“Cheap and good hotel”
Review of Coco Hotel

Coco Hotel
Ranked #21 of 40 Specialty Lodging in Sosua
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Coco hotel is currently the 8 most popular hotel of 24 hotels in Sosua, but all the 7 other hotel with better review is double or more expensive than Hotel Coco.
So my understanding from other reviews and from my own experience for stay 1 month at this hotel in February/March , is that hotel Coco is maybe the best hotel in Sousa for a low price , that charge you from 25-30 dollar a night.
For this price is hotel Coco a very good bargain and special is you are a single traveller on a low budget . And also very popular for diver groups

The rooms are simple, but you get wireless internet, cable television, refrigerator and safety box, some times not to hot water. And they can wash your laundry for 200 peso Great pool and a very nice bar, where you easy can get in touch with other hotel guest and other visitors or chat with the nice owners. So as a single traveller will you never feel alone in this hotel.

Hotel Coco is located little far from the city of where things happen in Sosua, But is very easy to get a "motochono" motorcycle ride to the city ,only a few minutes ride, cost from 25 to 35 peso at day time and 50 peso at night each way. From the hotel to the city is it some desert and dark places, so I will not recommend for safety reasons any to walk back to the hotel at night ( a 10- 15 minutes walk). The hotel has good security and a night watchman . If it is little negative thing with this hotel is that it is little far from the city or action in Sousa, but is it positive that is it quiet at night, that can be difficult is you live in the city.

But close to the hotel is it a small and cheap store, that sell the most basic things you need, and there are also two small and cheap Italian style restaurant, and also a Mexican restaurant, nice and cheap Mexican food, but if you order fish or other food in this restaurant can they charge to high, compared with other restaurants in Sousa is their good fish meal to expensive (450 peso). Coco hotel can for the moment only offer you a Dominican lunch at around 1.pm, but you have to reserve in advance (200 peso) . I believe they will serve more snack food in the future. If you are hungry and will not eat out, will they help you you order food from the Bolognese and Rocky restaurants.

Hotel Coco new owners and staff are very nice and make a good atmosphere, mostly because they treat their employers very good. And I know they will improve the hotel and the rooms in the future.
My conclusion is that hotel Coco is maybe the best bargain for a cheap hotel in Sousa, only negative is that is little far from city core, but then you will live in a more quiet place.

And at last will I thank the owner for a nice stay in February/March, and look forward to take a beer with Ian and the other S... (Irish names) bad memory. lol..

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Chrismic59
There are newer reviews for Coco Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2009

My husband and I stayed here two nights... the new owners are Canadians and they were so great. They chatted with us and have really made the hotel nice. It was $30 a night, was recommended by our Dive Master in town and it all worked out. They are off the beaten path from the craziness of the town and that is nice for a bit of peace and quiet to sleep. They are also close enough to just walk and be at the beach or the town. Sousa wasn't our favorite town though, we aren't really night people and it is for the type who like to party at the bars. We did have some good Italian and Mexican food in town and visited the huge SuperMercado right at the main streetlight going into town. The main Playa Sousa is filled with vendors and can be quite overwhelming if you aren't used to it, but if you want to buy that type of stuff it is perfect for you. We had a much greater beach experience a few towns East and didn't spend much time at the beaches here. Back to the room, it was clean and the bed was comfy enough, one of our windows didn't have a screen, but we didn't have much of a mosquito problem so it was okay. Also, we didn't get any hot water in our shower, but again they just bought it and maybe they will fix it, we didn't even mention it because we just took one shower. Didn't use the pool, but it was there and clean.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank utbackroads
Reviewed October 1, 2008

love the coco hotel great for singles and the customer service is wonderful thanks gerald for the great stay and I will be back soon

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank tonz01
Reviewed June 7, 2008

Great value for the money, perfect for the single male traveler, great quiet location, close enough to all the action, moto concho (motorcycle taxi) are always available to take you to town, & is safe( 1 minute to everywhere) beach, casino, restaurants, bars, discos, but far enough from the action to be able to rest when wanted, the best part is the owner, Gerald Nicolas, is truly interested in his guests having a great time, he goes out of his way to tell us the prices to pay where to go & where not to go, Coco Hotel can be used as your primary base or for chica's-I spent 5 nights will come back often-you owe it to yourself to check out this gem!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tranquillohombre
Reviewed May 10, 2008

While I didn't actually stay at Coco Hotel this time around, I did hang out there for drinks several times, and get a tour of the place, as I most likely will be back in June .

The rooms were basic , but a good size and very clean, there was a safe deposit box and TV in all the rooms. I understand there has been considerable renovations since I was there last.

Gerry the owner, will go out of his way to make sure your stay ins enjoyable, right down to making sure there are fresh coconuts on hand for my new fav drink, Brugal and coconut water and downloading a music selection just for us!!. Great atmosphere at the bar. one big advantage over the AI's , BRUGAL is on hand ! Altagracia was our bartender at the time, and she came out to party with us out a few times . The hotel being small, it is very easy to make new friends. Request at least one meal cooked by Diego!

The hotel is ideal for single travellers, but is a comfortable and safe environment, I will be going back with my 4yr old.

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed April 23, 2008

I stayed 3 nights here in March and I want to say really thank you to Gerald. this hotel is very clean, safety, reasonable price and close to beach. I definitely recommend Coco hotel to my friends and people who is thinking go to Sosúa. Coco hotel's hospitality is the best.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank yoshitomo
Reviewed April 6, 2008

i spent my holiday in this nice hotel. Have rely nice tim. Friendly people who work there, nice meal an clean pool.
I'm wondering what's happened to old dutch guy Tony who own the hotel in that time? If any body know something about him please contact me..

• Stayed: January 2005, traveled with friends