“Great choice”
Review of Tropix Hotel

Tropix Hotel
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Sosua
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in this lovely hotel. It is only 300m away from the center of Sosua. The staff is very friendly and the rooms are very clean. Due to its size of only 10 rooms it is also very quit and you can relax easily. Also you feel very secure which is not always given in Sosua. Their “no houseguest rule” which refers to the prostitutes is also a big plus. Carl, the manager will welcome you with great tips of what to do and where to eat.
If you want to stay at a place that is of the beaten track then this is a place for you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Robert H
There are newer reviews for Tropix Hotel

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I knew this was the perfect hotel the moment I dragged in, alone, carrying all my stuff, in the middle of the afternoon. The first thing Carl did was sit me down and feed me some rice and beans and stewed chicken that Carl had just cooked. It was probably the best Dominican food I had on my trip. It was my first time to the Dominican Republic and really didn't know what to expect. Carl, Juan and Morena made me feel immediately at home and gave me a secure base from which to embark on my Dominican adventure.

It is a modest hotel of detached bungalows, unassuming from the street in a nice residential neighborhood. The grounds are immaculate and the landscaping top notch. The pool, although small, was deep and perfect for me. The room was clean, airy, cute and very comfortable. The location is ideal as you're not down in the thick of things downtown, which carry on all night, but only a short walk of literally 2-3 minutes. Sosua Beach, which I would hold up to any beach around (and I'm from Maine) is only a few minutes walk after that. Alicia Beach, another incredible beach, is maybe a ten minute walk. The highway is a 45 second walk for transportation in either direction, to Puero Playa or Cabarete, and so is the Supermarket and ATM (where I got my pesos from).

I would highly recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a nice, clean, friendly and modest place to stay at a very affordable rate. When I left I five days later I was very pleased with myself for picking it. Perfect.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Hotel Tropix is a great little find. My wife and I stayed there for three nights and had a wonderful time. It's probably more for travelers or families (as it doesn't allow for dirty old men with young girls...if you know what I mean). The staff is charming and kind while the manager, Carl, is knowledgable about the area/culture and very willing to chat away with you about most anything and makes for good company :) Thanks for a lovely time!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank randypoor
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I've recently stayed 3 nights at Tropix Hotel; all the people working in this hotel provided an excellent service with any kind of recommendations regarding Sosua, Cabarete and other close locations.

Rooms are very clean, internet connections is strong and works perfectly (better than any US or Canadian hotels...!).

What to say about Tropix? I will definitely come back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Max F
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Me and my fiancée visited Tropix while we were exploring northern coast of DR. We didn't want to leave this great place where staff is more than helpful and willing to put extra effort to make everything perfect and enjoyable.

Little cabins (around 30 sq. m) are very clean and welcoming (not one of those generic rooms you might have encountered before), colourful and nicely arranged. Pool is clean, located perfectly in a lush and well kept garden yard that justifies the name of the place more than enough. We didn't take the breakfasts from the hotel menu as we prefer to cook our own food but the staff always remembered to make a fresh coffee.

To top it all, the price is the best you can get. We double checked that.

Also, if you're friend of animals as I am, you'd be happy to know that the Tropix is supporting local animal shelter. All and all, I can hardly find anything that could lower our enthusiasm for this special place. I strongly recommend it to everyone willing to spend some time in Sosua. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Glybin
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My partner and I wanted to stop over in Sosua for a night before our flight back to the UK. I found the hotel on Tripadvisor and booked by email. When we arrived we were greated by Carl and shown to our room.

We had a double room with separate WC and shower which was clean and spacious enough for our needs. There is a nice clean pool in the courtyard and if we were staying longer I could just see us spending nice relaxing evening by the pool.

Breakfast cooked by the friendly staff although basic was delicious and considering we had been staying at Cayo Levantado the previous two weeks compared very favourably.

Although the checkout time is 12 noon they allowed us to stay in our room until 2pm the next day and arranged a taxi service for us to the airport.

The price for our room was an astonishingly good value $44 for the night which including all taxes.

The staff were very helpful and friendly and I would highly recommend Hotel Tropix

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael O
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I think that the other reviewers have already said most of it... The hotel is very pleasing and a reasonable walking distance away from one of the nicer beaches in the Puerto Plata area. The staff are great and keep their standards high in terms of service as well as weeding out questionable clientèle so I felt very safe.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple