“Casa Valeria: Consistency in comfort and security.”

Casa Valeria Boutique Hotel
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Sosua
Maryland
“Casa Valeria: Consistency in comfort and security.”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Once more I visited Sosua from May 20 to 31, 2011. As I have always stated in my previous postings, two things are very important for me when traveling: comfort and security, anything additional is just a bonus in my view. After considering all sorts of facts, my choice was simple: Casa Valeria, this peaceful hotel nested in the heart of Sosua. I was very impressed by one thing among others: the hotel management truly listens to customers criticisms and suggestion, and makes every effort to meet demands. Between my first trip, the one before this last one and this last trip, I have seen a constant improvement. The minors problems here and there have been completely fixed. It is amazing, I almost had no complaints from my last trip and, coming from me, the pickiest guest you can imagine, the hotel must not see this as a free pass, they have really made a lot of efforts to keep the hotel attractive. Although the restaurant recently lost its chef but the new hotel "General manager"-"chef", Eddy, a former restaurant worker from New York is also a great cook, I have enjoyed many of the dishes he fixed for me, he is a friendly man and do not hesitate to ask him how you want your meal, he will accommodate you. Rudy and Roxanna the waitresses are always ready to help with a great, warm caribbean smile. Arien and his spouse Diane will go out of their way to make your stay the most enjoyable. As a disclaimer, I must say that my flight was scheduled to leave at 23:25 and I was supposed to checkout at noon and did not know where in the world to go between 12:00 noon and 23:25, the hotel management let me stay until 21:00. This positive review is not because of that kindness, it is a fair assessment of the tough reviewer I consider myself to be, I will criticize when they fail to meet my standards and praise them when they do meet or exceed them.
Again, if safety and security and comfort matter to you, choose Casa Valeria, a friendly and very quiet hotel in the heat of Caribbean nights!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Harmattan69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Nevada City, California
Reviewed May 3, 2011

I had my Mom who is 87 and the housekeepers and staff were so friendly and respectful to her and us, every morning the maids would say, "Como esta Madre?" and she just felt really pampered and well cared for. The pool is nice and the courtyard atmosphere is soothing. No noise problems, a bit of a plumbing issue but since they have a handyman who seems to work full time there I'm sure they'll get it fixed. Refrigerators in rooms...mini super just down the block.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank watermelonlight
East Sussex
Reviewed April 15, 2011

We stayed for one night as Sosua is near the airport. Casa Valeria is a very nice little quiet hotel. The restaurant is excellent. There is a nice quiet beach at the end of their road by the Waterfront Restaurant, which is also excellent. Personally we hated Sosua Beach and surrounding areas - but we like small untouristy places and much preferred Punta Rucia and Las Galeras. Sosua beach is more like Tenerife or Benidorm and is not our thing at all. Lots of drunk tourists, prostitutes, bars, nightclubs and tacky shops. It was the only place in the DR where we felt hassled by the shop owners and even the school kids asked for money. So - if you like Tacky Touristy places, pretty young prostitutes, fat drunk tourists, you'll be fine. Can't fault the hotel though, and I'm sure there are nice places to go in the surrounding countryside. And as I said, the beach at the end of the road was very quiet and pretty. Breakfast was great.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sally W
Rochelle, Illinois
Reviewed April 10, 2011

We stayed at Casa Valeria last year. Although I found the price a little higher than I preferred we gave it a go. Very speedy and pleasant check in. The room was very nice and the bathroom was very modern and LARGE. We quickly hit the pool and within a few moments we were presented with two complimentary Rum Punch drinks. The area of the hotel has many discos and there are tourists and dominicans partying at all hours in that neighborhood. Probably NOT a family destination. The dining room is very cool and the food was always tasty. I would certainly stay there again but might try harder to get a better rate.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Don B
Hawthorne, Florida
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Casa Valeria is a quaint, unpretentious hotel centrally located in Sosua, Dominican Republic. It is walking distance to many restaurants, bars, shopping, and the beach. Despite its location, once you enter the gate you could very well be in the tropics, because of its natural garden-like landscaping. The main attraction to this small hotel is the staff. Dutch owners Ariel and Diana are knowledgeable about the Dominican Republic and are always gracious and helpful, as is their assistant, Frank. The restaurant chefs, servers, and room attendants are all personable and seem to genuinely like working at Casa Valeria. Travelers seeking U.S.-like, big-chain hotels in Sosua will be disappointed. The rooms in Casa Valeria are small in comparison, but are quite adequate. The pool is constantly maintained and the restaurant is just steps away. By the way, they have the best chocolate cake in town! This was my second stay at Casa Valeria and hubby and I plan to stay again in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 6, 2011

From the time that I made reservations for my stay I felt that I had made to right choice.
If you like personized service and grand hosiptality, this is the place to stay in Sosua.
I was completely satisfied with my accomodations and I would recommend Casa Valeria to anyone traveling to Sosua. This splendid abode, is a small 11 room picturesque, charming, and enchanting place to spend your stay while visiting Sousa. The owners Arien & Diana were very welcoming and helpful, but most importantly, on site. which made me feel very comfortable and safe. This is a tranquil and very peaceful place and you would never know that you are a stone's throw away from all of the nitelife action that Sosua offers. As a pleasent caveat, the onsite resturant offers a majestic expirence for the refined pallet.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Glenwood, Iowa, USA
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Very nice hotel. I felt the hotel was great for the money and I enjoyed staying there very much. Don't expect a fancy hotel but that will cost you 200 a night. While the room was a little small, everything was new and clean. The pool was always clean. The staff was always great and very helpful. I enjoyed the restaurant very much. Small and cozy and reasonable, I ate there almost every night for 3 weeks. Location was extremely convenient to all nightlife and very close to the beach. There are only two things that prevented me from giving 5 stars. One, the room was a little small. With me that was no problem. The second and biggest was the noise level at night. The street noise can cause problems for some people and the walls are fairly thin if you have a noisy neighbor. Another word about this. I did not complain to the staff. I am sure they would have done their best to help with this if I had.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo