“Great Experience”
Review of Divecenter Merlin

Divecenter Merlin
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive center Merlin was founded in Sosua 1994. Base leader and PADI Instructor Jurgen Rumpenhorst and his team speak English, German, French, Dutch and Spanish. The dive shop is open all year round. More than 20 different dive sites can be reached by boat in 5 - 20 minutes.
Ayr, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife was looking for a dive shop when the resort we were at failed us miserably. She ended up calling Merlin's based on the tripadvisor reviews, and we were not let down. Great customer service, very relaxed atmosphere. Wish we had known about the lunch available as it looked and smelled great. Excellent value and thanks for the great experience Jurgen (Juergen?) and Gilbert. Highly recommended.

Visited December 2013

Rockville, Maryland
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Careful, thorough and professional - and still Island-style relaxed”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My previous diving experiences at Sosua have been, well, honestly, a little rushed - an early start, a short surface-interval, get your two dives done before lunchtime. That's not the way they do it at Merlin Dive Center - they put their attention on safety and thorough preparation, and at the same time they're so relaxed and unhurried about it that they brought me back to Island Time, too!

Jürgen and his staff are mostly from German-speaking countries, and so are many of their clientele. It took me aback to have all the conversation in German, coming back from my first dive with them ... and I was surprised that we only did that one dive in the morning, and returned to the shop for lunch and a long surface interval. After lunch, though, and after hanging out with my fellow divers and "just chilling," I was relaxed and ready for the next dive.

We had new divers on several dives, people progressing from basic scuba to Open Water certification, and I admired the instructors' calm, reassuring, easy demeanor as they coached the new divers and helped them develop their skills. At the same time, their quiet, friendly advice helped me get more competent and relaxed in the water, and I learned to be a better diver, going with them.

Next time I visit the North Coast of the DR, I'll be diving with Merlin.

Visited December 2013
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“Best quality, prices and staff (North Coste, DR)”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My first time diving with Merlin was a total experience. My regulator broke down before the dive and Jan (staff member) offered me to fix it right there, but I didn't want to hold the group down so I said no to him and snorkeled there for a few minutes. I stoppped because Jan came up and gave me his equipment so I didn't lose the dive. That was such a great detail. After the dive Gil (another staff member) fixed my regulator...FOR FREE. These folks are just great and they will do whatever they can to make you feel you're home, and trust me, you will feel your home.

They have a bar where they make juices from fresh fruits (I recommend the Merlin Fitness Juice) and they also sell really good food there. They have comfortable bathrooms, showers and places to store your equipment.

Also, they can take to many dive spots. Airport wall, Zingara wreck, Coral gardens, La puntilla, Three rocks, and more.

I'm picky in almost everything in my life, so trust me when I say: Visit Merlin Dive Center. You won't regret it.

Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Away with the Merlins of Sosua!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Called for snorkelling (as I am not a confident swimmer), ending up trying out Scuba diving. What a fantastic team (lots of confidence build up and laughters). Very down to earth and friendly staff who even would organise a barbecue after a Sunday diving to help everybody relax. I had such an amazing time and in the end passed my Open Water and Nitrox. Already making plans to come back and progress in my diving.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Mona L
Croydon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“VIP treatment from Peter and the crew”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Some of the best diving experiences we have ever had.
As a partially sighted PADI qualified diver who loves diving it is not always an easy and relaxed thing for me to do. However all the staff at Merlin were as friendly and helpful as it was possible to be. My husband and I were truly treated as VIPs by everyone. Our equipment was carried to the boat for us for each dive! (This has always been the hardest part for me.) The diving was excellent with a different site each time, so many different fish and beautiful coral.
Thank you all. We will return.

Visited June 2013