“Awesome stay - friendly staff, great location, great price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Coco Hotel

Coco Hotel
Ranked #20 of 39 Specialty Lodging in Sosua
Edmonton, Canada
“Awesome stay - friendly staff, great location, great price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

I was looking for a cheap, nice place to stay in Sosua to get away from busy life in Santo Domingo, and I found the right spot. Coco Hotel is located a short walk from all the bars and restaurants you need, but without being too close, meaning you can truly relax in a peaceful atmosphere around the pool or at the bar. It's also close to a nice little beach called Playa Chiquita, again a nice place to go without the crowds.

The staff here are incredibly friendly and helpful - they are a family run business and they can provide you with all the info you need for the area, and were always looking to help me out to make my stay better. My room had a TV with loads of channels and a fan to keep cool, so you couldn't ask for more for $20/night!

I would recommend this hotel without hesitation to anyone looking for a nice vacation in Sosua, whether they are on a budget or not!
-Jon

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank jrc86

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2010

I am not sure where to start. the reasons i picked the coco hotel to stay at was for the reviews i read on here. most all was good. In america the coco would be torn down. the pictures look good. unreal conditions. nasty nasty rooms. unclean nasty, they did have hot water but its so hot out who cares how about the water just trickled out of the faucet. shower and sink. toliet would take im not kidding 10 or more flushes. the tv was something you would find at goodwill. i had an a/c but it was something they must of found in a dumpster. didnt put much cold air out. Ian the manager. complained about the high cost of hydro and me leaving my a.c on. the drinks was over priced. the coco is not close to the town or sousa beach at all. you dont want to walk that far. save the motorcycle ride and get a place closer to town like all inclusive. NO water in the pool at all said they was going to fix it never did. they charged me 20 for a ride from the air port pop. i got a ride NOT from them back to the airport for 5 bucks. they seemed real shady. i didnt trust them nor did i feel comfortable at all. they claim there is a private beach LOL LOL there is. you walk through some woods to get to it. this is NOT the cocos property. its private property of someone else. they ask me if i get caught back there dont tell them anything about the coco telling me i could go swimming. Ian the manager was sleeping most the day or drunk.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank black_mamba1
Ontario Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

We stayed at the Coco Feb 5-14, 2010. It's a nice hotel, picturesque, quiet and laid back, which we really enjoyed. The grounds were and kept nicely. We stayed in room 7 on the second floor and had no problems at all with any bugs, spiders or cockroaches. We heard from some other tourists, that wasn't the case at their hotels!! We never used the AC once because we had a nice breeze and combined with the ceiling fan, was perfect. The rooms are basic, it's not 5 star but comfortable. There are things that need to be looked after though. The plumbing needs updating and some minor fixes in the bathroom. Maybe a heavy duty cleaner to get the stains off the shower floor/walls, but it did smell and feel clean. We had clean sheets and towels when we arrived and the bed was not lumpy either. We had a closet - with a rod - to hang clothes on, a working safe, dresser, fridge (a must if you are staying longer than a couple of days) and a TV that was a little fuzzy sometimes. We had free wi-fi which we couldn't use in our room but it worked anywhere around the pool area and bar which was fine. You could also do your own laundrey whenever you wanted. The pool was definitely an asset since the private beach was too rough for us to go swimming, but it is stunning in it's views! There is no restaurant on site but there are eateries within a 5-10 minute walk or someone at the bar would call and order something for you and have it delivered. I do recommend Phillipe's chicken at Simply Red's!! We opted to walk everywhere just for the exercise and am happy to say that we are one of the few tourists that escaped the 'Dominican Tattoo' that we saw so many people sporting from the motoconchos. The few times we did use the motoconcho, they were fairly cheap and quick. We had no problems with airport transfers. We were picked up and dropped off on time. We met lots of wonderful and colourful people there whether they were tourists, long termers, locals or the critters. The owners were great, always ready to give you advice on things to see/do/eat. Shelly was fabulous and I really missed her when she left. Ian and Marlenie were great too, always helpful but after Shelly left, standards did slide a bit. There was no propane for drying clothes, the pool water got a little less and dirtier everyday...I personally missed Shelly's pool boy every morning!! The water was shut off at night which did make brushing teeth, having a shower and using the toilet difficult. I did have to ask a couple of times for the water to be turned on (which was a little irritating) but it was done right away. The water is solar heated which really sucked when you wanted a warm shower in the evening. I only had 1 lukewarm shower out of 9 days, only when I took the shower in the middle of the afternoon. Other than that, we looked after our own room since that is what we prefer and towels/bedding were always clean and on hand. It was also secured at night too. We were looking for decent, basic accomodations so we could save money for trips, trying out different foods and really seeing the culture, and that's exactly what we got. The things we experienced while there, you couldn't find at a resort. I do recommend this hotel to singles or couples on a short term basis - under 7 days. Any longer than that and I personally would rent an apartment or condo just to do your own cooking. Best of luck to you guys and thanks for a great stay and if we ever come back to the island, we will definitely be stopping for a drink!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LucyandMark
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

This is the best hotel for the price. It's family run, super friendly with a great mixture of characters as guests. It's close enough to down town to walk or take a motoconcho for 25 pecos. This place will make you smile and keep your wallet happy. You couldn't ask for anything better.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

I spent a week at the Coco Hotel, from January 28th until February 4th, with 3 girlfriends. We had a wonderful time meeting the guests and the extremely friendly and helpful staff.
The Coco is an economy hotel or hostel for the traveller on a budget. It is located just outside the resort area of Sosua. We felt immersed in the culture of the area by living in the midst of the local neighbourhood and grocery store, dairy and excellent pizza place. It was very new for me to see chickens on the road.
We were in walking distance to the main beach and tourist stores, but really enjoyed the beautiful pool at the Coco and its access to the spectacular private beach located a 3 minute walk behind the hotel.
The pool had just been repainted and it took the owner, Shelley, a couple of weeks of frustration to get the water company to come and open the valve to have the pool filled. Visitors need to understand that the DR is not as advanced as the countries where most visitors ,who can afford to travel , come from. If you are looking for all the comforts of home, stay home. If you want to experience what it is like living in the DR, come and learn and enjoy.
No meals are provided, but staff would arrange delivery of take-out meals for us. We enjoyed sitting around the bar and pool and socializing in the evenings. There is a TV and internet access at the bar.
It was a great pleasure, every morning, to have local vendors stop by the bar to sell us fresh fruit for our breakfast and snacks. There are many restaurants, no more than a 10 minute walk away, however, a motorcycle taxi stand is located right across the road from the hotel and always ready to drive you into town.
I had a wonderful holiday.
Thankyou Shelley

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Puerto Plata
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

It all depends on who is actually running the Coco Hotel.

The Coco Hotel I like: If Shelly and Neil (the owners) are present, this is a fine place to come and visit and for a great price for those that are looking for a budget place to stay. Let's be honest here. If you are searching for a 5 star hotel, but only want to pay $25 USD a night, what do you expect? You get what you pay for. Shelly and Neil will go out of their way to accommodate you. The rooms are basic and when I write basic I mean exactly this. A queen sized bed which is barely big enough for two adults. Furniture, safes, closets, plumbing, mirrors, ceiling fans, TVs, and AC vary depending on the room. Some rooms are ok, some are horrible. During a stay in 2009, Shelly and Neil were there and everything was great. The pool was pristine and the atmosphere was pleasant. There is a nearby beach (3 minute walk and not owned by the hotel) which is to die for. Wow! It is worth the money alone for this. I truly like the owners, they are fantastic people.

The Coco Hotel I dislike:

It is managed by the owners son. When I arrived the 2nd time, it was a disaster. The pool was half empty, had trash floating in it and the water was being pumped out of it and into the cistern to be used as our bathing water. The owner’s son promised that their water problems would be corrected, but never were. This was repulsive! Multiple problems with the management which all depended on the manager. He was the same manager, however, you simply could not tell which “one” would show up at any given moment. I just could not understand how such a nice little hotel I visited in 2009 can be completely opposite from the one I visited in 2010? Same owners? Yes, except the real owners were away and the son was left in charge. In closing, I will strongly suggest that you ask if the manager’s parents are at the hotel before booking. Until that is corrected, I would not suggest this hotel to anyone unless this is the type of atmosphere they are looking for. If the owners are reading these reviews, please do something before you lose your wonderful investment. Good luck!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Rubio4u
atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

I've traveled all over the Dominican Republic, this is the worst hotel in the D.R. If you don't mind bugs, cold water, and old furniture, this is your place. It's like a 1 star cheap hotel. There is no value in this place. Spend a few dollars more and stay at a better hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo