recommended. Casa Valeria was a delightful experience ... I travel a lot and this ranks among my favorite small hotels.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Bud4242
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We walked a lot around Sosua during a 6 week stay at a condo.
Breakfast of French toast and gouda cheese was delicious. I had not had that before and enjoyed making it at home afterwards. My husband had the fruit parfait with yogurt.
Nice portion nice.
We went back for lunch on another day. Good basic food.
Service was inattentive the second time.
The place is friendly, pretty, and the food is good.
Give it a try.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BridgetRiver
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I traveled Solo from California on Copa Airlines, arriving Santiago airport (STI) where my bf was waiting for my arrival at Santiago airport.
Me and my Dominican boyfriend stayed at Hotel Casa Valeria from 8/23/13-8/28/13 while traveling the DR by Metro bus, Caribe bus, taxi, and scooters taxi.
From the airport, we took a taxi that took us to the Caribe Express station(20minutes away from airport (taxi charged us $5)
Caribe express will only take you to Charamicos, From Charamicos we took a taxi to hotel. (Easy!!), taxi's are already at the bus station waiting to take you to Sosua hotels.

Frank was very helpful, He emailing me the transportation options with fee, route schedules of buses, option of buses and so forth. THANKS BUNCH FRANK YOUR AWESOME!!!
I found this amazing hotel (Casa Valeria) navigating tripadvisor.

1. Reservations: I called the hotel direct from California,USA and spoke to Frank. Made my reservations over the phone. He didn't ask for a credit card, this is the first time that I book without a credit card, I was kind of worried on my arrival. But I called again to confirm and spoke to the owner Arien he reassured me and confirmed my reservations. He advised me to email them with the time and dates and flight arrival to hotelcasavaleria@gmail.com which I did, I received a confirmation email back in seconds and the following day Frank emailed me with a confirmation of my reservations of $300 for 5 nights stay. One thing that impressed me was that in the email he also included the options of transportation from Taxi vs. Metro and what time were the departure of the metros and how much it would cost me.
On my arrival I paid up front cash $300 for our stay, I chose to pay up front by choice just to get it out of the way.

2. Room: We stayed in room #5 which is located upstairs. Frank checked us in, fast check in. took us to our room. Showed us how to use the tv and airconditioning which worked perfect (just make sure to close the all the windows and it will keep the cold in) it took us a bit to figure that out! lol....
Rooms are clean and well kept, housekeeping would arrive as soon as we left the room. we would return to our rooms 2hours later after breakfast and our bed was done with clean towels.
Rooms are modern and well kept. (a Spanish style) beautiful plants out side. The accommodation were comfortable and private, with possibilities of sitting outside viewing the swimming pool. We hung out in the pool late at night. if you need extra towels get them yourself there is a little room down stairs in the corner to the left.
housekeeper: Rosa and Lucia where very sweet and polite. Thanks

3. Location: The location is great! its located right in the heart of Sosua. Restaurants, clubs, beaches, markets, liquor store, banks, everything is within walking distance of 2-5 minutes. You do not need to rent a car to get around, this paradise town of Sosua. I felt so welcomed and safe, This place was heart warming and cozy. I love this place!!! I will be back every year!!! Thanks a bunch Casa Valeria (Staff)

4. Food: The food is excellent, Everything that went past us looked great. Even if you aren't staying here it's well woth the visit for food and drinks. The layout is so Romantic for couples.
I tried different items and they were all great. The Chicken Fettuccine is delicious, so are all there soups (Vegetable soup/ good for hangovers.lol- my bf had a hangover the following night, poor baby, he doesn't drink but he did that night). The cutes thing!!! the bill at the restaurants comes in a cute chest box! lol. There is also a bar located in the Restaurant, great drinks with Anna, she kept me talking and kept me drink!!! Thanks Anna
They will also add all your drinks and food to your room and you can pay when you check out. They prefer cash so take plenty of it. Most places prefer Cash in Sosua...

5. Shopping: There is a flea market (5 minutes away,walking distance on the way to Playa Sosua) you can't miss it. This flea market has plenty of cheep souvenir (got me a cap for $5)
There is also a few shops to buy clothes, shoes, souvenir. etc.

6. Staff: The owner and staff are ablsolutely first class and really try to make your visit like a visit to friends.
Frank: So friendly, gave us the full scope of the area, location and layed out the choices of good restaurants and entertainments in town which we found very helpful.
Loved! Anna and Rosanna: Enjoyed long conversations with them as they educated me of the Dominican culture.

7. Security: there is a security at the front gate at watch all thru the night, the hotel is gated at night. during the day the window gates are open but then in the evening there closed. its very safe to walk in the street at night, on several occasions we walked very late at night with no problem.

8. Banks: There are two banks within walking distance of (5minutes) with atm outside on one (Banco Popular) that I noticed on Calle Dr. Alejo Martinez.

9: Markets: there is a mini market on the same street of the hotel.(1 minute walking distance)

10: Pharmacy: there is a pharmacy exiting the hotel to the right on the same street.

11. Security Safe: All rooms come with a Safe. I kept all my valiable (cash, passport) in there, not that you need to because on several occasion I left my phone charging and my portable chargers out and nothing went missing.

12. Language: They all speak English or the most that I noticed, I speak Spanish but spent my entire time speaking to Frank in English and everyone else. They all speak several languages, Franks from Sweden, Arien is from Holland, Lucia is from Germany. Cool mix crowd... felt so at home.

13. Local Restaurants and nightclubs:
Mamajuanas is restaurant/club: they have the most delicious best Pina Colada drink I have ever tasted!!! They will also cater to you and bring what every food you want from the local restaurants nearby. The hostess there are so much fun walking around dancing bachata and merengue. This place is so romantic for couples!!! a big plus. Beautiful lighting. This place is locate next door to Chichi's Burrito Hut(on the main street to all the club and restaurants).

Chichi's Burrito Hut: there Chicken fajita is delicious and the portions are huge. Fanny is the cook there, she is so vivid and funny!! She went out of here way to make Mangu for my BF that was not on the menu. Now that's service. Try these two places for a good meal. Both out meals were $16 here with drinks included.
Sinatra's Restaurant: located toward Playa Sosua is a classy restaurant with classical music. Great place for a Romantic meal.

It was Anna birthday (host/bartender) the biggest surprise was that they invited us to join them down town to one of the clubs. I felt so welcomed and family!!! I had so much fun with Anna, Rosanna, Arien and the staff. Thanks a bunch all. This was truly a memorable vacation!!!

I WILL BE BACK EVERY JUNE!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Barbie2009
Reviewed September 1, 2013

First time in the DR. Hotel sent a taxi to the airport for us. When we checked in we were greeted with a complimentary rum punch. Our room had a very comfortable king sized bed and the room was beautiful. The bathroom was huge, the a/c worked well. We only stayed one night because we had rented a condo, but I would most definitely stay here for an entire vacation. The food in the restaurant was good too!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Robert-Nancy D
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Our 2nd time here and Aryan continues to have the best staff an owner could have. We were treated like family and when my husband had a tiny stroke, Frank referred us to a doctor and the rest of our vacation went on perfectly. From management to maintenance and cleaning staff, we were treated better than any big city five star hotel. The bar and restaurant are awesome and Anna, Rosanna and Jenny were a blast to visit with while chillin out. Already making plans for next year. Its people like this who have helped us make our decision to retire here very easy. Ken and Teri

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Floridanomads
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The staff makes you feel at home, rooms are cleaned daily. I had a situation with the A/C, complained to the owner and he rectified the concern next morning. I reserved the room for 10 days but due to a misfortune, I had to shorten my stay, Ms. Rodilania, debited my account for only days consumed and didn't charge me any cancellation fee.
Frank and Rodilania treated me with great respect and kindness.

Thanks