“Casa Valeria”

Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I booked Casa Valeria for a few nights based on the great reviews here, well I can honestly say I doubt the credibility of these reviews as they are not reality. How can nobody seems to mention the rooms are absolutely TINY. Room for a double bed a sofa at the bottom and a dresser--THATS IT. I am 6'0 exactly and my feet were hanging over the end of the bed hitting against a wooden bed end. Nobody stay there less than 6'0??

The TV didnt work and was in a position that is not possible to watch anyways, its practically on the floor. There wasnt enough space in the room to get dressed and i cant imagine if there was children in the room. You try to relax in the porch but you are practically in your neighbours face. When the sun shines there is space for 2 beds to avail of the sun.

People said the owners were nice, well we found them to be very so so. They didnt have much time for us at all and came across as false, whenever i brought my issues i mentioned he just looked at me and shrugged his shoulders as much to say 'what do you want me to do about it'

Seriously this place is way over rated and the restaurant is rubbish--even a fellow guest agreed.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Charles R
Diana-Arien, Owner at Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2012

Hello Charles,
Thanks for your review, we are sorry to hear that you are not as happy with us as almost all other guest are, we try to treat everybody equal and with respect.
I would like to respond to the point you mentioned, as we have some doubt about them, by example you mention that the TV did not work and it was practically on the floor. We have always a spare TV and receiver box, in case one of them does not work we change them directly, a handyman is working here 5 days a week and the other days and times I take care for that. The TV’s are in 5 rooms on around 65 cm from the floor and in all the others at the wall at around 1.80 meters from the floor.
The beds are either queen or king-size, standard dimensions for beds in this country. If you feel the room to small that something I can’t judge, It’s what you are used and/or expecting. If you look at the pictures made by guest on this web page everybody can see how big (or small) the rooms are and how they are equipped.
On the pool site we have 4 sun chairs and 2 tables with in total 8 seats (4 of them rocking chairs), our tropical garden gives the possibility to choose to sit in the sun or in the shade.

There are newer reviews for Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel

Reviewed January 10, 2012

We stayed at casa valaria for 17 days during Christmas and New Years . We have been to the DR 5 times and this was by far are best vacation ever. The accomadations and staff were perfect. The owners were always ready to help us. The atmosphere was great Security was great.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Thomas M
Reviewed January 9, 2012

My fiancee and I just returned from a week in Sosua and went to the restaurant at Casa Valeria on our second night there, and it was so good we had to go back on our last night as well! He prefers steak and seafood and I just couldn't get enough of the pasta; we were both very happy with both the food and the service. Also, you must try the avocado salad. Plus: an adorable (but very polite, not the begging type) calico cat can be found lounging around. Best part overall, unlike other restaurants in Sosua this one allows you to bring your own wine. Highly recommended, by two food snobs from Chicago.

Room Tip: We only ate at the restaurant, so can't speak as to the quality of the hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank G W
Reviewed January 3, 2012

we had a wonderful time, great place to relax and very quiet. The owners are very warm and caring people and We wouldd go back for sure.:)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

hello fellow travelers just thought i drop a line to says this CASA VALERIA is the way to go ..beautiful staff excellent clean rooms great food and a quiet evenings ,, i have been to Sousa 3 times and this if i might add is the most pleasant stay of all when i return and i will return i hope to book here ....Jack Abercrombie

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 18, 2011

First time staying at Casa Valeria but I have eaten at the restaurant many times in the past. Easy to reserve a room and the owners promptly comfirmed availability. Very nice room with a beautiful bathroom, WiFi, electronic safe, etc. all for $55 a night. Look at my pictures! The room might be a little small compared to a business class hotel like a Courtyard but is perfect for a tranquil Caribbean vacation. The hotel and garden area are beautiful, quiet and well-kept.This is my new home in Sosua.
The restaurant is very nice with very good food, well prepared drinks, great service and good prices. Yes, as others have said the chocolate cake is outstanding (good desserts seem to be rare in Sosua and a vacation calls for some indulgence) and the coffee hot as well (rare as well). Everything is good about this hotel: owners, staff, location and I felt welcome from the minute I checked in. Small little three star hotel that gives a five star stay!

Room Tip: I am not going to say which room # this is because I want to keep it all to myself.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank spmc
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Stayed in one of the two apartments that Casa Valeria has for 3 weeks. As before, I had a great time. The apartment is small, two rooms separated by a half wall plus the bathroom, but does have a sink and gas stove which gives you the capability to cook if you want to. The refrigerator is the standard small bar refrigerator but I was able to use it for some food storage. There is also an instant coffee maker (4 cup size). Furniture consists of a queen bed (I am 6 ft and it was a little short), two night stands, a wardrobe with safe and ample number of hangers, a couch (comfortable for two), and a coffee table. Also TV, WiFi, and air conditioning plus a fan in the living area and a fan in the bedroom area. The TV was connected to cable and had many channels. I connected to WiFi often and did not have speed problems. The Shower (sometimes had to wait a couple minutes for hot water but always had hot water for a shower) and Toilet were in the bathroom and a modern type sink (separate from the food sink) was in the bedroom area. This area had a large mirror, good lighting and electrical outlet for a hair dryer if needed. When I first got there, the bathroom door knob had a problem. This was looked at and fixed immediately. The cleaning staff was always thorough (the room and linens were always clean) and very friendly. Arien and Diana are always very friendly, always stop by and say hi. The restaurant has a different special every night, all prices (very reasonable), include tax (other restaurants do not, important when tax is almost 20%), you can bring your own wine, and I have never had a bad meal there. I am from the Midwest in the US where we have very good beef and I feel the Filets at Casa Valeria are excellent. I also got in the bad habit of having the chocolate cake (wonderful) after every evening for desert. The restaurant is small and tranquil and a joy to eat there. Location was great. I felt I could safely walk to the discos and bars and back at any time with no problem. The security guard was always there to let you in. Two beaches were within easy walking distance. Thank you Arien and Diana and all the staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo